Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

leather cleaners

Posted by frontera (frontera), 31 December 2003
i have some expensive leather furniture, and out of all the cleaners i don`t know which one is any good.
can anyone help me
Posted by carpetmonsters (carpetmonsters), 31 December 2003
hi

i have tried the leather cleaner from i belive ltt. it is a foam ( you have to buy the bottles as well) seems very good , will use all the time.

steve
Posted by woodman (woodman), 31 December 2003
Or try Saddle Soap.

Never mind what other suppliers will tell you it works perfectly well on leather sofas chairs etc.
Posted by LTT (LTT), 1 January 2004
Please do not use saddle soap on furniture.  The finishes these days can be ruined by it.  Foam cleaning is the best method.  Give us a ring on 01423 881027 for details.
Regards
Judy
Posted by woodman (woodman), 2 January 2004
Ah ha,

The old to saddle soap or not to saddle soap debate rises again.

I have used saddle soap along with other products for may years and have had no problem with it.

Just as many recommend it's use as those like Judy from LTT ( a supplier of leather cleaning products Grin sorry Judy couldn't resist it) who don't.

I know the all the arguments against, finish removal, attracts oils etc etc but I have used other products some good some not so good and have always ,especially on British made leather products, gone back to using saddle soap.Why British? the reason I have found is that imported leather is usually such poor quality, heavily treated to hide blemishes which are perfectly natural and should be left alone, that applying any thing other than fresh air can cause a problem, hence foam cleaners.
Indeed I deal with one British Manufacturer of fine leather furniture who RECOMMEND that their furniture should be washed using a cloth soaked in soapy water and then rinsed with cold water.
How many of us would do that? not many I suspect.

I understand where you are coming from Judy in the better safe than sorry statements but dismissing it's use out of hand in my opinion is wrong.
After all the Ecclesiastical Society and C of E will only allow the use of saddle soap on leather in Churches if it's good enough for them then it's good enough for me. Wink
Posted by Caesar (Caesar), 2 January 2004

go to either tony wheelwright and or lonnie mcdonald on the other bbs.I have there info.But I have to run right here.Also anytime you need info on that email me too.I do quite  LOT OF IT TO.bUT TIME IS NOT A BIG FACTOR HERE TODAY...rEGARDS....
Posted by petra (petra), 4 January 2004
I have tried the Prochem leather cleaner and then maintainer with excellent results, as long as you use them properly they are great.
Petra
Posted by As-New_Cleaning (As-New_Cleaning), 23 February 2004

Got a call from a woman today who's dog had got hold of a biro and drawn on the cream leather sofa before chewing up the pen. Could I help?

I used Alltec's Proffesional leather cleaner and got it straight out no problem.

£35 + vat for 20 mins work and that included drinking my coffee and waiting for her to fill out my testamonial form Grin

Darren
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 23 February 2004
I did two day hands on training with LTT last month,it was great too get your hands dirty.Cleaned  and protected two leather suites last week both turn out great.I used LeatherMaster strong cleaner in a foamer
and protection cream.
mick Cool

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.