Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

General Cleaning Issues - Floorcare, car valeting, buying and selling businesses, pricing, staffing, market research, etc.

school cleaning

Posted by ellen (ellen), 29 October 2003
This is my first time writing on this website   Cheesy
I am just wondering wether there is anyone involved in school cleaning registered and wonder wether i am the only one facing the day to day grind of this thankless task!?
Has anyone got any comments on this subject or on an easy/quick method of cleaning altro (non slip) flooring without having to scrub it every day?
Debbie
Posted by ukmediums (ukmediums), 29 October 2003
Hi Ellen

I am a school cleaner although our school only has 35 pupils so its not to bad.

I am currently trying the headteacher with a new idea, all the kids and staff alike take off their shoes on entry to make my job easier.
I wonder if they will pass this rule...........I live in hope

Speak to you again
Simon
Posted by petra (petra), 29 October 2003
have you check altro's site, they do give you maintance instructions there, But as mentioned in an eariler post, we use a lemon or pine floor gel, pour into bucket of hot water, mop on leave for a few minutes and mop again, this is the proper method of removing marks from floors, we have tried it on hgv grease and oily boot marks and scuffs and it does work....
Petra
Posted by Mr._One_Step (Steve Carpenter), 29 October 2003
The surface of safety flooring is slightly porous because it moves underfoot to increase traction when you walk on it. Its microstructure can quickly become clogged with soil and detergent residue, and also as a result of improper cleaning practices.

Dry dust mop with a clean mop or better still vacuum, this removes more insoluble particulate soil. Always mix your cleaning solution correctly with a measuring beaker and add to cold water. Apply via a clean mop and if the floor has a heavy build up of soil agitate by hand with a deck scrubber, or with mechanical floor cleaning machines such as a low speed rotary fitted with a scrubbing brush, or the contra rotating style brush machines from Duplex, Rotowash etc. Change your mop water regularly and always use clean fresh mops (replace these on a regular basis).

One of the most effective products available in the market place is One Step ‘Dynax’. It is non-residual so you wont get the residue problems as found with some detergent based products.

Regards

Steve

Thanks all for such speedy replies,i would whole heartily agree with Simons idea but if it wasn't hard enough to get the kid's to put rubbish in the bin two foot away from it -so we've got no chance with the shoes!!

As to the altro flooring ,yes i do know Altro's suggested method of cleaning but with the time restraints put on the cleaners it is in reality not workable.We have tied numerous different chemicals on the flooring (even one that Marley the suppliers have suggested)-but to no avail,floor still looks patchy/dirty in places and nothing short of scrubbing with a machine will remove it.....may be it's something that we will have to live with ....or maybe my standards are too high?!!!
Debbie
Posted by mr_sheen (mr_sheen), 29 October 2003
hi Debbie
you should never ever ever seal this type of floor covering.without waring customer that they will loose 30% of the slip resistancy, you could void the manufactures warranty
you should contact the suppliers of the floor and the makers and speak to them direct.
many regards
Mr Sheen

ps so ithink mr carpenter is so so wrong
Mr sheen,yep tried that one -rep avoided me !!
Says something about me maybe?!
We will continue to scub the floors every school break and shout at the schools for letting their 'darlings' throw paint and ink all over them!!
Thanks anyway - just thought i would see if there was a massive trade secret that everyone was keeping from me !(don't worry i only have a slight bit of paranioa!!!)
Debbie
hi Debbie
well all i say is abit of old fashioned elbow grease

best regards
Mr sheen
Posted by Mr._One_Step (Steve Carpenter), 29 October 2003
Mr Sheen,

I never mentioned in my post about sealing Altro safety flooring! Although it can be sealed with 2 light coats of sealer not finish and as you have said its anti-slip resistance is reduced in this case by only about 10% not 30%.

Most schools I visit with regard to safety floor cleaning problems do have time constraints and this can sometimes lead to the operator becoming lazy. Both dust mops, damp mops are dirty and they never change their water as frequently as they should, so they end up trying to clean with dirty water.

One Step ‘Dynax’ will resolve these cleaning issues. That I can assure you!

Regards

Mr. Carpenter

well if you would like to contact altros they will tell you that it will lose 30% so you need to get your facts right before you post rubbish, this is a cleaning forum
Thanks Mr Carpenter,
We do keep all our equipment clean,we do change our water regularly and unfortunately i am tied to using my company's nominated supplier who does not supply the chemical you suggest.

