Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Advice required

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 24 October 2003
Got an unusual one coming up Monday. Gas service engineer working in airing cupboard. Opens door wide for access. Opened door pushes against lampshade. Lampshade rests against hot light bulb. Said lampshade melts. Molten plastic attached to carpet. Madam thinks carpet is wool. This is all the information I have at present. I've sharpened my stanley knife in anticipation. Got my iron and paper ready. Any other suggestions?
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 24 October 2003
Hi Kenneth

I don't think your brown paper and iron are going to be much good to you on this one...take a sharp stanley knife blade with you

Regards
Derek
Posted by woodman (woodman), 25 October 2003
Hi Ken

Do you have any knapping shears?

if so use these to snip off the plastic,a good trick to use if the carpet is tufted is to slightly pull the tufts proud of the remainder of the carpet and snip off the damaged area back level. Simple but it works.

Failing that depending on the amount of damage retuft using tufts taken from around the edge of the carpet.

Hope this helps
Posted by pre-vac_Nick (pre-vac_Nick), 25 October 2003
Wink i agree with woodman on this one,
i used to work for most of the insurance companies and this one cropped up a few times,
retufting depending on size is the best way to go.
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 28 October 2003
I went out to this job yesterday. According to madam the molten plastic was in a mound about 1.5cm above the carpet. She had cut it down to almost pile level. The melted plastic was that hard that my stanley nor craft knife were making much progress. So I covered with paper and applied a hot iron just for long enough to soften it a little. Then cut and shaved and teased with my knife. Took a good half hour but in the end the results were visually perfect and about 99% to the finger tip touch test. Madam was delighted, I was chuffed and no doubt the gas engineer will be too. Thanks everyone for your help and input. It's one of the benefits of a good forum like this.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.