Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

The Big Freeze

Posted by woodman (woodman), 26 January 2004
Hi Guys

I hope you are all taking precautions to protect your equipment over the coming week as the big freeze takes a hold.

Remove vital equipment from vans left out, such as your machine,hoses,wands,spayers and solutions.

(The missus won't mind if you bring it in for the night Grin)

Nothing worse than getting on site only to find everything's frozen,it thaws and then find your pump is split or your connectors have cracked etc.

Good Luck Smiley

Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 26 January 2004
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/

Its getting colder, you can pick your areas from the pulldowns.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 26 January 2004
Hi Woody

Do I detect a bit of personal experience in your frost warning? Grin

Seriously.. I think we have all been there ...just the once

Regards
Derek
Posted by woodman (woodman), 26 January 2004
Ok, Ok, Derek

was it that obvious Grin

Sad I know but I've caught out more than once Roll Eyes and on a brand new bit of kit last time.

Let hope others learn from my mistakes Wink

Posted by Alan_Kennedy (Alan_Kennedy), 26 January 2004
As usual, good advice from Woody.  Did a pub job this morning, lumps of ice in the One Step container, so was very concerned that the pump and hoses in my CFR were frozen up. Thankfully not, so I was lucky this time. Machine and hoses are now in the house. Its a bind loading and unloading, but its worth the effort to save both machine and job.  Also, thanks for the advice on the carpet tiles Woody, they came up a treat with bonnet buffing.

Regards Alan

Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 26 January 2004

Oil radiator is in the van.
It dosent take much to freeze everything up, anything below about -1 and its gonna turn to ice.

Phil
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 26 January 2004
I have been caught twice with my Blazer plus with frost as I live on the edge of Dartmoor and the temp can change very quickly,fortunately the only damage on both occasions was the thermostat sensor,the 1st time it cost me £40 from prochem the second time (in the same year ) it cost me £65 for the same part from Prochem.which the guy on the phone said was a case of Prochem trying to benefit from our misery.
Has anyone else experienced this with Prochem,their spare parts are very expensive and seem to be getting more expensive everytime I speak to them.
Posted by Les (Les), 26 January 2004
I would agree about the pricing of Prochen parts.
The company who have repaired my machine try to obtain parts elsewhere to save me some money. Cry
Perhaps Prochem have become a bit greedy as of late.
Even their carpet wands are expensive although I believe Express Cleaning can arrange a mortgage Cheesy
Posted by Glynn (Glynn), 26 January 2004
I thought about taking all the hoses in't house but I think Erindoors wouldn't like 1000 ft of pipes all her immactually clean carpets!, so I bought an Eberspacher night heater for the van
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 26 January 2004
I got an esparcher for mine too, only problem I've found is that the thermostat minimum is 10 C. I would have prefered a 5 C min. Because of this the heater comes on when it is well above frost conditions. I switched it on when I got it in Nov, and will leave it on until prob April, better safe than sorry. It's is a little bit noisey, but neighbours have now stopped knocking on my door to tell me my vans making a funny noise. Oh, it also keeps the windows defrosted and the cab nice and warm.
Posted by Ray (Ray), 27 January 2004
If you do put a electric heater in the van. Just remember to unplug it in the morning before you drive away. Forgot last year it was the 50 feet of cable running behind the van that reminded me. Made a mess of the socket in the shed and the shed door Grin Grin Grin

Ray
Posted by woodman (woodman), 27 January 2004
Grin Grin Grin

Superb,

I have this mental picture now of shed being dragged down the road attached to your van.
Posted by gwrightson (gwrightson), 27 January 2004
hehehhehe  dragging the elec cable behind, how funny
Cheesy reminds me of a very similar thing, oh maybe 25 yrs ago working on an ice cream van , used to plug freezers in to kitchen socket through the window
lo and behold  the day came crashing down , along with
half the plastered wall  smashed glass and half a window frame  can laugh now
but not very ammusing at the time
all i can say is easily done
never again   youve been warned Grin Grin Grin
geoff
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 27 January 2004
You had the fat lad from Cumbria down cleaning your carpets, Glynn ??
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 28 January 2004
I thought all this hype about the snow coming was just TV scaremongering, until i got up this morning.

no work for me today i'm rebooking all of todays jobs, I'm not pulling my hoses through the snow.

mike
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 28 January 2004
Very little snow up here in Sunny South Shields just a light covering Grin
Posted by mark_roberts (mark_roberts), 28 January 2004
No snow in sunny Belfast.  It could be worse we could be in North America with 2 foot of snow and -20!

Where do you get oil and eberspacher heaters from and how much?  I use an electric heater but am paranoid about it going on fire and burning my van.

thanks
Mark
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 28 January 2004
Nowt in Yorkshire (West), a nice sunny frosty morning.
Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 28 January 2004
Its on its way south lads Undecided
We have had loads of the white stuff today just from 8am. It was nice blue skys at 7am Undecided Undecided
Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 28 January 2004
Whoops spoke to soon cannot see more than 100 yards in front of you still a bit snow won't stop me rang all my customers and they still want their carpets cleaned Cheesy
told you steve Cheesy
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 28 January 2004
Grin
Yes you are right we got it about 6 tonight (Kent)

Never had a problem of van/equipment freezing wife goes on the drive van goes to bed with me; van makes money, this wife costs, she’s used to it but driving init can be scary at times

Len
The temp outside my house is -2 at 20.27 wed 28th jan Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 28 January 2004

Only -2

I used to live in a place called Milnrow bottom of the Pennines near Rochdale, -2 was considered T shirt weather.

People there would buy each other Snow Chains for Xmas presents. Cheesy

Inch of snow these days down here in the south and the country comes to a stop!  Huh

Phil

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 28 January 2004
The best thing to come out of Milnrow is the M62, brings me back home to Yorkshire Cool Cool Cool
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 28 January 2004
Mark esparcher web site www.esparcher.com think you can find a distributer there. if not let me know where you are and I will let you know nearest dealer. By the way they run from your existing diesel or petrol tank.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.