Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

cracked hands

Posted by recs (recs), 29 February 2004
Hi everyone
                after some advice when it comes to which hand cleaner is the best.I seem to be suffering with cracked hands and fingers recently.Is this just one of the perks of the game this time of year? it is my first winter.I bought a pair of those gloves in the summer but can't get on with them.I am also struggling to get my hands clean properly after a hard days work.I know it is a bit of a sissy question but would like to know what the pro's use. Cheers
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 29 February 2004
what cleaning solution are you using, i got terrible hands wheni used dish washing liquid. since switching to gg4 and glimmer i dont get any problems any more. sure the adverts said different, but then we do have our hands in it for 6 hours a day
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 29 February 2004
I find that you have to scrub the palms of your hands with a (soapy) nail brush to get them clean, it's a little bit painful, but it does work.

As for cracked hands, in my experience Neutragena hand cream is the best remedy.  A strip of it across each of your knuckles is all you need.  Its expensive, but it works v well and seems to last a long time.

Quote:
I know it is a bit of a sissy question but would like to know what the pro's use

Not at all, if you don't look after your hands, you wont be able to work, end of story.  And who wants to have chapped, cracked, sore hands? Not me. I couldnt care what anyone thinks, if something will help protect my hands, I'll use it.  There's nothing macho about not being able to bend your fingers.

Sometimes I get shards of aluminium (from the ladders) in my hands-its very important to get these out as soon as you get home.  They can easily get infected, and aluminium ingress can give you blood poisoning. (or so I read somewhere)

Philip
Posted by Nick_Purssey (Nick_Purssey), 29 February 2004
The best thing to prevent cracked hands is to use barrier cream like this one  
 http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?id=13390      
or go to a chemist, they should have some,(make sure it can be used for working in the wet)  
apply twice a day before you leave the house ( it lets it soak in ) and half way through the day On very cold days if you don’t get on with thick black gloves   try  
DISPOSABLE GLOVES  
http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=44540&id=11871

hope it helps Nick

Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 29 February 2004
Winkthe best I have found for hands,is nutrogena it cost about £3 50 but cures chapped hands very fast Wink
Posted by Slatercleaners (Slatercleaners), 29 February 2004
E45 seems to work well too. (but is a bit pricey)
Posted by Diamond_Vision (Jeff Brimble), 29 February 2004
For intensive treatment buy a tub of vaseline apply thickly and put on cheap cotton gloves before you go to bed to protect the sheets. Keep the gloves for reuse as the vaseline will build up inside them.
Posted by p_and_j_cleaning (p_and_j_cleaning), 29 February 2004
I suffer from dermittitus and use laytex gloves and E45 cream, this keeps my hands from cracking, gloves and E45 can be got at any chemist,hope this helps
    pete
Posted by SteveTruman (SteveTruman), 29 February 2004
Best stuff i have found is something called Badger. It does what it says on the tin..

Regards

Steve
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 1 March 2004
Steve,

Any chance of a link? Tried Google, but couldn't find it.
Posted by mark1 (mark1), 1 March 2004
cracked hands,go to the chemist ask for snow fire  Grin Grin

Posted by SteveTruman (SteveTruman), 1 March 2004
Wavie, our lass gets it from the chemist on high st.
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 1 March 2004
Quote:
our lass gets it from the chemist on high st

What a delightful expression.  Reminds me of visiting "up north" lad

Philip
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 1 March 2004
Hello again Steve,

Any details on the side of the tin? Maybe I could pass them on to our chemist and see if they could get some of this lovely Badger stuff.
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 1 March 2004
I honestly thought "badger" was a joke, a cure for ricketts or something?
Found 1 link:-
http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod.asp?pid=74275&catid=47737&trx=PLST-0-CAT&trxp1=47737&trxp2=74275&trxp3=1&trxp4=0&btrx=BUY-PLST-0-CAT
Posted by doppler2k (Paul@FreshView), 1 March 2004
Since Christmas Ive been using the wife's Peppermint & pummice foot scrub to clean up my hands after a days work.

Works wonders and leaves me all minty fresh  Smiley

Vaseline Intensive Care seems to work well for keeping my hands in fairly good nick, just need to remember to apply it regularly as the day goes by.
Posted by Polepro (Polepro), 2 March 2004
Try to develop techniques that keep your hands dry when working, barrier cream can tend to wash off otherwise. The problem strems from a combination of the use of detergents that wash away natural oils in the skin and exposure to cold weather. I found that washing my scrim by hand each night followed by the application of E45 kept my hands both clean and soft (for the ladies) and free from skin problems (also appreciated by the ladies).

I knew a window cleaner whose hands got so bad he could not work. God helps those who help themselves!

regards
Tom
Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 2 March 2004
try to keep your hands out of the water as much as possible and like someone said develope ways of keeping them dry.
in 15 years i have never suffered with this problem
when you get to a job get your tools out of WATER
& KEEP THEM OUT just dip your applicator in the water when required.i used to work with someone who forever had his hands in the bucket & he suffered very badly with cracked hands
Posted by SteveTruman (SteveTruman), 2 March 2004
Wavie, that link is ok, thats the stuff. On the tin it says Paul Bunyon once said " Give me enough Badger, and i can heal the cracks in the Grand Canyon "  Shocked Shocked . The Chemist was Moss . A link i found is http://www.badgerbalm.com/i_stores.html

Regards

Steve
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 2 March 2004
Steve,  you're wunnerful!

In the link of UK stockists is Jenners, and Jenners' main store is in Edinburgh! I'll give them a call tomorrow - sorted.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.