Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Fabric Protection

Posted by Eric (Eric), 23 February 2004
Hi Guys,

I just had a conversation with a friend who owns two carpet shops; I asked if he supplies Fabric Protection after his crews fit carpets, he said no but would be interested in the selling side while I carried out the protection.

What are problems associated with Fabric Protection.

Regards,

Eric

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 23 February 2004
Hi Eric

Stick with solvent based fabric protectors.

Many of the water based protectors may affect pH sensitive fabric dyes

Cheers
Derek
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 23 February 2004
Eric,

Are you referring to carpet protection?  Derek has just responded to "fabric protection" Your post is a bit ambiguous.

Nigel
Posted by Eric (Eric), 23 February 2004
Hi Nigel,

Yes sorry, I am referring to carpet protection?

Regards,

Eric
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 23 February 2004
Hi Eric,

If you use a reputable protection product and apply it in accordance with the manufacturers instructions very little will go wrong when doing the job.

The biggest problem with carpet protection is dealing with the expectations of the client. Sometimes it is oversold as a miracle treatment and sometimes the client assumes it will be more capable than it is. In my experience it is best to be quite clear with the client what to expect.

In your set up you need to agree exactly how the carpet retailer will sell the service and also if you will be responsible for dealing with problem stains.

Good luck

Nigel
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 23 February 2004
Hi Eric

The main problem is customer’s expectations.

I have a leaflet from a know brand “offer the most advanced protection against general soils & common household spills. The treatment may not prevent staining from hot drinks, some food dyes, acid, bleaches, solvents & some other chemical or pharmaceutical substances” this as I said from the leaflet it is not on container.

I inform my customer’s of the above it’s not a special miracle thing & it does in time wear out just like your shoes.

Nigel_W has valid points, especially on responsibility.

If there are products out there which covers all the mishaps please let me know.

Good luck with you new venture.

Len

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.