Debbie
Thanks Mr Sheen,
I am just tired of everyone asuming that everything is always the cleaners fault.....and that all cleaners are lazy or uneducated! the fact is that at times buildings are designed by architects who have absolutely no idea as to how the people who use the building will treat it..........I mean would you put stainless steel(not matt!) and glass down stairs in a high school?!! or a porous floor covering that stains easily in an art or domestic science room?!!
Debbie
well Debbie they must have there heads up there back sides when they design schools and places like this everyone knows what children are like aint got no respect for anyone or any thing.
got 3 children my self so i should know lol

mr sheen
Cleaner are either never noticed or never praised for their hard work, I do not class my cleaning staff as cleaners, they are domestic engineers, the heart and sole of any building.......with out us what would all those thoughless untidy people do. And i may own the company, but I still scrub bogs...

hear hear Petra !!
Debbie
Ps
My name is Debbie I registerd wrongly!!
well done girls you tell them, what do we men know about cleaning lol

you can edit your profile and change your name
Mr sheen

Now male cleaner's, some of them ain't half good.......
Wink
Petra
Posted by ellen (Debbie S), 29 October 2003
I agree ,sexist i know but i find them very good on floors!!
Not so hot in toilets though
Debbie
well it depends what you do in the toilets and how big they are lol
I think some one has left himself very open there..........

Wink
Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 30 October 2003
on 10/29/03 at 21:48:07, mr_sheen wrote:
well if you would like to contact altros they will tell you that it will lose 30% so you need to get your facts right before you post rubbish, this is a cleaning forum

Mr Sheen

Unfortunately, some of your posts have already been removed. Please keep your posts on this forum professional should you wish to be taken seriously.

Forum Admin

Posted by mr_sheen (mr_sheen), 30 October 2003
Forum Admin
sorry if mr carpenter dont like what i have to say, but altros do say that you lose 30%  and he wants to get his facts right before he gives out false info.
and for the other posts we are only having a laugh thats what forums are all about aint they?.

dont want to be a boring old f*rt .
we all need to smile some times dont you agree.

if he cant take the back lash then he should'nt give out false info. he needs to chillout sit back and give out simple and easy to understand info and not to technical.

Mr Sheen Huh
Posted by admin (Forum Admin), 30 October 2003
on 10/30/03 at 10:24:29, mr_sheen wrote:
only having a laugh thats what forums are all about aint they?.

Not this one - this is a professional forum for professional people! If you cant post without swearing and knocking others go elsewhere!

Otherwise, we look forward to your continuing contribution!

on 10/30/03 at 11:06:25, Forum Admin wrote:
If you cant post without swearing and knocking others go elsewhere!

i have not done any swearing and im only stating facts from the company that makes the flooring

sorry for having alaugh Iwill be boring from now on
Posted by petra (petra), 30 October 2003
Forumn adminstrator
regrarding Mr sheens quote about the altro flooring, and it looseing 30% of its slip resistancy, this is a well know fact which Altro's themselves will tell you too, if you seal and polish one of their floors, may be Mr Sheens wording was not quite right, but if you notice Mr Carpenter does like to put people down too, but with loads of tech jargon.....when someone wants simple advice and other give it Mr C. just tries to make other look like fools
thanx for your support Petra
cant see what ive done wrong, when you look at some of mr carpenters posts putting every one else down.
Mr Sheen Wink
Posted by woodman (woodman), 30 October 2003
Mr Sheen,

We have been very lucky on this site to have some posters who are at the very top of our profession  (if I may call it that) SC being one of them, who have been able to give invaluable FREE advice to all sorts of different cleaners and to new starts.

For possibly the first time we have a forum where all cleaners can share information and even prices charged with out fear of any underhand tactics to obtain data.

This ranges from the NCCA to family businesses that have been around for many years indeed some carpet cleaners on here have been in business over 30 years.This amounts to knowledge that simply can not be obtained any where else in quick fashion.If you look at some of the posts you will see that we have been able to get cleaners out of some very tricky situations and possibly win some important business for others.

Even experienced operators, and I class myself in that catergory, have been able to obtain news and info on new products and machinery that otherwise we have had no idea about and tips on cleaning methods that have been of great importance too some.

We don't by any means always agree and sometimes this can lead to heated debate on the subject but never personal attacks of the nature which you carried out.If  you don't agree fine post this and move on, but don't enter or encourage others to post anything that one might  construe as abusive.

We look forward to seeing some positive input from yourself and hope that you enjoy your time on the board and entering into discusion on the wonderful world of cleaning Wink

Woodman

Posted by STEVE71163 (Steve Lowe), 30 October 2003
Well said woodman,
                              Its been long overdue a site like this and we do not want it spoilt by abusive posters.

Steve Lowe

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.