Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Working for Banks

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 11 March 2004
Hi

Does anyone do any work for banks??

Its one market I havent tried to get into yet.

If anyone has a sample letter thay have sent to a bank with results it would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Mark

sales@carpet-magic.co.uk
Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 11 March 2004
Mark  
most of the banks are covered by national contracts they may not service them very well but it due to the fact that they have national coverage.

And they are total facilities companies are you set up for that type of thing?

They best way to go for it would be to get 6 or 7 companys up an down the country together pick out the best at contract talks and approach the head offices.  

Up for it  

Barry
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 11 March 2004
Hi Mark

Up until last week I'd have agreed with Barry. I used to be involved with a high street bank and cleaned 1 branch a day, sometimes 2. All through their own property division in Sheffield. Fortunately, I withdrew from this type of work, and thought that they all worked in this way. Then last week I spoke to someone ( a one man band) who still cleans for a few high street banks.

If the system is still the same for them all, by all means mailshot the branch, but also try the Area Office. Some of the smaller banks may not yet have a maintenance plan. I'm thinking of maybe the Irish, Pakistani etc. etc. It's worth a try.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 11 March 2004
Hi

Thanks for your replies.

Ken

What do u suggest i put in the letter?

Mailing the branches I know this may sound obvious but do i address it to The Manager or someone else??

Thanks

Mark

Posted by Shaun_Ashmore (Shaun_Ashmore), 11 March 2004
Try facilities manager, the Bank that ken is refering to I think is HSBC and they used to be property services who dealt with cleaning etc (yes I've done banks as well) but they tend to have 1 company that does it all so you really need the contractors name.

Shaun
Posted by SteveTruman (SteveTruman), 11 March 2004
Huh,
Did price for my bank on 2 occasions, i knew the manager well (or so i thought) and on both occasions he got some guy who did it on weekends, because he was cheaper.Told him what i thought of his bank and his charges. First time the guy did em on a sat. afternoon, Monday morning when i went in there was still chewing gum all over and the walkways didnt look like they had been done,the lass behind counter told me what a c8r8a8p job. Thought he might of known better 2nd time but oh no.. So my view my friend is if you want to make a profit, dont go into cleaning bank carpets.

Regards

Steve
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 11 March 2004
What I used to hate about banks and building societies is that they insisted (for security reasons) that they be cleaned by a portable machine brought inside the building  Sad

With everything locked up tight, it was like doing aerobics in a turkish bath.

John.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 March 2004
John

What a hell of a way to keep slim Roll Eyes

John, we have never met but I can picture you doing the aerobics... The thought will keep me going today

Cheers
Derek
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 12 March 2004
Mark

Your direct marketing skills are much better than mine, but may I suggest that you phone the bank or if you can't get beyond the Delhi call centre, call into the branch and ask for the manager's name or for the appropriate person. It still surprises me, pleasantly I might add, that even in todays corporate world, some decisions are still made locally. Don't forget some building societies now have bank status.

Shaun

I never discuss or mention clients by name, but you are very knowledgeable in these matters Wink

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 12 March 2004
THanks Ken
Posted by woodman (woodman), 12 March 2004
Yes Mark

I clean a bank on a regular basis,have to take machine around the back up two metal staircases which go over the roof down another flight of stairs through a security check and  then locked in until finished.

Big brother watches you the whole time (not that I mind that much)

I always forget something of the b***dy van and have to get security to let out and start all over again.

When I've finished at about 8-30 -9pm I then have to wait to be let out lift the machine up the stairs across the roofing down two metal staircases etc etc etc.

As you can guess not one of my favs Cry
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 12 March 2004
on 03/12/04 at 07:32:15, Derek Bolton wrote:
John

What a hell of a way to keep slim Roll Eyes

Derek

Sad Sad Sad Didn't work though Sad Sad Sad

John

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 12 March 2004
Woodman

How did you initially get the job?

How often do you clean it.

Thanks

Mark

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.