Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Joe Polish, Your Opinion?

Posted by harvey (harvey), 6 November 2003
Having not started my Carpet Cleaning business yet, but having been self employed and run my own business for many years i realise the importance of of marketing your products or services!

I have what i would consider to be a pretty decent ongoing and cost effective marketing plan in mind but also realise that practice makes perfect and i have never marketed a Carpet Cleaning business so........ What do you all know or think about Joe Polish and his Markeeting plans?, i understand they are quite expensive but surely,s a £1000 or so in the scheme of things would be money well spent if i could achieve only a small percentage of what it says it can!
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 7 November 2003
if you can afford £4000 COULD BE BRST INVESTMENT YOU MADE.

health warning investments can go up and down.

Check Satisfation Clause.

I would even consider taking legal advise before entering into contract.

Find out if there is a break clause

However I would talk to the company you purchase your machine from see if they give marketing help

Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 7 November 2003
Tongue Tongue

i would stay away from Mr Polish

Very negitive ad styles

Like WARNING TEN DEADLY SECRETS BEFORE YOU HIRE A CARPET CLEANER and all that rubbish

Just buy a few Dan kennedy marketing books and save your money. thats all Polish is anyway.

stay away far away

IVAR
Posted by woodman (woodman), 7 November 2003

My Opinion is I don't like it,  but it definitely works for a lot of people but it has become two a penny now.

every other ad in the YP is in the JP format what distinquishes one from another I don't know.

I even see vans driving around now with the Full Ad plastered on the side's it looks ridiculous.

Maybe some uses of the programme could give us their opinions and if it's working well for them, certainly be interested to know.

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 7 November 2003
IF IT AINT BROKE WHY FIX ITHuh

Yes there are a lot of vans driving round with the ad on, and you will see in the y/p also.

But, if it didnt work people wouldnt use it.

I havent got the Joe Polish pack but i have aqquired some of the material and ideas from various duscussion boards etc.

I also have a handful of his tapes which i did buy  Grin Grin

And I found them to be extremely useful.

Like Ivar said buy the Dan Kennedy stuff  www.dankenedy.com   or type in Dan Kennedy at amazon.co.uk  most of Joes ideas come from him, and the rest from other cleaners.

Aadpt it to suit your own liking.

Look at other stuff as well,

Howard Partridge, Ron meyers pack is also very affordable. He is offering a monthly payment scheme at the moment.
Squid maybe!!  I have the discs but not overly impressed.

Brc Systems is an excellent package if you want to run your business professionally and eventually employ people.

Ta

Mark

Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 7 November 2003
Contact Alltec for JP info. Just to give my view on a couple of opinions. The almost full advert on the van,
(I was sceptical at first when it went on mine) works, I have got more business just from this, than Ive ever had off any other van sign writing. The mass YP adverts give those businesses a corporate image and this give the potential client some confidence.
Dave.
Posted by timjwright (timjwright), 7 November 2003
I've posted on this before on Cleantalk and some of you have added your views but my position is still this:

How can all the FastTracker's say 'The best ever cleaning or its free'?  All but one of them must be wrong !  I know that it works for a lot of people.......BUT........its not for me as I think it is a dishonest and misleading message.  

Also, all carpet cleaners want to make a decent living but the whole focus on making money, buying your first Porsche, making more than a Bank Manager etc will backfire eventually.

I also know of one FastTracker who uses soap powder in his machine and send his lads out with zero training.  A bad apple I'm sure but a bit ironic isn't it?

Having said that, there is more to JP than the slogan and I'm sure a lot of the strategies do work.

Read the marketing material others have mentioned and tailor it to suit yourself and to something that you're comfortable with.

Posted by Fintan_Coll (Fintan_Coll), 7 November 2003
You must learn marketing somewhere, and Joe Polish is one of the best teachers of marketing that I have found.
Fintan
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 7 November 2003
Ok,,,

How about "The Most Thorough Cleaning Available or its FREE!!!

Mark
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 8 November 2003
Hi Guys

I am probably changing the subject slightly here....sorry

It all comes back to areas .... there are 'reasons' why I would NEVER offer a money back guarantee.

I KNOW that I will get a lot of calls...price will not come into it...as the potential client will have no intention of paying....
One manufactured complaint and you are committed to 'doing it for free'.
I am in business to do a good job and get paid a realistic price for the job!
I am not a charity.

