Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Help with leaded windows

Posted by acleanwindow.co.uk (acleanwindow.co.uk), 20 September 2003
Started cleaning windows 2 months ago as a part time job, getting plenty of work, still very slow but learning, the main problem i have is cleaning leaded windows  Huh Please can anyone help with some tips or tried and tested methods, also any help too speed me up would be appreciated.

Cheers Steve.
Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 20 September 2003
If they are the newer flat leaded windows, then soap up as normal with your strip washer and squeegee off using straight pulls, polish out before dry with your scrim.  Depending on how dirty they get you may only have to do this at first, on  the following cleans just wash over with a damp no 2 scrim and polish out with a dry no 1 scrim.  On the older individual leaded panes that are not flat enough to squeegee just use the second method.  A rat tailed mop can work better than a no 2 scrim if you like them.
But by far the easiest method is waterfed pole, just scrub, rinse and allow to dry.  Wonderful!!!
Posted by acleanwindow.co.uk (acleanwindow.co.uk), 20 September 2003
Thanks for the tips, still very green at the moment, not to sure about a no1 and no2 scrim, please can someone explain all.

Thanks  Smiley

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 20 September 2003
Grade one and grade two scrim refers to the weight and tightness of the weave of the scrim. Grade one being better quality than two. Cheesy

Hope this helps!

Steve Lowe
Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 20 September 2003
Forgot to say i personally clean leaded glass with a rat tail and a scrim but cleaning them with a pole must save loads of time. Smiley

Steve Lowe
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 20 September 2003
Winkyou can buy from the federation a leather that looks like a mop head! Undecided this is for leaded windows,then scrim them after! Wink
Posted by Craig_Wilson (Craig_Wilson), 22 September 2003
I use a rat tailed mop and a scrim to clean leaded windows.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.