Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

Help needed for pricing School cleaning job

Posted by dave (dave), 19 January 2004
Hi,

I've been to look at a cleaning job at the local Primary School. Normally they employ their own cleaners but can't get anyone to fill the position.

The job entails a maximum of three hours cleaning from 3 pm to 6 pm - cleaning, vacuuming and tidying of classrooms and toilets.

Can anyone give me an idea of what type of quote I will need to submit and rough price guide. I've been asked to provide two quotes

1. We provide labour only
          2. We provide cleaning materials and equipment

I will be looking to employ cleaners to do the job.

I need to bear in mind that it is a village school in a fairly affluent area, so people are'nt screaming out for cleaning jobs and will have to travel by car

Thanks in anticipation Dave
Posted by petra (petra), 19 January 2004
Ok I have posted this before and hope I get it right as Im knackered
wages+materials/ equiptment+% for uniform+%for additional bits+%admin/travel/insurance+%profit
Hope this helps.
Here is my earlier post
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Generalcon;action=display;num=1073923260;start=2#2
Posted by dave (dave), 20 January 2004
OK Thanks for that Petra, I know how to work out my profit margin, what I'm really looking for is an average going rate per hour,per person for this type of work as we have never quoted for a school before.

The hourly rate I charge for domestic cleaning, I would imagine would be too high.

I've got to bear in mind that it is regular work, 5 days a week, about 40 weeks a year and that I need to employ one cleaner on the job. I'll be paying the cleaner £6.00 per hour. I really don't want to overprice !!

Regards Dave

Regards Dave
Posted by petra (petra), 20 January 2004
well we pay our cleaner's on average £5 per hour, some get travel exp. but  if you use the link this is how I work out commercial can email you a spreadsheet, but only if this is not handed to just any one.
Petra
Posted by cleaning (cleaning), 21 January 2004
Dave,

If you employ a cleaner for 40 wks of the year, you need to think about what you will do with him/her for the other 12 weeks.

1. Have you got another job you can put her/him on for 12 wks.

2. Do you pay her 12 wks holiday pay.

Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 21 January 2004
Many school cleaners are employed for anything between 38 and 42 weeks a year with holidays on a  pro-rata basis.

The rest of the time they either do nothing (and don't get paid) or you can use them as cover cleaners (particularly useful during the summer weeks when other cleaners are taking their breaks).

A way of retaining such staff (which may have been your next question) is to spread the wage over the 52 weeks so £6 per hour, 10 hours a week, 40 weeks totals £2400. Pro rata holidays is £110.77. Therefore over 52 weeks the wage would be £48.28 p/w.

Assuming that you are not providing refuse sacks and bin liners annual ballpark figures for your two prices would be £4000 for labour only and £4250 to include equipment and materials.

I hope this helps.

Musicman
Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 21 January 2004
Damn! Have just re-read your original post. The shift is for 3 hours a day not the 2 hours I based by costings on.

Just multiply the figures by 1.5 so it should be £6000 for labour only and £6375 to include equipment and materials.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.