Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Removing limescale from windows

Posted by elfords (elfords), 29 October 2003
Could anyone tell me the method you use for removing limescale from windows, I have been in this business for 10 years and have yet to come across anyone who knows the perfect solution, if of course there is one! Huh I have only just come across this site and must say it is great to speak and share things with like minded people. Here`s to the next few miserable wet & cold months, roll on the spring!! Thanks Gary
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 29 October 2003
Dont know if this helps.
http://www.wintecs.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=27&products_id=129
Cheers Alan
Posted by elfords (elfords), 29 October 2003
Thanks Alan will have a look, have you tried this yourself or has anyone else out there tries it and does it work. The main problem I have always found is the speed and effectiveness of any chemical, as I am sure you will all appreciate it needs to work rapidly as you cannot afford to be waiting around all day for the chemicals to do there thing, unless of course the customer will accept paying over £100 for removing the limescale from one window, I doubt it!
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 29 October 2003
I think Unger do something called rub out but i dont know how good it is.

Steve
Posted by jake (jake), 29 October 2003
gary

I have used brick acid in the past and have used bathroom cleaner liquids that contain limescale remover

jake
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 30 October 2003
Hi I use a limescale remover from Kleeneze (i'm a distributor)

It is great stuff and i use it on windows, baths, sinks and taps. On large build-up (sinks etc) the limescale foams and is gone instantly!

Either contact a local distributor or please feel free to give me a shout

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 30 October 2003
I was talking to another window cleaner today and he says that he uses lime lite with a cloth  and then just rinses it off afterwards Huh

Steve
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 30 October 2003
Have any company brought out a product with citric liquid in it yet to remove lime scale as there seems to be this ingredient in everything else meant to be good to isnt it?
Cheers
Alan
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 31 October 2003
Gary,

It depends what's in the stain, some chemicals work better than others on different stains, it's good to carry a selection.  Toilet cleaner often works, other times you may need a powder or paste and a mild abrasive.  Hydroflouric acid is very dangerous and should only be used as a last resort with the proper precautions.
Posted by jake (jake), 31 October 2003
just to clear up a point fed man. If I remember rightly hydroflouric acid is nasty stuff if used wrongly as you state, but you may be confusing it with hydrocloric acid, the main ingredient of brick cleaner. Now while brick acid can be unpleasant (especially if used neat) I wouldn't call it dangerous( unless drunk!)   Lips Sealed

(prof') Jake

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.