Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Tips for starting driveways / patio cleaning

Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 4 January 2004
Smileyhi
im just starting a driveways/patio cleaning comp has any one got any tips or usefull info
thanks john
Posted by recs (recs), 4 January 2004
Hi John
       I am just doing the same thing ready for springtime.
I have just purchased a Kranzle machine and I am impressed with its results.If you have not got your machine yet its worth having a look at their site www.kranzle.co.uk (sorry express). I have certainly found there is no need for hot water machines and chemicals forget it. As long as the machine is powerfull enough it will do the job.
I would be interested to know how you are going to price up i.e. per square meter or per hour,etc.
would be good to share our thoughts/potential prob's
Regards Russell
Grin
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 4 January 2004
hi russell
thanks for the info i think im getting a washer off e-bay
have you heard of soda crystals they are cheap and good for grease let me know if you want some info
john

Posted by recs (recs), 4 January 2004
yes please John send me any info you have and i will likewise. what machine are you going for??
have you considered using it for fascias and soffits ??
i get a lot of these in the spring but iam not sure wether it would make more work or not.
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 5 January 2004
hi russell
im just phoneing round for supplyers(what area are you)

fascies/soffits you could cause a lot of dammage with a pressure washer on wood
Posted by denzle (denzle), 5 January 2004
John,
In my humble oppinion you would be better off getting a petrol engined unit ( 11hp Honda or Briggs and Stratton ) with a power output of 200bar. This will clean anything and will last you forever. Treat yourself to a Turbo lance and there will definately be nothing that you won't be able to get clean.
If you want to ask any questions on how to do certain things / Tips etc let me know what you need and i'll do my best to answer them.
Hope this helps
Denzle
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 5 January 2004
hi denzle
thanks for the info
its good to know theres help out there i'll be in touch or let me know if you think of anythink Cheesy
thanks john
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 5 January 2004
Hi Recs

We'll let you off the Kranzle issue but I'm interested to know why you went for it rather than any other?
How are you going to deal with oil and grease patches if you dont have heat or chemicals?

I'd agree with the spec that Denzle gave and although we supply Karcher machines we supply quite a few Deltas for this type of work. If you're interested in more info click here: http://www.express-cleaning-supplies.co.uk/shopbask/it120014.htm

Regards

Mike

From experience, oil and grease are very difficult stains to remove and its a brave man that claim's he can remove it completely.
For block paving i would say that the best approach is to remove the affected area and replace with new or reclaimed blocks, the same goes for slabbs.
And don't even think about cleaning tarmac drives as you'll rip big chunks out of it. I have tried numerous chemicals which will often lessen the stain but i have never completely removed it.
Maybe a hot water machine might but the price of those is prohibitive.
Denzle
Just had a look at the spec of mikes machine, that is exactly the sort of thing to buy !!
It'll last you forever and will clean anything. just one tip though... get a turbo lance as well, that will set you back about £80 and is worth every penny.
Denzle
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 5 January 2004
This seems  like a good add on business.

As a matter of interest how much say per sq/yd would you charge to clean drive ways and patios etc?

Many Thanks

Mark

Posted by denzle (denzle), 6 January 2004
Mark,
Have a look at my last post under Rotary Washers, that will give you an idea of pricing. Bear in mind that all areas of the country are different and what works for one may not work for another and of course the more affluent areas will pay more.
Denzle
Posted by recs (recs), 6 January 2004
Hi Mike
 sorry for delay answering- busy boy.
 the reasons i chose kranzle is locality (essex) where i am based plus excellent pricing. I got a great deal on a factory return machine 1 month old with a cracked casing(now has a new one).
Denzle
  I would only use machine on upvc fascias/soffits as you say it will cause damage to standard wood type.
I am using the machine as a bolt on to my windows hope to get a lot of work in the springtime .
Russell
Posted by denzle (denzle), 7 January 2004
Rus,
Don't know if your interested but you can get extention lances that will reach facias etc from the ground. I have one that goes to 21' high, it is a bit of a beast at that kind of hight but it is good.
Fom memory it cost about £100 and was made by Whirlaway.
Just a thought.
Denzle
Posted by Kevin_Whitlow (Pepe Le Pew), 7 January 2004
on 01/07/04 at 04:08:29, denzle wrote:
Rus,
Don't know if your interested but you can get extention lances that will reach facias etc from the ground. I have one that goes to 21' high, it is a bit of a beast at that kind of hight but it is good.
Fom memory it cost about £100 and was made by Whirlaway.
Just a thought.
Denzle

Hi Denzle,
Is this extension wand you have made from fibre glass?
I used to have these (yellow in colour) when finances allowed I upgraded to aluminium,much better control and fewer accidents! Roll Eyes

Posted by Kevin_Whitlow (Pepe Le Pew), 7 January 2004
on 01/04/04 at 01:59:54, johnstanley wrote:
Smileyhi
im just starting a driveways/patio cleaning comp has any one got any tips or usefull info
thanks john

