Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

What hours do you work?

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 20 September 2003
Out of interest what hours do you guys work? (Window Cleaning)We have found over the years that we were only really productive for about 6 hours a day so we do 8am till 2pm straight through. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 20 September 2003
Usually I work 9-1 and then 3-7. It all depends if I have an awning cleaning to do, which is a bigger earner. Then I will be up about 6, will take me 2 hours(before the shop opens). And will have to go back later and seal it. I try and get Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays off.
Karl,
     Do you get sunshine all year round  Huh

Steve Lowe
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 20 September 2003
No, we have our rainy periods. We've just been through a tornado! We lost part of our roof! Usually 2 months of rainfall, on and off, it snowed in the higher regions last year. Clients are afraid of using a window cleaner if its likely to rain within the month!
So you get your fair share of the bad weather Cry

Steve Lowe
Posted by luap (luap), 21 September 2003
steve...if he could upload pictures on here you would all be having a whip round for him......hi karl..reboot will ya and get messenger back on Smiley

paul.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 21 September 2003
 Grin

Steve Lowe
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 21 September 2003
Hi Paul, thought that was you!!
I'll be online most nights Sun/Mon from 10-11 your time.
Did you see the power washing systems advertised in this forum? What do you think?

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 21 September 2003

For me every day is different, most days its 8am-2.30pm
I have a couple of jobs that take longer
a school 8 am- 5-pm 2 days very good earner Grin
communal cleaning 22 blocks of flats 8.am 5.30pm 2 days  lots of drug users  hanging about  Undecided Shocked
2 blocks of flats (2Cool 8am - 12 mid day
but once it gets past 12 I am lookingh at the clock .
Usually 5 days mon -fri but this week poured down friday non stop untill sunday Cool

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 20 January 2004
What time do you guys start domestics Huh I used to start them at 8am but just lately its a job to start domestics at 9 Roll Eyes

Steve
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 20 January 2004
This week when it stops raining Grin
Posted by simonb (simonb), 20 January 2004
7.30 - 3.30 commercial
9-4  domestic
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 20 January 2004
7:45 - 5pm, 4 days a week. Mainly residential.
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 20 January 2004
Hi Steve
           Do you find people are up at 7.45 Huh

Steve
Posted by matt (matt), 20 January 2004
mon, tue and wed

9 till 4ish all domestic

start 1 day at 8 and do 4 shops in town takes about 1 hour

Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 20 January 2004
A window cleaner near where we live starts at 7:30!  I would not be happy if it was my house.

We normally work 9:15-5pm or whenever it gets dark, with an hour for lunch at a convenient break point.

I dont know about you, but when the weather is dry I always feel like we should stay out as long as possible in case it rains later in the week and you end up stuck.

The traffic in Bristol is getting to be a nightmare lately though.  Sometimes we have to leave the house at 8am to get started for 9:15

Silly
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 20 January 2004
We aim to be on plot by 8:30, We finish when any of the following have been met.
1/ We've earned enough.
2/ Its raining and looks as if its going to continue.
3/ 4pm and i've had enough.

The weather has been very kind to us so far this week.
Denzle
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 21 January 2004
5.30 start Sad  marks&spencer i do 6 stores a day takes me to about 10/11 then i do other work & finish when job is done {commercial} normally 3/4 dont stop for rain
only high wind Shocked
Posted by ThirskMan (ThirskMan), 21 January 2004
Just started being a newish  window cleaner - nearly all homes rather than commercial, I'd never dream starting on houses b4 nine round here, although I am an early riser I can't start 'till then, which annoys me 2 no end!

Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 21 January 2004
Hi Steve

I find that most of my customers are already out by 7:45. They generally live in suburban areas and have to leave early to commute. (to make money to pay me  Grin) If curtains are shut, I don't ring for the money. Just leave an envelope and they send cheque. Have had a few surprises over the years though, as you can imagine  Wink

SteveK
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 21 January 2004
I am lucky if they dont moan if i go their at 9 oclock Roll Eyes I knocked on a customers door today at 10-15 and got her out of bed Roll Eyes

Steve
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 24 January 2004
Hi Steve
           I could do with a few more customers like that. I like an early start Wink

Steve
Posted by Spoonbill1970 (Spoonbill1970), 31 January 2004
Hi Y'all,

I get up 5:30 for 6 start and do a bit of commercial work early each morning. The advantage of this is that I can do the work and not get in anyone's way, but best thing is that it gets me up and takes away the temptation to lie in bed!

Usually go home for breakfast about 7 ish and then get out on the domestic work for 8:15.
Usually knackered about 4! getting old!

JSP
Posted by jontydog (jontydog), 6 February 2004
Usually 9-2 as it is only a small round on my local estate
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 8 February 2004
Because we are in the commuter belt and most people are out by 8am you can offer an early call as an extra service.
Not a lot of people take you up but if you handle it right you can make it a selling feature.

Some customers don't like the idea of you going to their house while they are out, others are control freaks and want to make sure you do what you are supposed to.

My flier says "Early morning and weekend visits by arrangement"
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 8 February 2004
Winkwe go out at 5am every day Shocked we only do commercial
contracts for the big companys,they sub us the work Wink
we never touch houses,we finish around 12, Cheesy very rare
we are still working past that time Cheesy

when I have time I go swimming 3 times a week,and swim28 t0 30 lengths,thats half a mile in our pool,

we also do carpet cleaning to of a weeken if need be Wink
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 8 February 2004
Hi Terry
          How long does it take you to get from Essex to London at that time of the morning because i go out at 6 o clock and the roads are already getting busy.

Steve
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 8 February 2004
WinkHi steve Wink

we leave at 5 every morning in town by 5 40 tops Wink
our work is around m25 west end hertfordshire slough
we travel a bit!
Posted by paul (paul), 8 February 2004
we do 7am to 4pm on mondays and 8 till 4pm the rest of the week.in the summer we do 8am to 5pm on the domestic and 7am to 6pm on the commercial to keep up with the work load Roll Eyes
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 15 February 2004
on 02/15/04 at 12:53:22, SteveTruman wrote:
I have just cleaned the carpets in a small restaurant and they have asked me if i could clean the awning. Its a canvas type thing covered in green mould. Any suggestions would be appreciated on how to clean it and costs involved

Regards

Steve

Canvas is typically harder to clean than vinyl. First of all - do you have a pole cleaning kit or a pressure washer? What cleaning chemicals do you have in your arsenal?
Do you intend to do more awning cleans in the future?
Posted by Duke (Duke), 21 March 2004
we work from 8.30/9 am to about 2 in the afternoon, sometimes a bit later, that's enough for me. I dont stop for a break, most of my customers are out at work (phone night before if access probs , like side gate locked) while I'm there. I leave them a stamped addressed envelope and an invoice...cheques come through the post daily...whizz them off to the bank after I've finished...and so it goes on....I used to go back for the money, but it was like going to work twice, and no guarantee they'd be in anyway.....this works better, just wait longer for the dosh, but once it's rolling, it's fine.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.