Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

Advice needed

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 28 January 2004
Well first day today doin windas haha

Just a few to do.

I have one question.

On first floor windows some of them are quite tall.

Positioning the ladders just under the sill I cant reach the top of the window with out standing on say the last 2 or 3 rungs.  and i dont feel saf doing this.

Do u position the top of the ladder above the window and clean under neath the ladder so to speak or, position the ladder to the left or the right and lean over. Problem with this is i cannot reach the whol window so end up doing half then coming down and re positioning.

Prob sounds a stupid question but its been buggin me all day.

Thanks

Mark

Posted by T_W_CONTRACTS (T_W_CONTRACTS), 28 January 2004
depends on what ladder you use: u could use a point and put it to the side or if you have usual type its much safer putting the ladder above the window. sometimes
its not possible to do this as all windows are different
in time & with experiance you will establish your own way of doing ladder work Wink
Posted by Rob_B (Rob_B), 28 January 2004
It is because of these windows that pointers/A frame ladders come in handy.

You can put the point into the top corner of the window, then you can still hold on to the ladder while cleaning the window.

If you angle your ladder right you can still be in front of the window.

If you put your ladders up the side of the window you will be staing at a brick wall. If you lean, obviously you have the chance of falling off.
Posted by mickeyfat (mickeyfat), 28 January 2004
if you have a normal ladder the safest is to do it on two...(left then right...and dont lean to much..not worth it m8
but i  must admit i put the ladder above and do it from behind the ladder
Posted by denzle (Denzle), 28 January 2004
Mark,
If you are using normal ladders, invest in a ladder standoff ( About £25 ) With these you will be able to place the standoff under the sill while the top of the ladder is about 10" above the sill and therefore giving you a handhold on the top rung.
Also using a standoff is a lot safer as there is more metal touching the wall and your ladder is less likely to move. I wouldn't be without mine they are a real life saver.
Denzle
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 28 January 2004
Thanbks for the advice.

The ladder stand off. i have seen these they have one in Wickes, i thought they just attatched to the top rung of the ladder, but obviously they must be able to attatch a few rungs down.

Good idea Denzle

Cheers

Mark

Posted by denzle (Denzle), 28 January 2004
Mark,
You can attach them to whichever rung you want to, a standoof is also very useful when you need to place a ladder above porch roofs and the like. You can maintain a safe and secure ladder angle and still get over the obstruction.
Denzle

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.