Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

All these topics...

Posted by Ken (Ken), 17 December 2003
Hello Forum Admin. As there are so many topics on the site now is there any chance of sticking them in catergories i.e. wfp, pricing, suppliers etc? Just a thought.

Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 19 December 2003
Hi Ken

Yes, it's in hand and should be done soon

Merry Xmas
Posted by matt (matt), 19 December 2003
without sounding like a know it all

ive been a mod on a number of PC/tech message boards, and when you have too many forums, people seem to slow down posting, as they think "oh should i post this here or there"

personally i would leave the board like it is
Posted by fez (fez), 19 December 2003
I have to agree........this way you tend to read everything (or I do!) because there are only two sections. I it were broken down into sub sections it might divide the userbase too much. I'd vote to leave well alone. Smiley Just my opinion! Wink
Posted by fez (fez), 19 December 2003
How about actually putting it to the vote admin? Huh
Posted by matt (matt), 19 December 2003
the old saying,

if it aint broke, dont fix it

or something like that  Wink

you could have a FAQ file sticky'ed tothe top of each forum, does YaBB have a sticky hack HuhHuh...ive only mod'ed on UBB and vB boards, though they are all similar deep down
Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 20 December 2003
Valid points!

We did create the seperate 'Starting a window cleaning business' section to cut down on the number of times we had the question 'what do I need to start up'

Unfortunately, we now also get 'Which is the best pole system' all the time and there are also other questions that crop up regularly.

Maybe the answer is to keep it as it is for now and redirect new members to existing topics before we start answering the same ones time after time?

The success of any forum is based on the ability to find and monitor specific topics and the more there are the harder it becomes to keep on top of them.

So then, as far as a vote goeswe have 1 for adding new sections and 2 for keeping it as it is.

What does everyone else think -

Keep it as it is
OR
Create new sub-sections

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 20 December 2003
I think its better how it is Smiley Why change something thats going so well as it is Huh

Steve
Posted by peterf (peterf), 20 December 2003
I would say it is better the way it is, saves you from going searching for messages that interest you.  The way it is you just ignore the ones you are not interested in, and read the ones you are.

Peter

Posted by pw (paul w), 20 December 2003
i agree keep it as it is.i think its great
Posted by paul (paul), 21 December 2003
i agree keep it as it is its quicker to get through
Posted by Bryan_Dolby (Bryan_Dolby), 21 December 2003
I will have to agree with keeping it the same Grin

What we could do is keep the topic the same as the posting
How many times have NVQs or FEDERATION been
disscussed when it had nothing to do with the posting
read find me a window cleaner Huh

On the other hand is this good way of disscusing window cleaning issues Huh

Bryan Dolby
Posted by denzle (denzle), 21 December 2003
I agree with Brian, lets keep it the same but stay on topic to avoid confussion.
Denzle
Posted by Bones (Bones), 21 December 2003
Hi Guy's,

When you have a topic that has not been posted upon for around 45 days put it in front of a commitee type thing, say 5 people and decide wether it should be deleted, as some old topics would still be informative in a year or so to newbies to the game and would be a shame to delete.

As for the sections, two sections are ideal, if you had more sections & sub-Sections it could get a bit outta hand and it would get a bit more complicated for pc novices.

Just an idea Undecided

Mikey
Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 22 December 2003
So it looks like keeping it the same for now - sorry Ken.

Is it a good idea to delete anything? If you actually go back to the first topics there are very few (if any) which wouldn't be of value to someone!?

Maybe we should just 'lock' more topics than we do at the moment.
Posted by Ken (Ken), 22 December 2003
I bow to the weight of public opinion and ask for mercy.
Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 22 December 2003
Could you not have a section for older posts , once a topic is x amount of days old it goes into a archive section , and still can be viewed  Cool
Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 22 December 2003
Winkyep I have to agree I think it should stay as it is,I think whatever way you did this forum,we all would still take a peak on the other pages Roll Eyes
Posted by matt (matt), 22 December 2003
mr admin

in my experience, locking posts is also pointless, if your not running out of space, why do anything Huh??
Posted by samm (samm), 22 December 2003
I probably prefer sections, less to scroll through, I'd still read it all, just have 5 or so smaller sections to look through rather than 2 lists, but then votes count, so thats 2 votes for more categories Smiley

Sam
Posted by sean_rimmer (Dom Matrix aka BRODEX), 23 December 2003
This reply has been moved to a more appropriate topic here:
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Equipment;action=display;num=1071593911;start=20
Posted by Reuben_Reynolds (Reuben_Reynolds), 23 December 2003
This reply has been moved to a more appropriate topic here:
http://www.cleanitup.co.uk/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=Equipment;action=display;num=1071593911;start=20
Posted by Ken (Ken), 13 January 2004
I'm not making a point but there are 4 posts about GG4 on the first page of topics alone!

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.