Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Urine Stain

Posted by endresult (endresult), 27 February 2004
Customer has just complained about the reappearance of dog urine stain that was cleaned 9 days ago, is this likely to happen or has the puppy been back to the same place and redeposited so to speak. Any advice would be appreciated......
Thanks once again in advance
Davy
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 27 February 2004
Stain not likely to re-appear unless it has bleached the carpet. ( May not be visible whilst the carpet is damp )
But we suspect the carpet never took 9 days to dry Shocked
Most likely to be dog re-marking its territory.........but i would spot mark for free if a good customer. Cool
Do a ph test and charge for call if they are chancers Roll Eyes
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 27 February 2004
I agree with Chris but I would also dry the area quickly by using a hair dryer.

Len

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 27 February 2004
Hi

The original urine has probably penetrated through to the backing and maybe even beyond...

Probably a retreatment by the dog

Cheers
Derek
Posted by Petersullivan (Petersullivan), 27 February 2004
Pet urine has an unfortunate habit of re appearing, because it penetrates to the backing, if the stain has been present for a while it will have bleached the carpet, when wet you may think it has gone. also the dog will smell its own sent through our cleaning methods and resoil the area.
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 27 February 2004
Davy

Sorry to be devils advocate what did you promise? There are many factors in dealing with your problem, were you called out the first time it happed, not two weeks later!

The only remedy for pets is proper training by the owner or shot it (but that wont go down well with the customer)

Len

Posted by Petersullivan (Petersullivan), 27 February 2004
Sorry len i think your sense of humor is misplaced on a serious issue , as many new carpet technicians need good advice , i thought that this forum was designed to do that,,,,,,,,, maybe i was wrong.
Posted by endresult (endresult), 27 February 2004
Thanks for the replys lads.
what you say more or less confirms what I was thinking .
Len....... I promised nothing.... I did tell the customer that I would treat the stain but could not guarantee results. I treated the stain with extracta`s U.S.N, rinsed pre sprayed carpet with solutions no 2 and extracted as usual....some people are never satisfied!!!!!!!!!!.If it is the dog revisiting the scene of the crime this job could go on and on.      
thanks again.
Davy
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 28 February 2004
Peter

This is a serious issue but surely a bit of light-hearted banter is good for the soul  Grin

You are correct this is a deep seated problem which to do the job properly would entail dealing with the carpet, back and surface....replacing underlay and dealing with the subfloor.

When all this has been achieved ...training the dog wouldn't go amiss.... I would draw the line at shooting though  Wink Grin

Cheers
Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.