Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Keeping on top of late payments?

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 18 September 2003
I have started to get more contract work wich means I am getting more cheques, whenI agreed to do them I new that it would be 30 days before I got paid.One of them is starting to drag it out longer    Angry ,any tips on how to keep on top of them Cool
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 18 September 2003
Send a statement immediately at the end of 30 days politely saying payment is now overdue and please send by return.  No payment after 7 days, telephone and ask where it is.  Keep following up by phone say every 7 days or so, otherwise consider cutting service, I will do this after 2 to 3 months of non payment, depending on the customer.  Some larger commercial customers only do a cheque run once or twice a month so you might have to wait till the next one.  But the key is to get your invoices out promptly and follow up.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 18 September 2003
From sending my 1st invoice to payment is taking about 42 days, they say that payment is sent out 30 days from when they send the invoice to there finance department. HuhI have to send my invoice to the tenancy officer who then puts it in her out tray to send to the finance department ,I cant send it direct to the finance dept as she has to sign it to say that the work has been done.It is a good paying job,  inside work that can be done even when its raining,if I want to earn 72k per year   GrinI have to keep all my work Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 September 2003
I have always found it a good idea to find out their cheque run date and then give a gentle reminder a few days before the run if they are over the 30 days. Cheesy

Steve Lowe
Posted by luap (luap), 19 September 2003
hi and hello...just found this web site......one way round this issue is to put a late payment say 15% if not paid in full in your contract.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 19 September 2003
luap
Yes I think I like that idea   Grin, I will add it in future Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 19 September 2003
The only thing i worry about putting in a late payment clause is enforsing it because if you dont their is no point in putting it in, And if you do you risk the customer going else where. Cry   Mind you i suppose if they dont pay on time are they a customer worth having Huh

Steve Lowe
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 20 September 2003
You can work it the other way, by including the surcharge in the bottom line figure and allowing the customer to deduct the discount from that to give you the settlement within 30 days figure.  But some will deduct it anyway, even though they pay late.
I have found it best to keep customers that pay on time and drop the ones that don't (after giving them several warnings).  Customers that pay late cost YOU money and usually aren't worth the hassle.  Let your competitors get tied up with them!
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 20 September 2003
Winkthe thing I do is I always invoice in the beging of every month.so by the end of the month,your money is due! Wink when your clients I want 30 days,you say you just had it! Grin works a treat after all gotta feed babys and wifes boys! Wink you know it makes sense! Cool
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 20 September 2003
Terry,
       When i went for my yearly review with my bank manager (To see if they can sell you something Grin) he suggested invoicing at the beginning of the contract but i didn't think it would work. Huh Do you find they accept it OK Huh

Steve Lowe

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.