Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

He's 'avin a larf

Posted by denzle (Denzle), 3 February 2004
How about this then chaps... got a call to go and price a shop front today, when i call to see the manager he tells me that he wants the outside of 2 x 5'x5' windows and a door cleaned once a week anytime to suit me.
So i give him a price of £10 as the job will take me about 4 minutes to do on a slow day and is almost next door to a couple of other shops that i do.
The manager almost took my arm off, then he told me that the previous guy had done it for a month and then invoiced them at £64 a clean, needless to say they got rid of him pronto.
Where did he get that price from ??Perhaps i have missed something, does £10 for a couple of minutes work sound to low or what ??
All replies appreciated.
Denzle
Posted by matt (matt), 3 February 2004
we do 4 shops in a street of about 20, so they are farily close, 2 are done every other week, and 2 are done one a month

we charge 8.50 - 9.00 a shop front

as you say, takes 5 mins a shop front, cannot complain about that
Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 3 February 2004
Sounds Great to me!
I had the opposite in a Major Store in a City high street 3 floors high shop x 15 metres wide all glass they wanted it cleaned 7 days a week for £120.00 Lips Sealed No Chance Grin
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 3 February 2004
oh no...i do a small key shop front two big windows and a door...2,50

and thinking about it i charge 5.00 for a shop listen to this
3 large windows about 10foot square each...several small window included in all this(about 7)
the top flat of the shop...3 windows each consisting of 3 pains of glass

then i carry the ladder through the shop and to 5 windows at the back(two tops) and the back door...did i mention the front door as well...double opening..Smiley

it takes me 10 mins

christ im cheap, how much would you lot charge..i will try to get a pic simaler..and how would i put them up..he'll tell me to "go away" if i put it up to even a tenner

saying all that i do his house...15 mins work 7.50...he must laugh at me..and he wants recipts....ahhaahhahaah

simaler size to key shop...once a month....£2.00
http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=www.cardandgiftcentre.co.uk/shop-front.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.cardandgiftcentre.co.uk/&hl=en&h=236&w=300&start=1&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dshop%2Bfront%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8
its in the same street of some houses so...

5.00 fruit shop..(similer)http://www.crystalball.com.au/images/crystal.ball.shop.front.jpg bear in mind the back tops etc

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 3 February 2004
Nice size link  to picture
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 3 February 2004
Grinand what makes you say that Grin
Posted by simonb (simonb), 3 February 2004
Where are you in the country to be charging £10?
Posted by simonb (simonb), 3 February 2004
Where are you in the country to be charging £10?
Worcestershire... Why do you reckon its a bit low ?

Denzle
Posted by paul (paul), 3 February 2004
i do six shops evry monday morning and charge 365.00 PLUS VAT TAKES 30MINS Roll Eyes
Posted by paul (paul), 3 February 2004
SORRY SHOULD BE £65.00 Shocked
And i thought £2:50 a minute was pretty good but i gotta take my hat off to you there.
Denzle
Oh, in that case we ain't that far apart, I was thinking of moving to Gloucestershire for a moment  Grin
Denzle
Posted by Simon_King (Simon_King), 4 February 2004
I think I am doing well if I do £65 by dinner!!!  Shocked
Posted by simonb (simonb), 6 February 2004
It must be more competitive in Worcs. In Bristol you could charge £5 but there are guys doing it for £3.50
Simon
Posted by Wishy-Washy_window (Mikey Y), 6 February 2004
So was this other guy,

got a story as well Denzle, i priced up a very large villa inside and outside clean at 120 euro, the owner nearly bit my hand of as well, as a guy asked for over 550 euro for the same clean. I,m happy, takes me about 3.5 hours and she tips me most times10 euro. What a nice lady she is.

Mikey Y
Spain
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 6 February 2004
I'm all for making good money, but ripping people off Never. This job will take me 4-5mins maximum, I think that £15 per minute is taking the proverbial......
Denzle

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.