Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Encapsulation/Crystalisation

Posted by cleaning (Tony C), 10 February 2004
In carpet cleaning terms, is encapsulation the same as crystalisation. If not, can someone explain the difference.

Tony
Posted by cleaning (Tony C), 13 February 2004
Does the lack of response to thi question mean:-

I've asked a stupid question  Embarassed.
Know one knows the answer Shocked
I'm being ignored Cry.

Tony

Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 13 February 2004
Hi Tony
encapsulation, means to trap the dirt in the product used.

crystalisation, means that once the product starts to re-harden in goes into a crystal form and thyen can be hoovered out.

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by cleaning (Tony C), 14 February 2004
Thanks Martin,

I really did'nt expect this subject to spark quite so much controvercy. Grin
Posted by Robert_O (Robert Olifent), 14 February 2004
Hi all

I have to admit that this question stumped me for a moment.

Whilst I am aware of how the different methods work, I was not sure of this terminology used.

So I assume that Host cleaning or dry granule cleaning is 'Encapsulation' (absorbing the soiling into the granule product used). I presume the term encapsulation may also apply to the Von Schrader dry foam extraction, as the soil laden foam is taken away in its wet form. It might even be considered as a hybrid between the crystalisation and encapsulation with any residual foam within the carpet as it crystalizes.

Crystalisation is the use of a dry foaming chemical shampoo which is whipped up into the fibre and taking the soiling within the foam. Upon drying the foam crystalizes into like a powder form still containing the soil, and then is vacuumed out once dry.

Have I got this correct, or am I talking out of my hat?

Wouldn't be the first time I have been known to talk out of my hat!!! Embarassed Undecided Grin

My thoughts are that because no one hardly responded that  they were not quite sure them selves. It is just my theory anyway.

Regards

Robert
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 14 February 2004
Robert,

As I understand it, encapsulation involves crystalisation but with the crystals growing on and around the soil particles, thereby encapsulating them.

Whilst the Host system aims to achieve the same result, it is by absorbtion and therefore more akin to bonnet buffing.

John.
Posted by Robert_O (Robert Olifent), 14 February 2004
Hi John

Thanks for your reply, it seems that you can never stop learning in this business, and I too still have a lot to learn! Smiley  So crystalization and encapsulation are pretty much one and the same.

Thanks again

Robert

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 14 February 2004
Hi Robert,

Pretty much the same, I can't remember the exact terms but encapsulation  is called something like 'nuclear crystalisation' whereas the non-encapsulation breed are random 'amorfous' crystals.

As you say, we never stop learning - problem is some of us oldies find it sometimes difficult to recall the finer points of what we have already learned Sad.

John.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.