Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Foot-wear

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 5 October 2003
Now the cold, wet weather is creeping up, I am looking into changing my footwear.
I am looking into the Hi-Tec magnum range (Link below) the last time I wore these was about 8 years ago and remember they were quite good.
What footwear do you guys and girls wear, or looking into to help battle the cold, wet and slippery icy weather coming up
Alan

http://www.yanix.co.uk/magnum/index.htm

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 5 October 2003
It has to be a good pair of waterproof  walking boots with thermal socks Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 5 October 2003
Hi Alan,
          I wear Doctor Martins all year at work because they are comfortable and support your ankles with ladder use. Grin

Steve
Hi majestic
I totally agree have you checked out the hi-tec range these are issued to the police forces etc, and through recommendations these are one of the best foot wear makes on the market.
This is one of the most important pieces of PPE many times over looked
Alan

Hi steve
I used to have a pair of Dr Martins years ago, They look smart too, only problem was breaking them in, you think?
Alan
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 5 October 2003
Hi Allan,
          Yes they do take a bit of wearing in but they last ages. Grin

Steve
Hi steve
I must off got my 1st pair when I was working with my dad I was about 15 and my god never forget the pain as all his work was in kings cross walking from job to job in a tight area.
Nearly died but they did last and look smart
Cheers Alan
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 5 October 2003
The good old days, I got my first pair in 1969 when I was a skinhead,only 2 shops within a 20 mile radius of my house stocked them, they cost 5 guineas( £5. 5 shillings in old money, £5.50 in new Cool
Posted by matt (matt), 5 October 2003
Alan

which type are you thinking of

they have some nice MOD boots for sale, a little pricey though Sad
Hi Matt
I like the look of the Magnum Elite 900 8" WP boots or the Magnum Elite 900 8" Leather WP boots
are a bit pricey as you say but will last
Alan
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 9 October 2003
Hi John,
           I bought my first pair when i was 15 and have never been without a pair since and i am 40 now. Grin

Steve
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 9 October 2003
i just started wearing my magnums now the weathers turning. i dont like boots when i am climbing ladders. so normally wear trainer boots. magnums have the flexibility of trainers with the ankle support of boots. plus they are very warm
Posted by fez (fez), 14 October 2003
Anyone know a cheap(ish) stockist of Magnum boots?
Posted by Polepro (Polepro), 14 October 2003
Always check that your chosen footwear has a ridgid sole, hold the shoe at the heel and toe and try to bend them, if they bend under the arch you could end up with fallen arches form standing on ladder rungs all day.

Tom
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 14 October 2003
Hi fez
Try this link dont only stock Hi-tec but others to
Alan.

http://www.yanix.co.uk/magnum/index.htm

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 14 October 2003
Hi Tom,
          Thats what the doctor said i had when i went to see him about pain in my foot. He said it is caused through not enough support in the arch and it would take 6 months to two years to get better after putting orthotic insoles in my boots. So when you are choosing footware take a close look at that area. Undecided

Steve Lowe
gibbouk,
            Do your magnums give good arch support Huh

Steve
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 14 October 2003
they seem to give good support all round. nice and light and flexible. very warm as well. wont tell you how much i paid. just to say that my local charity shop had some given to them all brand new... very lucky day
Can you buy these magnums in high street shops Huh

Steve
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 14 October 2003
Are they made by  walls Grin
I asked for that one Grin Grin
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 14 October 2003
Hi steve
We have a place in clacton called the trading post sell work gear camping gear bit of army that sort of stuff them sort of places sell it
cheers alan
We have something like that around here. I will give it a go Smiley

Many Thanks

Steve
Posted by Ken (Ken), 14 October 2003
I swear by Merrell trainers. Go for the Octogrip sole found on the Chamaeleon range: mega grippy even on wet or slate roofs (rooves?). They come in a goretex lined version but I've found the unlined version fine even in wet and cold conditions. I guess they are lighter than DMs or Magnums.
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 14 October 2003
I think i'm goin to go for a pair of these for this winter, look closely at the grip, i think they gonna do the job for those tiles and slates, help stop your foot slipping back?,... a bit anyway,  Smiley http://www.catfootwear.co.uk/docs/mens_casual_pendleton.htm

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.