Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Alltec or Ashby's?

Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 11 December 2003
Who's got the best machine out of these two companies? Ashby's or Alltec

I use an ashby's Ninja and I'm really happy with the results, granted, I do use the V2 stream mate on nearly all jobs.  The thing that I get a bit pissed at is setting up and packing away as I need to make about 3 visits to my van for the machine, cables, blower, wand and cleaning solutions.

What's the feedback on Alltec if I was to buy a second unit and what kind of results would I get?
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 11 December 2003
I think Alex meant to say 'cheesed off' !!!!

I'm surprised you aren't considering Prochem by the way?
cheesed off would have been a better way of putting it Mike. Never really looked at the prochem stuff as I was told is a hard sell if you go on the training course.

Ok, Alltec, Ashbys or Prochem.  No more!
Posted by catrodney (catrodney), 11 December 2003
Alex,

suprised your not considering a Woodbridge machine ??
Thats what competitors like to say to put people off doing the Prochem courses but there really isn't a hard sell.
Although they all cover similar topics you can get the Prochem course free if you decide to buy one of their machines. If I were starting out I'd go with the Steampro Powermax. Why would you be looking at a second machine? Is it for a second user or as a standby machine?
Right everyone is going to do this so I'm changing the post to......What's the best machine out there and your reasons for that product.

Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Not sure there is a single machine as there are so many factors to consider. Woodbridge machines are cheap but Prochem machines are better built. It depends whats more important - initial cost or ongoing reliability.
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 11 December 2003
MY 2 PENNIES WORTH.........my Prochem Steemeasy 400 is nearly 14 years old and still going strong (as back up)
but my Diamondback(less than 3 years old) has had both vacs replaced twice and a new spray pump. It does a great job but not if it is off the road. Even Carpetmate @ Prochem will not repair these machines any more. I was Martin's best mate whilst choosing a new machine but once the deal was done............... Lips Sealed
I rang Ashbys for advice on faults with my Diamondback and my Spotmate and was told " not sure what the problem is as we only sell them". SO BUY DIRECT FROM MANUFACTURER not from outlet.   Grinend of sermon Grin
Posted by allencarpetclean (allencarpetclean), 11 December 2003
I have a Cleanrite Edge by Cleancare International
(hydromaster do the same version called a Raptor)
0-300 psi, 2 x 1000 inline heaters, pre-heat facility 2 x 3 stage vacs, fantastic machine  wouldnt use it as a backup too god for that.
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 11 December 2003
Altec talk a good machine the guy who did the talk on the ncca course guaranteed that the Altec Advantage was the best portable around but surely the machine is only as good as the operator Huh
Posted by RAINBOW69 (CATMAN), 11 December 2003
The Ninja is a tough machine, so tough it breaks your back going up and down stairs. The electric cables are in the wrong place as when you work out of a room they end up trapped under the wheels. Ball ache  
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 11 December 2003
In my opinion, Ninja's are good good machines but in my experiance, I find the staff and the company at Alltec much better to deal with, enough said Roll Eyes
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 11 December 2003
I am a bit confused, I thought Ashbys made the Dimond Back, although I realise there is a Ninja and a Dimond Back for sale in states.

I find the Dimond Back heavey but I dont think they are available anymore.

If I bought another machine I would buy from the company that could service the machine on my premises at reasonable cost, or was within two hours of me and would repair while I waited.

Plus the machine with the best specs for my budget
Ian
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 12 December 2003
Yes Ninjas are good machines but lets weigh up the pros and cons.

The solution tank capacity on the ninja is smaller than the advantage.

Accessing the motors on the ninja is simple , the machine just splits in half and you expose the motors  ..  BUT  the solution tank has to be empty, with the Advantage the motors and pump can be removed in minutes WITH the solution tank still full.

The Ninja is heavy to drag up stairs.   The Advantage,s motors and pump can be removed in minutes reducing its weight to take upstairs.

And

the people at Alltec dont give u the hard sell !!!!!!

I originally enquired about the Advantage months back at the Extravaganza. They didnt hassle me about it and it was my choice when i finally decided to buy.

I called (the other company) just enquiring about a heat exchanger for my exel and was instantly given the hard sell to buy a complete ninja package. So much that i recieved 4 brochures and a phone call from their finance company !!!!!!  

