Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

pricing help,again!

Posted by brucie (brucie), 31 March 2004
I have noticed in the past what you guys normaly charge for carpet cleaning.However I have just been asked to quote for cleaning of brand new carpet,which has been soiled by builders,"not too bad but needs more than just a vacuum".Would you beleive 10,000 sq yards.Help needed for pricing ?
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 31 March 2004
Tell us more, what type of carpet, ground floor, multi-floor, furniture to move, night work, weekend work etc.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 31 March 2004
As John request more info and be specific also have you a 110 machine?

Len

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 31 March 2004
Or 3 T/ms duel operated??

Is someone taking the PHuh

90,000sq ft 1 months work, I'd have to do a Nick and registar for the dreaded!!!
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 31 March 2004
Brucie,

From what you write, I would put asside the actual acreage of carpet and do a carefull walk-through of the entire area considering the following;

It is likely that the entire carpet will require a thorough pre-vac, some areas will be suitable for low-moisture or VLM cleaning, some areas may require spot treatments and/or extraction cleaning.

Make an assement of the time/costs required to cover the entire carpet by the mix of  methods and apply what you consider a suitable hourly rate for the entire job, plus a safety margin to cover a degree of miscalculation.

Remember also that eventually the cost of cleaning is liable to be bourne by the builders, so any direct contact with the site agent is an opportunity to make them aware that normally the cost of cleaning this amount of carpet would be £X,000 but through your expertise and profesionalism you are able to reduce the costs by applying appropiate methods to individual sectors of the carpet. This should get them on-side.

If you were called in by the building owners, cost reduction will not be the selling point since they would seek recovery from the builders. Rather the  speedy completion with minimum disruption is the best approach with them.

Best of luck,

John.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 31 March 2004
Brucie,

PS  to above - if some building workers will still be on site consider any additional H&S issues this may give rise to and also make clear that you cannot be held reponsible for any resoiling that may result from builders boots/dust on cleaned carpets - someone other than yourself must lay down the law regarding access to cleaned areas.

John.

PPS - I just had a vision of builders' labourers walking around in company-issued fluffy pink slippers. Grin Grin
Posted by brucie (brucie), 1 April 2004
Thanks for your replys,I have just been informed that not all the 10000sq yards need cleaning,(thank God), but he will let me Know how much needs doing.
Posted by woodman (woodman), 1 April 2004
Hi Brucie

First of establish who is reasponsible for payment, this is very important especially where builders are concerned.

Once you have established this get a works order number for reference on your invoice.If you don't do this (and they will probably not issue you with one if you don't ask)then when it comes to payment or chasing payment they will delay it as long as possible, probably months, as  will say they have no reference to work to.It's an old trick they always use on new contractors Angry

If you have never worked for them before and have no credit/terms and conditions arrangement with them then issue them with a Proforma Invoice.If they will not accept this then it's your call as to whether you want to take a chance and accept the work.

Remember aswell that if the work is for the builders they will deduct tax at source sometimes up to 25% so be prepared for that.It's then up tp you to claim it back from our good friend the Chancellor.

As you have probably gathered by now I have experience working for builders good and bad and have been knocked on several occasions.If you are working for one of the big boys ie Balfour Beaty etc you will be fine as they work to correct procedures if not BEWARE Shocked

I hope I havn't frightened you off as this type of work is not only easy but profitable, so long as you get paid. Wink
But you must cover your back.
Posted by Kinver_Clean (Kinver_Clean), 1 April 2004
The easiest way round the tax problem is to obtain a Construction Industry Scheme certificate from the tax office, otherwise the builder has to put you on his books as an employee. My accountant did it for me at nominal cost and it has earned me thous over the last 2 yrs. DO get an official order with the meterage and your price on it. Even the big boys will wriggle a bit ( I know its just happened to me)

Trevor
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 1 April 2004
Just to add to the topic....

Always add your payment terms in bold on your quotation /invoices etc ...
ie.

TERMS: PAYMENT NET WITHIN 14 DAYS FROM DATE OF INVOICE.

The key word is 'net'..... builders have a nasty habit of deducting a 5% trade discount...automatically... the 'net' bit stops 'em

Cheers
Derek
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 1 April 2004
Brucie

All the above threads have valid points money! But will you be let in with out proper ppe, machines which conform to all sites before hand over 110v, method/risk assessment etc sorry some sites are run as a Mickey mouse, extreme care should be taken, hope you have adequate insurance then you my not be covered!

Len

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.