Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

scotchguard

Posted by paul@ctcs (paul@ctcs), 18 November 2003
Evening fellas,just a quick question about scotchguard,is it worth treating cleaned carpets with it?how is it applied? where can i buy it??and any thing else worth knowing.

Many thanks

Paul
Posted by Musicman (Musicman), 18 November 2003
Hi Paul, see the topic 'Scotchguard' started on 18th August. There's quite a bit of info there.

Regards

Musicman
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 19 November 2003
Hi Guys

There is not currently a 'Scotchgard' brand carpet protector made for the UK market although one is being formulated for the future.

There is, however, an American branded Scotchgard carpet and upholstery protector being shipped in by Spurgeons in Crawley.
This is designed for the American market where the carpets are mostly Nylon and Polypropylene.

I have had recent reports of adverse results on some carpets and I, personally, wouldn't use it on upholstery as a lot of the fabrics in the UK do not suit water based protectors.

Derek
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 19 November 2003
Are you saying that because of fast dyes on upholstery or just a safe option to use solvent base protector.

Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 19 November 2003
I use an alternative at the moment, Chemspec Stainshield.
I have done some of my own tests with this as I dont like selling a product I dont feel comfortable with. Water will bead on newish wool twist pile carpet, that is good enough for me to say to a customer that it works to this degree, but like all protectors not invincible.
I am now pushing more now as there is extra money to be made, and why not Grin
John
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 20 November 2003
Hi Michael

Many of the water based fabric protectors are acidic which you would have thought was a good sign as far as colour stability is concerned...however... some dyes are acid sensitive and change colour.

Carpet protector (US Scotchgard brand).... I have had a couple of comments about stickiness and colour change when using the US product which as I stated in a previous post is designed for the US market, so I intend to wait until 3M release their UK product

Derek
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 20 November 2003
SmileyHi Derek
Lucky you told me at the A&m stain course about Acid sensitive dyes on fabric, but it still can catch you out. I allways pre test colour etc ,
but now started a acid test with fabric rinse.but the lady had a protector apllied from new which most have been solvent based.
but the three areas that had slight dye run (pink) ,i did not see until i removed the soil .later on the lady said their had been three or four drink spills in the past.
which are acid.

mick
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 21 November 2003
Hi Michael

The drinks your customer spilt themselves will, more than likely, have been acidic and this would have been sufficient to cause the change to pink.

Sadly sometimes the test done in a matter of minutes may not be sufficient time for the reaction to take place...make sure the fabric test area has completely dried.

Regards
Derek

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.