Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

BIGGEST MISTAKE

Posted by shinnyshinner (shinnyshinner), 30 October 2003
I was talking to a friend today about window cleaning and all you hear is what new jobs we got, how well we are doing etc etc but never hear the bad things as we don’t like to think of them.
Face it no ones perfect.
What is, or one of the worst things that has ever happened to you in your business.
I'll start with one.

MANY YEARS AGO A customer of mine had a new conservatory built and wanted the window above cleaned.
You guessed it I put a ladder on top of a plastic roof to clean window and when I finished pulled the ladder off and this new roof was scratched to hell.
Ooooooohhhhhh Noooooooo.

So come on what’s yrs.

Cheers
Alan

Posted by Majestic (Majestic), 30 October 2003
My biggest mistake was when I first started up pricing  jobs to low just to get them Sad , there is plenty of work out there so price it high if you dont get it never mind you did not have it in the first place so you have not lost anything , but if you get it ok  Cool
Posted by Bones (Bones the Winda Kleena), 30 October 2003
Mmmmmm, let me think?? no not yet, ha ha, but i ain't been going as long as you guy's, to me everything seems hunky dorey, but who knows whats waiting out there tomoro?? Huh

I will soon post on this topic as soon as i've made a boo-boo Shocked
Posted by samm (samm), 4 November 2003
I pulled in quote 3 new jobs, it was an estate at a T-juction I pulled in then went to quickly reverse to turn round and smashed into a vectra that had pulled in behind me, bit embarrasing as I arranged to meet the customers so they were all in and come out to see what the crash is, they just took the piss though.

good news though I picked him up as a customer as a result of my crash, he was a mechanic and agreed for money for bits and some money for fitting, so far I,ve had £70 for his gutters + frames and £9 a month windows, just little bit longer to get my £325 back off him Angry

I would'nt recommend crashing into people to gain more custom though Grin

Posted by Rick (Rick), 4 November 2003
when i first started cleaning windows on my own, i didn't have any public liability insurance for the first 2 weeks. i thought i'd get around to getting the insurance pretty soon, when i had some money (as i didn't have any money to buy insurance with, cause i'd just bought the round and equipment and stuff)

part of my round was bungulows, and i didn't have an A-frame. so i just used the front section of my ladder. i rested it against a gutter, there was a sudden gust of wind, and the ladder fell against a brand new car. i ended up footing the bill of £500 (in my first week of being self employed). sods law. absolute sods law. i'm paying for insurance from that point on. i've never had any sort of accident since. sods law
Posted by Mike_Boxall (Mike_Boxall), 4 November 2003
Don't worry guys, there are only 2 types of cleaners - those that have had accidents and those that are going to have accidents. Happens to everyone at some point Undecided
Posted by simonb (simonb), 4 November 2003
speak for yourself mate.
I don't take risks so...
5 years no accidents
Posted by Rick (Rick), 4 November 2003
you don't take risks? so you don't climb a ladder then?
Posted by g_griffin (g_griffin), 6 November 2003
Simon b,  pride comes before..............Hope you never have an accident but don`t count your chickens. Have you never worked in the wind or dropped a squeegee? Gerry.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.