Why didnt i buy the Ninja ?

Well the main reason was because of the constant pestering and hard sell apart from the reasons above.   Grin Grin

Now what machine would u prefer to buy?

Cheers

Mark

Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 12 December 2003
Mark, I can't believe that you would remove the motors to take a machine upstairs! I accept that one of the factors you should take into account is how easy the machine is to work on but I'm amazed at how many pumps and motors you guys seem to change.
I'd also argue that you get better service from a distributor than you would from a manufacturer.  Distributors have more incentive to keep you happy because they want the ongoing consumable business AND they are less biased when offering advice.
Ian hit the nail on the head when he said about the servicing. No machine is perfect (yes, even the odd Prochem machine has it's problems occassionally!!) and you have to consider what would happen if it does go wrong. We lost a sale this week on a SteemPro because we were £50 more expensive than a new 'online' dealer. However, we've just discovered that thier policy is a 'return to base' one where the customer is expected to send the machine back (in this case some 200 miles away) and they promise to return it within 10 days. For the sake of £50, personally, I'd rather buy from someone who could repair it on site within 48 hours!
People do need to take more notice of the small print when buying purely on price from an 'internet' dealer!
Regards
Mike
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 12 December 2003
I was 'brought up' on Prochem machines and chemicals. I bought from Ashbys because they were nearest supplier of Prochem chemicals and over a period of time I was talked into Diamondback. Subsequently, Ashbys have closed the SW London branch so all repairs are done in Kent (nr Dartford Tunnel Undecided need i say more).
My next machine will be Prochem and the best dealer I could recommend to anyone is Barton Electrical at West Molesley (Prochem distributer of the year forever.....). They know the meaning of CUSTOMER SERVICE and will try and fit your repair into a busy list to help you out at short notice. They do NOT shrug their shoulders like a place I USED to go to.................. Lips Sealed
ps. on the subject of Ashbys, our hamsters have never been so comfy......what with all the brochures i keep getting and converting into rodent bedding Roll Eyes
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 12 December 2003
Hi Chris
Perhaps you will at least consider ourselves when you look to get one?
Regards
Mike
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 12 December 2003
Just got your literature through the post today.................very impressed Cool   Not renewing till April but will start enquiries prior to that for delivery dates etc. Be in touch.
Chris
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 13 December 2003
Hi

Mike is perfectly correct.... 'if' you have a good dealer in your particular neck of the woods then that's a real bonus.

Would you believe that in Leicester we have two, what I would call 'reasonable sized dealers' . One doesn't deal in machines only chemicals (very good and helpful) ..they will order machines but have no facilities to repair, stock parts etc.
The other tends to stock cheaper branded products alongside the better quality ones and doesn't really promote the quality products. Parking nearby this one is almost impossible and I now refuse to go there having received two parking tickets from the local 'Gestapo' whilst loading up.

If I want to buy a machine I have to go a fair distance and like most cleaning operators do pump and vacuum changes myself.

A & M in Watford open their doors at 7.30am every day for their customers and there are usually people waiting for the doors to open. Service like that is almost a thing of the past these days. The shop, a veritable 'Aladdin's Cave' of goodies reminds me very much of Arkwight's shop in the TV series 'Open all hours'... their till doesn't attack you though Grin.

Want to open a branch in Leicester Mike?

Regards
Derek
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 13 December 2003
Mike

removing the vac and motors from the allted is a walk in the park.

It reduces the weight of the machine by 13 kg.

It is just a matter of undoing 2 knobs and the removing 2 vac tubes and a plug and voila!!!  the whoile lot comes out as one unit.

I sure wouldnt remove the vacs and pump from any other machine as this obne is the only machine its possible on.

If for example i have a job in a block of flats with no lift its definetly worth the extra 5 MINUTES  removing the vacs instead of struggling up the stairs with the machine and risking my back and also risking dropping the machine down the stairs.

With reference to the amount of vacs and pumps us operators get through well thats down to the fact that the machines work very hard and need changing and servicing frequently.

It would be false economy to return the machine to a dealer/supplier every time new brushes were due to be fitted or new pump or motors.

If u have a chance have  alook at the new Alltec machine and you will see what i mean.

Ta

Mark

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.