Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

PRACTICAL Carpet & Upholstery cleaning course

Posted by rob_s (rob_s), 22 February 2004
Hi Members

I have just attended the NCCA course, so that I can become a member.  I also went on this course 20 years ago which was instructed by Ian Day.

The courses at both times were very informative, but mainly theory and very little practical involvement.  I realise this is due to the number of students attending and limited time-scale.

Personally, I feel, along with other students I spoke to, that there would be great benefits from a practical carpet and upholstery cleaning course, with a hands-on feel to it.  I realise that some companies do run practical days, but are largely promoting their own machines and chemicals.

I wonder if it would be possible for Derek Bolton and Mike Boxall to organise one of these practical courses for us as members of this forum.  I for one would be willing to pay to attend.

How do other members feel about this?

regards, rob-s
 Cheesy

Posted by Happyeater (Happyeater), 22 February 2004
Agree totally, Rob. A hands on carpet cleaning / upholstery course would be of great interest to my business. Be glad to pay for it too.

Nice to meet you btw.  Smiley
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 22 February 2004
So rob after 20 years you still need someone to show you how to use a wand Roll Eyes

what practical things do you want to learn

here you go

lesson 1) how to use a pile brush:  grab handle push forward then pull backwards.... repeat... repeat

Mike Wink
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 22 February 2004
I would love to attend something like this, you can never get enough training. Smiley Smiley

Upholstery in particular would be great to see i would like to see the different handtools people have and compare before i make a spend.
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 22 February 2004
Maybe we can tie it in to the 'Sunny day out in the Midlands'?

How many do we have interested?

Regards

Mike
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 22 February 2004
People have been saying this, about the requirement of a practical course for years, certainly since my first Prochem course in 1980. Isnt the truth, the fact that, like ALL of us had to in those days - by experience, you find out for yourself the best techniques to suite you as an individual - after all none of use absolutely identical methods and techniques as each other. You start with abasic idea and progress from there.
Dave.
I reckon i take too long and being a newby still have at least one moment each clean where i think , i should have done this or that instead.

I don't think training is a bad thing even if you can just check that you are doing things the smartest way.

Im not ashamed to say i am still cack with a wand , i don't look comfortable at all with it , i have developed a nasty habit of pulling it into my waist and not drawing it across my body.I dont seem to be able to stop doing it.

I saw a bloke the other week who had many years experience who scrubbed like hell whatever he was doing he needs to be doing more cleans than me just to pay for the mars bars for energy i reckon.

Also a bloke with a truckmount who had been doing it a while he was as bad me.

the point i am trying to make is that i have developed bad habits from lack of training early on and it is hard to shake them.

Its a bit like when you have golf lessons , you play ok but know you are not quite doing it right , you go and see the pro and your game go's down the pan it feels all odd but in the end your score lowers , i guess for us cleaners a par would be less sweaty forheads and achey back from bad teqnique.
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 22 February 2004
GOLF !!!!

What's spoiling a good walk to do with carpet cleaning  Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh Huh
Forgive me John but as you know all too well, I sadly live in a world which revolves round golf,  Sadits stuck in my mind Sad . My lady eats, breathes and ahum 's the game.

One benefit she is hob nobbing with a few toffs who have dirty conservatory carpets  Grin Grin so it might just pay for her membership.

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 23 February 2004
Hi Guys

I happen to agree with most of the comments..when I started in the business I was NEVER shown how to use a wand/handtool apart from a vague movement across the carpet by the salesperson.

I have felt for years that for a newcomer this practical form of course would be beneficial.

The logistics of the situation is where the practical side of training in cleaning falls down.

Where do you hold such a course?

Where will you source ALL the equipment and the various items to clean from?

When you start to put all these things together the costs spiral to the point that it becomes a less attractive proposition.

Cheers
Derek
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 23 February 2004
we all have a spare cleaning machine or bonnet etc tucked away or ask one of the big boys( prochem etc) to bring some of their range
mick
ps
what about if we get all the new ones to cleaning ,follow
Derek around( in a big mini bus) all day on his jobs!!!!!! Wink just joking
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 23 February 2004
Perhaps we could find a hotel with a few spare rooms that need cleaning.

Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 23 February 2004
Begining to sound like a 'Sunny Day Out' type of get together - and dont these (two at least) already exist.
Dave.
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 25 February 2004
I thought that was what it was but in the Midlands.

Why dont we have a Carpet Cleaning Convention In Spain

All tax deductable.
Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 2 March 2004
Practical training courses is an excellent idea, and I'd certainly like to be involved. There are other ways too. I quite often get involved with "Newbies" who will spend a day or two with me to get a feel for what the practical side is like. This isn't always a one way street though, as on several occasions, small details that are obvious to an outsider can be missed by us "more mature" cleaners who can become a little blinkered in our approach. Another two way scenario is when you network with colleagues on larger jobs.

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.