Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Mould on suite

Posted by adl (dave555), 31 March 2004
i have a suite that a customer has put in storage for the last 6 months in a garage. Unfortunatley it is now mouldy, black and stained i cannot get it out anybody got any ideas ( i expect it is probebly beyond repair but i do like to help my customers if i can
Thanks Dave
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 31 March 2004
Dave

I would tread on the side of caution with this one, if it’s as bad as you say you may have mould within the carcase framework walk away.

Len

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 31 March 2004
Hi Dave

As Len says, but I put it this way, the problem is the customers DO Not let it become yours, walk away.
Posted by adl (dave555), 1 April 2004
luckily (for the customer that is) its only on the cushions she has been told that there is nothing i can do, but i just thought id ask, see if any of the ol-timers Grin Grin had any old witches spells and secrets Grin Grin Grin thanks anyway for your help
Dave
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 April 2004
Dave,

The problem with black mould is that it grows within the fabric - with natural fibres, within the fibre strands themselves.

The most effective treatment I have found is Ultrapac Renovate BUT results are most often dissapointing.

I have also had some sucess with peroxide bleaching boosted with ammonia as a final treatment but this is likely to cause undesired colour loss and posible fibre weakening.

Best left alone.

John.
Posted by adl (dave555), 1 April 2004
Yeah i did my best for her (as shes only 22) i took her for a drink instead as she looked unhappy!
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 1 April 2004
                   Grin  You're a saint, Dave  Wink Wink

John.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.