Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Flats

Posted by Christal_Clean (Bryan H), 18 February 2004
Probably a daft question,  but does anyone charge extra for flats depending on which floor they happen to be.  Assuming no lift.

I had heard of cleaners charging £1 extra for each step, this seemed excessive, but having done I few flats recently, I started to take it seriously.

It normally takes me three trips to get the gear in, & four to take it out.  I carry the hoses down on their own to wind up outside.
That is a total of 12 times up or down each step.  If there are 40 steps that is a total of 480 steps up or down carrying gear.

Makes £1 a step seem dirt cheap.   £40 of course, not £480
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 18 February 2004
Smiley
Bryan H

I some times do blocks of flats I check with the customer do you have lifts? Do they work? If the answers are both no! I walk away, the way I see it if I hurt myself and are of work will the customer pay me sick pay, I doubt it.

Then you have large houses converted in to flats question to customer will some be there to assist me in carrying up the machine. No I walk away same reason as above.

As for charging extra if you are willing to do the job why not, how much is up to you.

Len

Posted by Petersullivan (Petersullivan), 18 February 2004
I contract to a west london company and work on my own , many flats and many stairs, i think that the question is are you busy enough to turn work down and do you risk personal injury. just been of for four weeks with a slip disc no stairs involved just the door step? Undecided
Smiley
P.Sullivan

But whose door step? Accidents do happen but as you say you are contract to a company many flats etc you know the risk to yourself that is your decision, but the way I read the post it’s more or less one off cleans.

Len

Posted by Petersullivan (Petersullivan), 18 February 2004
hi len yes i know the risks, and most are one of cleans, but on a yearly basis. sooner not drag my machine up four flights of stairs but i have to eat Cry
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 18 February 2004
As far as flats go I charge what the job  is worth , If I do not get the job let someone else do it cheaper, obviously it would be different if I was using a portable but even using a truckmount can have its problems when cleaning flats.

Mark Undecided
Smiley
Peter

Yes I agree one has to eat, what did you eat for the four weeks you were off work with a sipped disks? I can’t comment on your price you are charging, but if I were doing a contact I always evaluate all sites and charge accordingly, one person or two and some times three.

Len

Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 18 February 2004
I quite often come across this type of dwelling and I do substancially increase my prices to suit. The way I see it is if they accept the high price then it makes the extra lugging worth while. I do not go above 3 storeys without a lift though. No money is worth that! Tongue

Paul
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 18 February 2004
I leave my machine on the ground floor, drop a rope from the balcony or suitable window, then haul up the hoses and leads. Do not work above third floor, but add £10 a floor to carry up the wand and dry vacuum.

John.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.