Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Construction Industry Scheme

Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 18 November 2003
Hi all, i have done  various builders cleans and have been asked to do a new shopping complex but have been asked by the builders about having a csi certificate.
If anybody has one of these i would appreciate your advice how long to get one?what tests did you have to do etc etc.I am aware that having one of these the builing firm does the deductions on the price tax and insurance.

thankyou
Posted by jake (jake), 18 November 2003
Steve

You just have to go down to your local Inland Revenue (sorry to swear!) office and ask for an application form. The card you need is called a CIS 4 and it is easily obtainable, you just need to be self employed. I got mine a year ago, and it took about 3 weeks to come through! When you get it, make a few photo copies to hand in to the firms you will work for, although they like to see the original first, you are then deducted tax @ 18%, good luck!

Jake    Smiley
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 18 November 2003
hi jake thanks for the reply........while waiting for the card can you still do the work or can you get around it another way?

Posted by jake (jake), 20 November 2003
Steve

As far as I know, legally a construction firm could only pay you if you have the CIS card, maybe you could invoice after you recieve it? dont know if thats legal though  Huh

Jake
Posted by easycleanwindows (easycleanwindows), 20 November 2003
Thanks for your replies been informed you only need a cis card if you do builders cleans on the inside
Posted by jake (jake), 20 November 2003
Steve

If you work self-employed and clean for any construction firm, be it inside or out, you'll need the card! Only if you were offering a domestic service i.e cleaning site toilets etc, could you be exempt. Hope this helps.

Jake
Posted by paul (paul), 23 November 2003
I ALSO HAVE A CIS  CARD AND THEY ARE EASY TO GET FROM YOUR LOCAL INLAND REVENUE BUT YOU WILL NEED THEM FOR ANY WORK YOU DO ON A BUILDING SITE AS YOU CANT GET PAID WITHOUT ONE AND THE BUILDING CONTRACTORS WILL ASK IF YOU HAVE ONE FIRST
Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 1 December 2003
Hi
I have just done some work for a construction company and they asked me for this card told them I did not really want to get involved with all that so he told me to ring Inland avenue to get a letter to make me none applicable so I did and they told me I did not need CIS for window cleaning, as long as you are not cleaning a window as they are putting it in it is not part of construction another bit they told me it is different if I was doing full cleans to buildings but N/A to window cleaning.
Did not like the idea of being deducted 18%. And never been asked for it before in the last 16 years I have been in the game.
Worth looking into.
Alan

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.