Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Tucker Real Estate

Posted by Polepro (Polepro), 20 November 2003
I little while ago Peter Fogwell and I had a small disagreement about the nature of Tucker Poles other business. Peter said that Tucker were in the water treatment business before they made Tucker Poles. I had been told by Robin Tucker himself that their other business was Real Estate.

I had a surf around the net and found the Tommy Tucker Realty Co website www.ttrco.com formed in 1958 with a smart picture of Robin and his family outside his home right there on the front page.

I searched like made for a Tucker water treatment business but could not find one. Not having a go Peter, I just wanted to prove my information was correct.

Tom
Posted by peterf (peterf), 20 November 2003
No problem Tom,

All I was trying to get across at the time was the fact that water fed pole systems came from the USA, and not the south of England, if I jumped on the bandwagon then so did every other water fed pole supplier in the UK.

It wasn't about the other business that Tucker may or may not have had; it was about the fact that it was their system that was sold by a distributor in the UK.  If I am wrong about that then I stand corrected?

Peter Fogwill

Tucker in the USA were still using purified water to clean windows with a pole, how it was purified, or how many stages, is irrelevant.

Peter Fogwill

Posted by The_Fed_Man (The_Fed_Man), 20 November 2003
I think the thing that has made the Waterfed pole popular today is the Health & Safety regulations regarding ladders.  The regs have been around for a while on H&S publication GS25 but the thing that changed in the late nineties was that the building manager has been made responsible for the safety of the worker and as such can be sued.  Thus the Waterfed pole became a viable alternative.

This is how I got into it, we started to have problems with building managers.  We first saw the OTT poles in Window Talk in 97, thought they wouldn't work and had no reason to take it any further.
on 11/20/03 at 16:37:51, Polepro wrote:
What is relevant is that until 1997 waterfed poles were unsuccessful, a pole and DI tank on a golf trolley was not the solution that made the combination of waterfed poles and pure water the success it is today. Peter argued that Tuckers other business was water treatment and that is not the case, its real estate.

Tom

What I said was and I quote

" Tucker in the USA is a water treatment company, they were purifying water long before they realised that it was a good way to clean window.  Craig was an agent for the Tucker pole system in the UK "

What part of the above statement do you have a problem with?

What I argued, in defence of being accused of jumping on the bandwagon, was the fact that OTT werent the first company to sell water fed poles.

It seems that water treatment is a part of Tuckers business; they sell a means of purifying water? and they sold a pole to get water up to the window? It seems to me that they are and were a water fed pole company? and they treat water?  They may have half a dozen other businesses; I don't see what that has got to do with anything.

Peter Fogwill

on 11/20/03 at 16:37:51, Polepro wrote:
What is relevant is that until 1997 waterfed poles were unsuccessful, a pole and DI tank on a golf trolley was not the solution that made the combination of waterfed poles and pure water the success it is today.

Tom

Most water fed pole users in the USA have home made set-ups, some consisting of a trolley and DI tank; try telling them it is not a success.

Peter Fogwill

Posted by paul (paul), 28 November 2003
I DONT THINK IT MATTERS WHOS WRONG OR RIGHT ON THIS ISSUE AS LONG AS IT WORKS FOR US
Posted by sean_rimmer (Dom Matrix), 18 December 2003
Why is everyone getting their knickers in a twist over the phrase "water treatment company"
To put the record straight, here we go; A traditional water treatment company (which is what a lot of the suppliers of pole fed systems would like to call themselves) is a company of qualified graduate chemists (or higher) who specify water treatment programmes for process water application, invariably in an industrial environment. This involves the supply of 100's of chemical products which are usually used in conjunction with PRE-TREATMENT PLANT eg. water softeners, Reverse Osmosis systems etc. If you supply plant only (ie. non chemical water conditioning equipment..and please dont say salt counts..softeners) you are a PRE TREATMENT PLANT COMPANY, not a water treatment company. To the best of my knowledge, the only water treatment company in the marketplace is BRODEX LTD, a speciality water treatment company. So if you want the low down, what used to be liberally refered to as the "Truth" about pure water, why not talk to them, they have actually got water treatment chemists working for them...
DOM    
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 18 December 2003
I treat my water with a large measure of whiskey.

Gerry.
Posted by sean_rimmer (Dom Matrix aka BRODEX), 23 December 2003
Having met with Mr Alan Mathews of Tucker recently, at a NFMWGC meeting, he displayed chemical knowledge that was beyond the comprehension of everybody else at the meeting; I could tell from the blank looks around the table when he mentioned certain "industry norm" chemicals. I dont know if this helps anyone in the above discussion, just an observation.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.