Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

Accident Insurance

Posted by Slatercleaners (Slatercleaners), 7 February 2004
Would you recommend accident insurance? If so what is there available and how much does it cost.

I'm not planning on breaking windows or legs, but is it worth getting a policy?

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 7 February 2004
I looked into getting some but what you pay in and what you get out its not worth it , just put a few quid in a jar just in case
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 7 February 2004
were about do you live...i might be able to put you on to a company
its about 6.50 a month ...and its really only for magor stuff
but after 6 months you can claim for smaller stuff

Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 7 February 2004
I had a few quotes from various companies, the impression I got was that it's very expensive!

You can get it from The Fed, the premiums are:

Yearly Premium : 143.90
1st 6 months of disablement : 120 per week
next six months of disablement : 60 per week

This is the maximum amount of cover you can buy.  There is no excess.  As soon as you are unable to work you can claim.

Sickness cover is also available with a 10 day excess:
Yearly Premium : 68.28
Up to 6 months of disablement : 60 per week

This is a good accident policy, however 120 per week is not enough.  In my opinion at least 400 per week is needed.  But it is better than nothing.

Posted by Slatercleaners (Slatercleaners), 8 February 2004
Do you have to have membership of FED to qualify? (Who are FED?)

I think the ideal situation would be to have 2 months worth of survival money in a bank account, as you wouldn't be simply paying for something you might never use.

Setting up in business and having cash reserve don't really go hand in hand.

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 8 February 2004
on 02/08/04 at 09:23:11, Slatercleaners wrote:
Do you have to have membership of FED to qualify? (Who are FED?)

Hi Slatercleaners
                         Here is the fed website to see who they are


Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 19 February 2004
i get myn from combined insurence of america
here is the number
thats the rep in the south number she myte be able to put you on the somone in your area

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 19 February 2004
i get myn from combined insurence of america

Hi VGC, is that the company with an eagle with VERY large wings on their heading?

One of their guys got me signed up years ago after stopping his car and waiting at the foot of my ladder, and telling me horror stories about claims they'd had.

Once I'd sat down and REALLY read through the policy, I wasn't impressed. It might have changed by now, but probably not, but I'd advise you to go over the paperwork closely. I seem to recall you got a payout if you were in hospital - but there was a minimum period you had to be in for before they'd pay out, and you had to get a covering letter from your doc - which most practices charge for - when you put in the claim. To get anything worthwhile back, you had to pay the maximum premiums . . . Oh, I'm starting to rant now . . .  so just go in with your eyes open and remember that with insurance, you're betting against yourself in the hope that you never have to claim! Sounds daft, but that's what it's all about.

Try "self-insurance" - put some s in a savings account or a Tracker ISA, on a regular basis, so that it all comes back to you and doesn't go to pay some salesman's commission. Talking of which - the rascal who sold the policy made contact a few months later, to say he'd changed firms and wanted to show me another insurance policy! Not tonight Darling, I'm washing my hair  Kiss
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 19 February 2004
i know were you are coming from waht  with the hard sell
i mean i aint here to sell there product..i wont get commision hehe
but they do have a plicy called adl or somthing like that and it covers you for anything...anywere
my mate had it . hurt his back...alittle bit swimming and the doc signrd him off for 4 weeks and he got 600 ...i suppose its like ost thing ..each to there own Grin
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 19 February 2004
Now that`s cleared that up.  Huh

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 19 February 2004
I look on the two guys who work with me as my insurance policy! If I'm off, they get more hours - If I was going to be off for a while, I'd take on a subbie to tide me over, and I think the difference between what I'd have to pay him for a few weeks would still be less than a year's premiums.

Does that make sense?
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 19 February 2004
Yes and put very clearly.


This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.