Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

BNI Membership

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 30 October 2003
Anybody here a memberHuh

Has it worked for you?

Let us know.

Mark
Posted by woodman (woodman), 30 October 2003
OK I'll ask, Grin

What is the BNI, sorry for my ignorance. Embarassed
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 30 October 2003
You beat me to it woody, was is bni?
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 30 October 2003
Business Network International.

No I am not a member, but my daughter attends for the company that she works for, nothing to do with Carpet Cleaning.

She tells my that she does very well out of the breakfast meetings that they have.

I have been invited by her to go as her guest, but 7.30am 12 miles away for breakfast is much too early for me, could it be my age??
Posted by harvey (harvey), 30 October 2003
I was a member a couple of years ago when i was involved in the telecoms industry.  
Yes its an early start but i think i would very well for a Carpet Cleaning business.  
Basically everybody who goes to these very organised meetings is expected to generate leads for each other each week.  
A good idea i think!
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 30 October 2003
The way my daughter see's it, is that all the members are wanting to sell and nobody is looking to buy, but she is an employee (with a Degree), who is very business orientated (she comes from good breeding stock) and NOT a self-employed, who has to pay their own joining fees (£400+), but after paying £400.00 would you be looking to buy or SELL??

Should you want to do some staff training or put on a play for your clients !! let me know I'll put you in touch with her Cool Cool Cool.
Posted by Tony_Browning (Tony_Browning), 30 October 2003
Howdee
I went to 2 open days as a guest, the principle is good, but you commit yourself to a joining fee as already mentioned, as well as attending a meeting every week @ 7.30 am.....At the meetings I attended I didn't see much evidence of substancial leads being generated and  SmileyI didn't want to commit to that as I am sure that 2-3 hours a week of proactive marketing at home during more "socialable" hours would generate as much, if not more business.
Kind Rgds
Tony
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 30 October 2003
Chambers of trade do similar events, but as I have said before why not organizise your own swap meet with local tradesmen.

ust a variation on the bottle of whisky or the deal you have with your local estate agent.

Posted by nick_warrenevans (nick_warrenevans), 5 November 2003
I was a member for 2 years whilst starting up the business.
It is good for new businesses but i found once you become established you need BNI less.
The down side of this organisation is

Annual cost £280.00 approx to join, plus one off joining fee £60.00 all plus vat.

weekly fee of £5-7 for breakfast.

Yuo are expected to provide business referals weekly for your fellow members.

You are expected to use your fellow members services

each week you are to stand up and give a 60 sec talk on a chosen subject which may be your core business or type of customers wanted.

you get very little support from the BNI hierarchy

if you dont mind a weekly breakfast meeting 7.00am -8.30 and all the other stuff have a go

Nick
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 5 November 2003
Thanks for the replies guys.

I dont think i will go ahead with it.

To be honest the 60 second talk every week scares the willies outta me!!!

hahhha

Also the joinging fee is a bit steep etcetc

Ta

Mark

On another note doea anyone fancy forming a little Marketing Think tank between ouraelves??

I was thinking of say a weekly or minthly "Brainstorming " session similiar to the Pihrahna Marketing one.

We could all meet in say a chat room once a week and discuss various issiues one to one.

I know ther LMCCA used to do this and it was very good. The upside is that after all the discussuins etc you could save the whole chat to your pc for future reference??
Posted by harvey (harvey), 5 November 2003
Sounds a very good idea, you should make a new topic of it so that it appears on the front page as a subject!

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.