Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Leadlights - what's the best way to do them?

Posted by Sunshine (Sunshine), 13 January 2004
Hi everyone, please can you help. I need to know the best way to clean leadlights.

Got a customer the weekend who has leadlights and I want to do a good job for her.

Any thoughtsHuh?

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 13 January 2004
Lead lights as in windows with lead on them  Huh Cool
Posted by fez (fez), 13 January 2004
I wipe over with a wrung out soapy/GG4 filled cloth and then finish with a dry scrim.

I've tried using applicator and squeegee and it's slower and the results are no better.
Posted by Sunshine (Sunshine), 13 January 2004
....sorry I should have been clearer...leadlights are the windows with the lead in cris-crosses in the glass.

Thanks
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 13 January 2004
Sunshine,
By far the easiest way of doing leaded glass to get a spray bottle that will spray to a fine mist
( any garden centre or DIY shed for about £1:50 ) then if you have any.. use your usuall mix of GG4 and water and just lightly mist spray each pane , use 1 cloth to clean the glass by wiping away the spray you have just applied, then buff with another dry scrim or Huck towel.
If you don't have GG4 then use water with a very small dash of your usual soap and add some household ammonia. Use in the same way as described above.
The results are great for very little extra work, charge a lot more though as you can bet the owner knows exactly
how difficult they are to clean... thats why you've got the job.
Hope this helps
Denzle
Posted by mogs (mogs), 15 January 2004
i find the best way is dip a cloth in the solution u r using ring it out, clean ur window & buff of using u micro fiber cloth. great results!!!
always wash new micro mibre cloths & tumble dry b4 use, this shud get rid of any loose fibres

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 15 January 2004
I clean quite a few properties with the old leaded glass and find that the best way is with a rat tail and a dry scrim afterwords to buff up. Make sure you charge accordingly though for the extra time involved Wink

Steve
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 15 January 2004
GG4 is excellent on leaded work. Particularly when they are very dirty. Like Denzle said use a spray bottle or your applicator sleeve (not too wet) with gg4 and water and then scrim dry.

Gerry.
Posted by smiffy (smiffy), 15 January 2004
Allways finish the glass by buffing up and down. NOT from side to side ( horizontal ) Wink
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 16 January 2004
on 01/15/04 at 22:46:53, smiffy wrote:
Allways finish the glass by buffing up and down. NOT from side to side ( horizontal ) Wink

Hi Smiffy

I'm a bit curious about that - what difference does it make?

Regards

Mike
Posted by mark_binnie (windowman), 21 February 2004
If the windows are cleaned regular you can use a quick and easy method of using a clean damp chammie (only time to use one scrims are best) wipe over windows and buff with clean soft scrim.
Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 21 February 2004
on 01/15/04 at 22:46:53, smiffy wrote:

Mike, I think he means that if you go from side-to-side, you tend to catch the edges of the lead work with the scrim, which then peels a little bit.  

Most "criss-cross" lead is not at 45 degrees to the horizontal, but 60 degrees (making a diamond pattern, rather than squares) meaning that you hit the edges more squarely if you go from side to side.

At least I think that's what he means!

Philip
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 22 February 2004
Whadoyomean whadoes he mean I think he means that if you go vertically optically the customers eye will not notice slight streaks but if you go horiz. he will
I use a Wfp on leaded. Otherwise I finish off with a microfibre "polish". Have seen some w/c using a car polishing mitt with a scrim over it- kinder on the hands ?
Posted by Reuben_Reynolds (Reuben_Reynolds), 28 February 2004
Pure water is good when you have flushed and removed the lint, will take about 3 cleans, you only have to clean them once there after.  
Be careful of of old leaded type windows that they do not leak, dont apply much pressure use a residential waterfed pole.

Regards

Reuben    
Posted by geoffreyspecht (geoffreyspecht), 29 February 2004
use a slightly damp scrim or a dry scim depending how dirty they are
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 1 March 2004
An old trick - breathe on the panes as if you're a heavy breather on a phone call - just  say "Haaah" on each pane, but real close up, and then scrim or microfibre the glass.

End of story - wonderful job - head for the front door and get the money.

Works in the summer as well as winter.

Tell 'em your Uncle Davie told you

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.