Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Running cost of Pole System

Posted by Brian_Hayward (Brian_Hayward), 20 March 2004
I have been doing some studies regarding the running cost and profitability of the pole system. With this in mind, I would be very interested in hearing from anyone regarding your views?
A:      What system do you use?

B:      How long can you work throughout the day?

C:      Can you work constantly throughout the day   with the pole system provided that you have a water supply, which I was told was the case!

D:      How long does it take to file the tank?

E:      In filling the tank in winter is this a problem?

I look forward to reading your comments !!

Good cleaning Roll Eyes
Brian

Posted by Neil (wylie), 20 March 2004
Good points Brian,
I would be interested to know the cost of filling a tank for a days work as I am on a water meter, and do the water company notice an unusual increase in water consumption and increase the price to a comercial rate?

Posted by replacement (Justin R), 20 March 2004
I have answered the questions but please remeber i have just started as an wc and dont have hardly no days full with clients yet. I also use an Trolley system and i think your after answers on an Van system but i have answered anyway so you get some idea.

A: What system do you use?

I use an omiotrolley system with an 900 gpd RO Unit with an 1000 ltr Tank i have an 2ft pole and an 38ft pole

B: How long can you work throughout the day?

Not 100% sure as only just started as an wc. But i have done 8 Houses in one day my max atm due to not enough clients. Have been told 8hrs a day the battery will last.

C: Can you work constantly throughout the day   with the pole system provided that you have a water supply, which I was told was the case!

Same as above was told battery lasts 8hrs have not tested it fully yet. As for water i have had to come home once to refill the water barrels. I carry 6 in the car at once 150 litres

D: How long does it take to file the tank?

I have no transfer pump as of yet, i suck and use an hose pipe takes bloody ages like that really need to look at transfer pump (Tank - Water Barrels). I have water barrels with me 25 litre ones i take 6 at a time with me so thats 150 litres. It takes a few seconds filling the trolley up.

E: In filling the tank in winter is this a problem?

Dont no yet, but theres been some really cold snowing days and i have had no isssues what so every.

Not sure thats what your looking for but it might help. As for costs of running the system its the layout to start with then theres only looking after the RO unit. Membrane every 3-5 yrs ( membrane not sure on the £ ) and the carbon every 6 months ( £89 i think ), i dont have a cost on that but i dont think its expensive. As for the water i am not on an water metre so no cost there as such.

Posted by jonesy5 (jonesy5), 20 March 2004
Some time ago i bought a 1000l commercial system from ionic.
i started by using it 1 day a fortnight now its a three times a week.
two of us work of the same tank of water and i have already done a 9 hour day, and believe me the machine must have been constantly pumping out water for 8 hours, it lasted well but if need be i can fill up whilst using it if i have spare hose to reach an outdoor tap.
The biggest and best advantage is energy levels, it is far easier than lugging ladders about.
im glad i bought a more expensive version, after 3 months ive had no problems and my water is still 0, yep im definatly very happy (same old story in life you get what you pay for!!!!)
Posted by riz (riz), 20 March 2004
good to hear ive just placed order with ionic!!!

Paul
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 21 March 2004
IA: What system do you use?

Tucker dual 700ltr up to 80feet

B: How long can you work throughout the day?
we go 10 hours in summer 8 in winterC:

Can you work constantly throughout the day   with
the pole system provided that you have a water supply, which I was told was the case!

700 ltr will last 8hours constantly depeniding on the size of building,dirt and the flow rate.

D: How long does it take to file the tank?

it takes 40 mins from empty to fill but can take 8mins if filling from  static water facility.

E: In filling the tank in winter is this a problem?
 no not a problem .
I look forward to reading your comments !!

Good cleaning  
Brian

Also the point of being on water meter.........
You may need to have seperate meter installed remembering taht the water is being soley used for you window cleaning and you can claim this back on your over heads and vat.
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 21 March 2004
Steve,
Quote:
You may need to have seperate meter installed remembering that the water is being soley used for you window cleaning

Is this something you have done?  If so how did the Water Board take it and do you pay any additional costs such as commercial rates or higher licence fee?
When i enquired all they do is send you  form to fill out then send an engineer around to fit meter on same houshold pipe then you just pay on what you use.But i dont think its that much more about 0.003p on a litre plus your normal standing charges and also you dont have the worry of hose pipe bans etc etc

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.