Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

The correct way to clean a steam room?

Posted by petra (petra), 13 December 2003
Ok you lot, here's a good one for you...what is the correct and proper way to clean a steam room (not a sauna)....
Petra
Posted by petra (petra), 15 December 2003
come on u lot help me
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 15 December 2003
Hi Petra
What sort of surfaces do you have there - I'm assuming floor and wall tiles with moulded plastic seating!? What level of soiling is there - is it a regular job or a one-off deep clean?
Regards
Mike
Regular job, tiled floor and moulded seats and walls, the guy has been using heavy traffic remover,but i thought chemicals may be dangerouse as when using the steam room there may be chemical particals left and they could end up on the skin....have got a steam cleaner thought of using that....dirt isnot bad
petra
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 15 December 2003
Hi Petra
Yes, I'd go with the steam cleaner, particularly if it has a vacuum unit on it. Alternatively, moulded walls are easy to clean with a large window squeegee and, because there's no residue, it will look cleaner once its done (rather than having smears from cloths etc). Because of the nature of the environment you wouldn't need to use anything else because you won't get a soil build up.
The floor is obviously the hardest part to clean and if they are non-slip tiles you may get a build up of body fats which are best cleaned with a mild acid based product. Obviously, rinse thoroughly (which shouldn't be a problem in a steam room).
Any other awkward corners and fittings I would have thought could be done with even the smallest steam cleaner.
'Heavy traffic remover' sounds like it may be an alkaline degreaser which would be no good for limescale or bodyfat removal - does the floor look dull by any chance?
Regards
Mike  
floor is a bit dull and the grout is black in places

Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 15 December 2003
Hi Petra, I was thinking along the lines of a steam cleaner as I'm a fan of them in the right environment.

I use a Duplex Jet Vac Junior (vacuumated) which includes a floor tool that would be ideal for the grouting.

If you need to add chemical you'd need to go for one of their larger models as the Junior will use water only. Alternatively you could spray with a chemical first and then follow on with the steamer.

Musicman
Posted by petra (petra), 16 December 2003
cheer guys, it for a builder that I get alot of cleans from and I want to make sure he knows we are the best without a doubt...
Petra

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.