Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Tank problem

Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 4 February 2004
Got a new tank 2day Smiley
1 problem Undecided  The fill hole in top is 1.2- 2 inches in diameter and i can't get my hand in to fit a normal side float valve can any 1 help please

http://i24.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/2e/a5/f7_1.JPG

am thinking about using the level indecator
Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 4 February 2004
What is the float valve for? Is it for stopping the filling process when tank is full?
Posted by peterf (peterf), 4 February 2004
on 02/04/04 at 16:49:03, allseasons wrote:
Got a new tank 2day Smiley
1 problem Undecided  The fill hole in top is 1.2- 2 inches in diameter and i can't get my hand in to fit a normal side float valve can any 1 help please

You are not going to be able to get a float inside the tank, even if you do get your hand in.  Looks like you will just have to use the indicator on the side, but you will more than likely flood a couple of times.

You could link it up to another tank the same height, and fit the float valve in the other tank, the water will stop and start a lot as the water levels out.

You could maybe set up a small feeder tank above the tank you have and have the float valve in the feeder tank.  

Peter

on 02/04/04 at 17:02:04, stevekennedy wrote:
What is the float valve for? Is it for stopping the filling process when tank is full?

Yes stopping the in flow
on 02/04/04 at 17:42:49, peterf wrote:
You are not going to be able to get a float inside the tank, even if you do get your hand in.  Looks like you will just have to use the indicator on the side, but you will more than likely flood a couple of times.

You could link it up to another tank the same height, and fit the float valve in the other tank, the water will stop and start a lot as the water levels out.

You could maybe set up a small feeder tank above the tank you have and have the float valve in the feeder tank.  

Peter

How about if i cut a hole in the top fit this http://www.diy.com/images/products/image_x/0039961747747_lc1_1_x.jpg  
to the side and silicon it back together again would that work peter?

Posted by stevekennedy (stevekennedy), 4 February 2004
Maybe this is too simplistic, but you could fit a bypass hose at the top of the tank and have it running to the outside of the van. Ok, it will overflow, but it will not flood your van.

If you can time your fill then shouldn't be a big problem.

I've got one on my tank in case the float valve fails.

SteveK
Posted by peterf (peterf), 4 February 2004
on 02/04/04 at 18:02:38, allseasons wrote:
How about if i cut a hole in the top fit this http://www.diy.com/images/products/image_x/0039961747747_lc1_1_x.jpg  
to the side and silicon it back together again would that work peter?

Yes it would work, but it is a pity you have to cut into your tank. you can get some smaller valves than the one in the picture.  If you are cutting into the tank then it would be better to cut into the top, and as small a hole as possible.  You would maybe be better getting a piece of plastic a bit larger than the hole and screwing it on with some self tapers, you could use some silicon as well.

The valve in the picture looks as though it won't let you fill the tank right up, you may want to look at a different type.

Peter
Posted by Old_Master (Old_Master), 4 February 2004
You can easily fit an electronic cut out switch to the tank.

Posted by APS_PureWash_Sys (APS_PureWash_Sys), 4 February 2004
Yes Hozelock do a meter type thing that will turn off after so many gallons have gone through it. But you must set it to the right amount or you will have water every were Cool
cheers Andy

PS trying to cut corners will get you nowhere apart from frustrated!!
Posted by allseasons (allseasons), 5 February 2004
on 02/04/04 at 23:15:13, APS_PureWash_Sys wrote:
Yes Hozelock do a meter type thing that will turn off after so many gallons have gone through it. But you must set it to the right amount or you will have water every were Cool
cheers Andy

PS trying to cut corners will get you nowhere apart from frustrated!!

am not trying to cut corners trust me am trying to do it the right way, just didnt think that i would have a problem like this!!!!

Any idea where i might be able to buy this Hozelock meter type thing ?

thanks for your help every1

on 02/04/04 at 22:42:06, Old_Master wrote:

yeah that would only work if i was using a pump on my fillter, and am not .

If there is one the will cut the water off any idea where i can get 1?
Posted by APS_PureWash_Sys (APS_PureWash_Sys), 5 February 2004
sorry my mistake!!

it was not a meter type thing from hozelock

it was a timer type thing from hozelock

around £30 from B & Q
Thanks again for your help i think i have sorted it out  Grin
Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 5 February 2004
on 02/04/04 at 22:42:06, Old_Master wrote:

You can get a float switch that closes when the water reaches a certain level.  If you connect this to an electrically operated valve it could be used to stop the flow when the tank is full.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/products/module.asp?CartID=040205170046819&moduleno=12167

Or if you are filling using a pump rather than just water pressure, this could be used to in a very simple circuit to control the pump.  I can do you a circuit diagram if you would like.

Silly
Posted by APS_PureWash_Sys (APS_PureWash_Sys), 5 February 2004
Hay up silly
are you starting as a newbie again or have we got two silly's it's bad enough with one!!!!! Wink
Thanks for all your help folks, I have sorted out my problem  Smiley
Posted by Silly_Philly (Silly Philly), 5 February 2004
There's only one Silly,  and it's me!  (One is all you need)

Yes I thought I'd re-live newbiehood, it being nearly spring and all.

Seriously though, I had to delete my old profile and create a new one.  I kept my "silly" name as it would be confusing if I hadn't.  Also I am, of course, ever so silly, so it suits me.

The one and only silly

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.