As you can probably gather I do not have that much faith peoples ethics today.... and I don't think I am wrong

Derek
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 8 November 2003
The most thorough clean youve ever seen - OR ITS FREE
This slogan in my opinion is directed at the client you are doing the work for. You are guaranteeing that after you have finished the job, they have have had the most thorough clean that THEY have ever had performed or SEEN by another operator. If they dont agree that this is the case, you offer to re-clean the UNHAPPY areas, if still not in agreement - you dont charge for that item, - simple as that. Now whats wrong with that, and how can that be dishonest - its the opposite, its the most honest guarantee you could give, providing of course you stick to the deal.
You may get the odd free loader, but I dont worry about that, Ive not had one in the two years Ive been offering the guarantee. The reason for this is obvious - if they have had a job done thats as good as what I do (without being big headed) they wouldnt be looking for anyone else, they would stick the operator that carried out that job. They wouldnt be looking out for someone else
Dave.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 8 November 2003
How about  this for a gaurantee!

" the best clean you've ever seen or double your dirt back"  Grin

Headlines are very important in a yellw pages ad but I often find people look throught the Y/P and chose the person who lives nearest them Roll Eyes

Also, remember we see the "best clean ever............." headline all the time so get a bit sick of it, but a customer will often only see it once so will be impressed

Mike
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 8 November 2003
Im thinking of changing mine next year, undecided beetween:-

" The most thorough clean, theres ever been."
" The most thorough clean, there will ever be."
" The most thorough clean, you could imagine!"
" The most thorough clean, HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh??

Any other suggestions?

Dave.
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 8 November 2003
How about:-

" The most thorough clean, even better than the Joe Polish Non-Believers"
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 8 November 2003
I've always liked

"do you want your carpets cleaner, or clean"

" your carpets, cleaned, deoderised, stain-protected and dry in 30mins Gauranteed!" I was thinking of useing this one next year Wink

Mike
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 8 November 2003
"Next Year"

Only 7 weeks away !!

Scarey init  Huh Huh Huh
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 9 November 2003
Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue

I kind of like my

NO MONEY BACK GUARANTEE

IF YOU ARE NOT HAPPY WITH OUR SERVICE OR PRODUCT PLEASE

GET A FEW FRIENDS TOGETHER AND SETTLE IT YOURSELF!!!!!
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 9 November 2003
Good One

hahhaha
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 9 November 2003
Just like the one you offer Mark!!

Grin Grin Grin
No,

The guarantee i offer is if ure not happy we return and reclean again.

If youre still not happy I send my ex wife round to sort you out and bleed ya dry haha
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 9 November 2003
"But Mark" says the Mrs Client " I am not happy now that you have atempted to clean my carpet again, it is not as clean as it was when I had a Mike Halliday clean it, what are you going to do about it ??"
Then i would apologise profusely and then refund her money.

However before the job was undertaken and DURING the carpet audit I would pre qualify all stains etc etc and let the customer know what would and what would "maybe" not come out.

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 9 November 2003
I gather from your last post Mike that you must be investing in 21st century technology and buying the Dry Fusion System Wink
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 9 November 2003
No Ken I'm going to buy a chemical called catalyst from craftex  this chemical cleans deoderises and stain protect in one easy process and its dry in 30mins!!!

It sounds brilliant I don't know why no ones thought of it before Grin Grin

I have already used a variation of this headline in a local paper, it worked well.

this is returning this topic to is original  topic when Harvey asked about the Joe polish marketing, if you look around you'll see all the marketing you'll ever need. I saw this headline used by dry fusion so adapted and used it myself. This as all Joe does, sees good marketing ideas and changes them to suit carpet cleaning

mike
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 11 November 2003
This 30 min dry claim sounds good. do you need a truck mount to achieve it.

On Marketing, I bet we are all using ideas based around Joe, Dan Kenedy Partridge, Richard Deny, Tom Hopkins, Brian Tracey, Mike Le Plant, Tom Fenton, Dale Cargnie,

Those American Insurance Salesmen ofthe Forties and Fifties,  David Wilkes, Gurrillia Marketing, How to Out Sell the Comp.  Prochem SaLES tRAINING Ashbys Marketing and Motivation Day. Cleantalk Marketing Tips when Mark and Mick are in a creative mood Everest Anglian Kirby sales training courses Uncle Tom Cobly and all.

Regards

Ian

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.