John, the best advice IMO would be don`t underestimate the work and time involved.If you have enough work pass on block paving restoration and concentrate on flags,concrete and PIC.Speed is the key to make money,and rotary cleaners is the way to go.
Be extra careful doing flagged areas as invariably the mortar jointing is much softer and liable to damage and blow-out.Your existing client base(if you have one) should provide you with enough to get started, but be choosy.
A 45 degree fan tip,and a pin jet will come in handy and if you can, go for flow rate not PSI to clean and try and hook up with a chemical supplier in your area,chemicals do have there uses for certain jobs.
I move around quite a bit in the restoration of PIC, resealing and restoring colouring,as increasingly companies seem to apply nothing better than varnishes instead of a quality sealant.If you have any questions feel free to ask away,hope this helps!Good luck

Posted by denzle (denzle), 7 January 2004
Yes Pepe it is a yellow fibreglass extion wand and at full reach it is a beast to control. However i seldom need the full lenght so the end section gets left in to give me a bit more rigidity. Don't often use it but it's there for when the need arises.
Denzle
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 8 January 2004
hi pepe
thanks for the info do you use a hot or cold washer
do you think hot washers are any use for cleaning driveways
rotary washers are costley do you know a supplier?
thanks for your help
                                john  
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 8 January 2004
I have been looking at this as an add on and have found a supplier in Doncaster if this helps.

http://tech-clean.co.uk/
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 8 January 2004
thank rob
iv been after that address for ages
thanks john
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 9 January 2004
Hi John / Rob

We've got details and prices of all this equipment (including the pressure washers, Whirlaway, extension lances, belt kits, etc) in our catalogue if you'd like a copy Smiley

Regards

Mike
Posted by wreelyclean_servic (Wreelyclean Services), 9 January 2004
Grin..What a great subject......What a load of replies.....

The one about no hot water or chemicals is a cracker.....

Get the biggest most powerful machine you can and blast it all to kingdom come....Brilliant....

What about the damage thenHuh

Hot water and chemicals clean better and quicker....Simple as that really.....

Work smart not hard....
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 9 January 2004
Wreelyclean,
Does your hotwater machine and chemicals remove oil stains completly, I don't mean just a bit of surface oil or BBQ fat, i mean the car that has been leaking oil for the past couple of years all over a block paved drive and has been absorbed to about 1/2" to 1" into the pavers themselves.
Denzle
Oooops that should have read Hotwater Machine,
Half a bottle of red and the spelling does to rachet.
Denzle
Why wont this forum accept the word Hot Water joined together ? It wasn't me spelling my worms wrong after all  Grin
Posted by wreelyclean_servic (Wreelyclean Services), 11 January 2004
Shocked Shocked..No my machine and chemicals will never completely remove all oils..especially the soaked in for ages type......anyone who says that it will has a magic formula as far as I`m concerned.....I tell them straight if it looks a bit iffy.....it may be better to replace the few badly stained blocks....and here`s the number of my mate who is a mechanic to fix your car....don`t forget the finders fee from your mate though Grin Grin
Posted by KG_JETWASHING (BLADE), 15 January 2004
hi john,

wow

what a response !!!!

i myself am just starting up a pressure washing buisness
i have a karcher machine hot/cold and found that i shouldnt need to use chemical as it has enough power to move most things!!

i've just put my ad in the local paper and i HOPE i get some response from it,im really want big contracts like mcdonalds and car forcourts and with any luck i might just land one!!

i've been told that roofs are a good earner as well,any tips yourself or others have i'd be most interested!!

thanks
    blade
Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 16 January 2004
hi blade
you dont need chemicals but for what thay cost it makes it a lot easyer and faster Wink
which karcher is it ? and how do you find it
Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 17 January 2004
Denzle....hoT WATer....d'ya see   Grin
Posted by KG_JETWASHING (BLADE), 19 January 2004
hi
 john,

the karcher im using is a hds 745 model!!

i find it very easy to use and very powerful as well
the water heats up pretty quickly to!!

so far ive only used it on my mates drives and patio's,just for practice really not had any paying jobs yet Cry
out of interest how do you price your jobs up,ie per sq metre or just by the how the job looks and how much time it would take youHuh
Posted by johnstanley (johnstanley), 19 January 2004
hi blade
i price per sqr m with a starting price so if you go to a small job your not doing it for nothing
have you had anything to do with rotary washers yet?
where abouts are you based?
have you used any chemicals yet?if so wot dose it price up at?
Posted by KG_JETWASHING (BLADE), 20 January 2004
hi john

i've sent you a pm!!

no i've not used one of the rotary washers yet but they look really good and seem to do a big area at once which will cut the time of a job in halve,i think there are about £500-600 each,so once i've got some money together i might invest in one of these!!!

cheers
 blade
Posted by Les (Les), 20 January 2004
Just a tip from my own experience.
When going to look at the job, check the water pressure from the tap you are going to use. Some are so weak you could pee faster,(if you were a horse) and it may affect the water pressure that your machine can produce... no water in..no water out  Smiley Wink

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.