Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Stains appearing from no where

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 29 January 2004
Huh Huh Huh

Cleaning a wool rug today black with cream design, no visible staining (no backing also no visible staining) done the usual tests, every thing ok, applied pre-spay (wool safe agent) left it to dwell, plain water extracted. Then I notice in certain area’s mainly around the corners a Greene brown and pinkie colure appearing together and in others just pinkie.

Any ideas?

Len

Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 29 January 2004
Only come across similar thing once before Shocked
Rug had been left on stone flooring whilst the housekeeper had mopped floor........hence the edges and corners had weak colours due to ammonia/bleach in floor cleaning product Roll Eyes You cannot check whole rug for test but check PH on the bad areas and check the placement of the rug for what may have been used to clean around it. Laminte may mean soapy edges, Stone may mean bleached edges and white carpet may mean
that it has not been moved when carpet was cleaned at some time Huh
Posted by rob_s (rob_s), 30 January 2004
Hi
 Pink, read dereks reply on stainguard subject,wool chemical may dry on the acid side.

rob-s.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 30 January 2004
Hi Len

I have not come across this problem and I have to bow to Chris's previous experiences somewhat.

Check the pH of the Woolsafe product that you used, I think you may find it slightly alkaline... it may be worth a try and use the alternate pH on the acid side to see if it will reverse.... no promises.

In this trade the accepted 'neutral' for pH levels is 5.5 to 8.4

The BSI test 'ranges' I saw used were 5.5 to 8.4

However when the BSI tests are carried out they are precise... and neutral is 7  (not 6.9 or 7.1)

What this said to me was that if we extend the pH ranges beyond that of the BSI test ranges then we are in a 'risk' area.

Derek

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 30 January 2004
Grin

Hi Thanks for input, a friend non cc put in contact with he’s farther who works for a chemical co, never heard of them, trying a new product to me tonight 1st results on a test area impressive, product not sold in Jan shops, will definitely keep you advised on out come.

He advised that it has been test by all the relevant soft furnishing bodies and has the seal of approval.

Len

Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 31 January 2004
Sounds like a worthwhile product to have on the van for a rainy day, so let us all in on the secret ASAP Cool
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 31 January 2004
Smiley
Hi Chris

Tests are going well but saying that the pinking still remains. I will certainly keep all informed. I have a feeling that it urine which I can’t smell! The customer is adamant nothing is towards? But I have my reservations probably see them in court.

Sorry to be personal what part Surrey (big county as is Kent/London) do you cover as I’m some times ask to go to your neck of the woods, and have to bale out, which I don’t like! I don’t have any contact Surrey even that it local to me (kent)

Len

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.