Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Pump maintenance

Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 1 March 2004
My pump has just died on my steameasy 400. I was wondering if anyone knows if they are repairable or do I have to just face the cost of another brand new one.
It's a flojet 70psi. Are they easy to change etc, never done one?  Huh

Regards

Paul
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 1 March 2004
You most probably need a new one. Replacement is a doddle - just remove the old one and reverse what you had to do, obviously making a note of which wire attatches to which.
Dave.
Posted by chrisw (chrisw), 1 March 2004
My Shurflo 100 psi went last week, couldn't source a new one in a hurry so those nice people at williamson pumps suggested replacing the brushes. £25 later working a dream, had to retighten the screws on the pump head after 2 days now pumping perfectly perfect  Grin  Cool  Grin
Chris
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 March 2004
Paul,

They are extreamly easy to change, just be carefull not to overtighten the hose-tails - they are a tapered thread.

If it is a demand pump (identifiable by the pressure switch at the top), one of the main causes of failure is the switch itself. This is available as a separate part, and easy to change. To test, disconnect from mains, disconnect the two black wires from the pressure switch and connect them together. reconnect to mains, switch on pump and if it runs, renew switch. if stil not running the motor is faulty - renew pump.

If a bypass pump (no pressure switch), and the pump runs without pumping, the 'poppel' valves are a common cause of failure. These are little plastic 'mushrooms' located within the pump-head.
Poppel valves, diaphragm and  a couple of other parts are available as an overhaul kit. Kits are available for both types of pump. All the above parts are  available from most pump suppliers.

If you need to get the machine up and running quickly and decide to buy a new pump, it is still worth repairing the old one so that you have a standby.

John.
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 1 March 2004
You can get repair kits i think but easiest just to change the unit you should get one for £100 or under i think they are very easy to change  (In a ninja )but make sure you replace any of the plastic fiitings if they seem threaded its a flase economy if they leak on you.

this may be useful.http://www.dualpumps.co.uk/product_pages/pumps/pumps.htm

Could be good time to spend a little more and go up to a 135 psi
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 March 2004
Steady on Alex,

This is a Steameasy - single three-stage vac - best not to put down more water than he can pick up!

John.

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 1 March 2004
Fair point sorry  Embarassed Embarassed, ignore my reckless newby advice.

I forget  im a ninja chap you see
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 2 March 2004
Alex,

Grasshopper,  do not forget that as a ninja, you have powers other cannot achieve.

John.
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 2 March 2004
If it's the motor that's failed, it is frequently the rectifier that has gone down. This is contained within the bell end which holds the bearing and carbon brushes as well as the rectifier circuitary. They typically cost about £25 or so and are a screw on/off arrangement as long as you use the supplied "hairpin" to hold the carbon brushes back. The Flojet and the Shureflo are similar in this respect.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 2 March 2004
Hello Uncle Kens back with his Didgeridoo
Posted by Kinver_Clean (Kinver_Clean), 3 March 2004
Welcome back Ken

As Ken says it is usually the 'bell end' that is the cause, the brushes wear out fairly quickly but are easy to replace. If the pump has stuttered to a stop while on a job then they have worn down and are making intermittant contact, look to replace them. If you can get access to an air line then blow the carbon out of the body and armature section, be careful not to break on of the fine copper wires cos thats fatal. The pump should be good for another 500 hrs or so.

Trevor
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 3 March 2004
Last Year I believe Ken organised a machine maintence day.

Being shy and not wanting you all to find out what a plonker I am I did not come. (Actually Wife was in Hospital long term}

I have no such hang ups and think it6 could save us a few bob if such an event could be arranged again.

Ian

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.