Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

prochem fabric restorer

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 30 November 2003
Hi

After reading some posts on another forum Iam considering purchasing FABRIC RESTORER for upholstery.

Do you chaps agree and how would you use it.

Cheers

Alex
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 30 November 2003
Alex,

Excellent pre-spray (subject to pre-test) - especially good for body contact soiling.

Lightly pre-spray (hot) & agitate with tampico brush, then extract.

Alternatively may be removed by terry toweling. I have used this method on antique tapestry which was too frail to survive extraction cleaning even through muslin. this was followed by a spray on B109 Fibre & Fabric Rinse + more towel blotting. Results were most impressive  on one particular piece - a hand embroydered settle completed in 1560 and as far as can be determined, not previously cleaned.

Definately a must-have!

John.

PS. That spotting kit was not exactly the bargain of the century  Sad
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 30 November 2003
Sad Great chem but stopped using it because of the smell,
customers did not like the smell, you need too well vent area
mick
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 30 November 2003
Hi

spotting kit nah not a bargain at all. Embarassed

saved a tenner i think as i have to pay vat. Grin

oh well a tenners better than nothing i suppose.

Thanks for the advice on the fabric restorer interesting about the smell , any other comments gentleman.

Just been down homebase to buy a bucket 10% off till xmas, looked at the rugdoctors diddly littke things aren't they.

All the best

Alex

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 30 November 2003
Excellent product, but has been known to damage solvent sensitive fabrics such as flocked nylon. Logic says it may also remove protectors, but I can't be sure.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 30 November 2003
Hi Kenneth

Any chemical with a pH over 10 will affect protection performances, plus residues left in carpets and fabrics can 'mask' protectors  thereby reducing performance

Regards

Derek
Hi Derek

I was thinking more of the solvent content of Fabric Restorer. I don't know what's in it without going to my SDS, but would it be correct to presume that the solvent would be detrimental to the protector? From memory, Fab Rest has a Ph value of about 9.

Ken

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 30 November 2003
Hi there young man (That's you Kenneth)

We were always led to believe that solvents didn't affect protection levels just high pH.

I think that chemicals with solvents within their blends, it is always going to be the rest of the blend that will cause  problems. i.e. high pH and not rinsing.

Keep below a pH of 10 and always rinse, protection levels should be fine.

Derek  
Thanks Derek

Ken

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 30 November 2003
Micheal,

When did you last use B109 ? It was reformulated about 2 years ago and now has a diferent smell (mildly amoniac).

John.

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 1 December 2003
John

B109....isn't that Fabric and Fibre rinse (the acidic rinse agent)?

Derek
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 December 2003
Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed oops

Quite right Derek .... I ment B108 !

John.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 1 December 2003
John

Thank heavens for that....I thought I had got my numbers all mixed up... maybe I was having one of my senior moments Wink

Derek
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 2 December 2003
Love the stuff......great on marks left by hands and necks (sweaty greasy stained patches). You always rinse /neutralise pre treatment so smell not too much of a problem.
1st post so HELLO everyone Roll Eyes
Chris

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.