Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Lead Lights- best way to clean

Posted by recs (recs), 23 August 2003
As a newcomer can anyone assist with advice on the best way to clean lead light windows ?
thanks
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 23 August 2003
as a window cleaner and a qualified stained glass tutor. the answer is they are hard to clean. the best way is use a good quality spray and polish in all directions using lint free cloth. micro fibre cloths are good as well. dont forget to quote extra for lead lights for the time it takes.
oh if its stick on lead carful of the points ao the lead they peel off very easily
Posted by sham33 (sham33), 23 August 2003
Hi, I've found by far the best way to clean leaded lights quickly and to a decent standard is to apply a thin strip of soapy water down the middle of the window then using scrim quickly spread the soapy strip all over the window. Then quickly go over the window again with scrim. With a bit of pratice leads take no longer to clean then normal windows. Also i've found that Micro Fibre Cloths are awsome for leaded lights.  Smiley
Posted by DR_WYNDAZ (DR_WYNDAZ), 18 October 2003
I've just cleaned a 3 bed semi with leads today that hasn't been cleaned in 2 years, and he wanted his frames wiping. took over an hour. I found the best way was to stuff it and go home.

ps   I did finish it. a whole 5 quid for me.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 18 October 2003
Hi recs,
If it is diy stick on lead give it a miss, as it wont be long before the lead starts to peel off and then you start having hassel with the customer.I have found that if you apply water with your applicator ,squeegee it off ,  use scrim to get the remaining water off, then  finish with a huck towel, but dont forget to add more to your price for this as it will take a little longer to clean Cool
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 19 October 2003
I Hate them and wont do them if I can help it. They used to be associated with older window but loads of the replacement windows now have stick on lead.

The problem is a bit more complicated for me becaose round my area lots of people are out during the day.
Leaded windows is a sign of older couple living in the house or bungalow and they are more likely to be in during the day. So I end up doing more than my fair share.

They tak three times as long to do.
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 19 October 2003
leaded windows should be banned i know this is not very helpful but theres no easy answer.scrim and elbow grease is the best i know of. i usually charge a bit more but it doesnt compensate for the extra time i spend on them.    gerry.
Posted by Rick (Rick), 19 October 2003
best way to clean leaded window is with a proper chamios leather.

i don't like leather so i just applicate, squeegee, mop (lancashire sock latex) with right hand and and scrim with left hand both at the same time, one behind the other. that way the thin layer of water doesn't have time to just dry up and leave the watermark behind
Posted by andy (andy), 19 October 2003
I use the same method as normal and i dont like doing it. then i polish them with glass polisher but being very careful with them through out.

I do that for the first clean and the i give the customer to my son!

I give all my bad work i dont like doing to my son. i teach him how to do it and introduce him to the clients.

It takes some time cleaning for him but he gets good money for his age and also pays for his clothes,collage and stuff.

ANDY!

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.