Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

£40-£50 an hour

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 1 February 2004
can i earn this much powerwashing driveways, patios etc?

I'm thinking of offering this service but i'd need to earn the same per hour as i do cleaning carpets or its not worth doing.

I'm already getting 4000 leaflets delivered a week so i could put an advert for powerwashing on the back.

Mike
Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 1 February 2004
Hi Mike,
What equipment will you be using?
Rgds
Tony
Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 1 February 2004
Mike we have a minimum callout cost of £90.00 per hour for steam cleaning/graffiti removal. This is for a fully kitted out transit van usually with driver operator but at this cost some times we send a two man team, with 3000 psi (200 bar ) steam cleaner, cleaning chemicals, 600 litre water storage tank, 12 volt pumping system to rinse off, and perhaps one of the most important items to speed up flat surface cleaning- a whirl away. The alternative is charging a metre sq rate of £2.50 up to £10.00 depending on the substrate.

If the job is going to take several days we charge out at £250.00 per day per man.
This is for commercial work ie: Banks,Local Authorities,Housing Associations.
Glyn
Omnipole (PH Cleaning services)

Tony i hav'nt bought any kit yet,  i'm just researching the possibility, but if i go into it i'm thinking of a petrol driven 3000psi with the whirlaway as suggested by Glyn

thanks Glyn for the information you've posted, it looks like there's money to be made in pressure washing Wink

Mike
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 1 February 2004
Mike,

Will you get your water from the custoemrs or bring it to the customer, if your getting while you're at the customers then you have to wait around and that's costing you money - If you take water with you be very careful when driving, can you van hold a big tank?

You need to think about the extra costs like sand, chemicals, petrol to run the machine.

Let me know if you need any info on this game as I've cleaned loads of drives.

Alex
Alex at the moment i carry a 100gl freshwater tank but i was thinking of connecting straight to the customers tap.

i was thinking of aiming at the domestic market so i can sell to my existing carpet cleaning customers, most of them have an outside tap.

how much would i be spending to get a quality 3000psi diesal/petrol pressure washer?

mike
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 1 February 2004
Mike,

When you say connect to the customers outside tap I’m guessing you know you need a tank to fill as the water pressure from a tap wouldn't be enough. I connect to customer’s water when I get there; however, if they have a problem with that I bring it with me. I've only had one guy complain about me using his water and I told him I would have charged more if I’d brought my own - I wouldn't I just didn't like his tone and I did a survey and he was happy at me using his.

Anyway, I think you should be looking around £3500 for a good setup. I would think you'd have a pressure washer (3600psi), hot box which transforms cold to hot (deal we any stain), a wet/dry vacuum, and 20metres of cable. You could maybe do it a lot cheaper, however, make sure you buy the right equipment to tackle any job because they do come up.

I’m not to sure where you based but if you’d like to come out with me one day feel free.

Alex

Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 2 February 2004
If you want to run the system independantly from the customer- this will be necesary a lot of occasions when cusomers want you to work when they are not around.  You will need a diesel powered steam cleaner/hot wash - A realistic budget for a fully independant system including baffled water tank, PPE fire extingushers, first aid kit, hazard warning signage etc is more like £11,000 new. The last system we built cost £15,000 + the cost of the vehicle - of course this covered every eventuality.
And it can be done a lot cheaper- I spent the money because I wanted very little down time. Steam cleaners are tempremental and the last thing you need is an unreliable one. Glyn -Omnipole (UK) Ltd

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.