Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

cleaning a stone fireplace

Posted by ruth_wainwright (ruth_wainwright), 16 October 2003
I have recently had installed a local Kerridge stone fireplace which seems to be porous.The builders marked it when they put it in and I cant remove the stains I have tried  a soft cloth and soap any advice would be greatly appreciated. Huh
Posted by DP (DP), 16 October 2003
Might be helpful if you could advise, what or how they have marked it, ie is it cement staining or dirty hand prints or perhaps a shoe mark etc etc.

If you know that is.

Using the wrong product can actually "set" the stain if you get it wrong, so be carefull about just trying anything.

DP
Posted by ruth_wainwright (ruth_wainwright), 16 October 2003
Thanks for reply.It looks like fluid? dirty water and general dust of floor
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 16 October 2003
I once marked a brand new sand stone step with one drop of mild detergent from a bucket. Washed and rinsed through but would not go. Rang the suppliers of the stone and they said try bleach and it worked no problem. If you try this, first try in an unconspicuous area as they say on the bottle  Roll Eyes
John
Posted by ruth_wainwright (ruth_wainwright), 17 October 2003
thanks john I,ll let you know.Yours Ruth.
Posted by petra (petra), 17 October 2003
or brick cleaner from a builder merchants, it removes cement stains out of brick work....
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 17 October 2003
Ruth,
Your no relation to Ken Wainwright are you? Grin
Posted by ruth_wainwright (ruth_wainwright), 18 October 2003
Thanks for advice Petra I'll let you know.
Cloverleaf I don't know a Ken Wainwright but theres one in the family tree born in 1920 is that him?
Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 18 October 2003
Grin
No Ken was born well b4 then  Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.