Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Cross American recoil 3

Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 27 January 2004
Does anyone use one of these machines?
Any info i.e. availability ,price,performance etc etc would be appreciated.

I have heard that they are amazing machines (portable yet can be left in the van)and will operate up to 200 foot of pipe !

cheers

Mark
Posted by woodman (woodman), 27 January 2004
Hi Squeaky

Funny you should bring this up now as I am researching this very machine at the moment.

A good friend of mine lives and works in the States as a Carpet Cleaner and absolutely swears that this machine is the best he has ever had (and he's had a few) including truck mounts.

This 'portable' machine can be run up to 200ft from your van and you can obtain 40 gallon tanks for the machine fitted to the van.It has built in boosters,power spray attachment and weighs about the same as any other machine.

It can be brought inside if need be and really is a real alternative to purchasing a TM.

I don't believe there is a UK distributor ,but I stand to be corrected on that, so it has to be imported direct from cross american at the moment.

Price why's in the US $2600 so you can probably double that for here as we get ripped off with every thing else don't see why it should change for this Roll Eyes

Further info is on the way Wink

I have just found the web site and the machines spec is excellent for a portable.
I need something to put in a smaller van as the tm can be a problem with access sometimes.
www.cross-american.com

Mark
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 27 January 2004
Just had a look at the web site, looks great, only problem I can see is the power rating 2 x 3 stage vacs at 11 A each + Booster system at 9 A = 30 A. thats without any thing else (like the power booster 10A, heater 8.5A) However this is at 110V so will be different with a proper voltage of 230V but could need three or four 13A sockets.
Posted by Nigel_W (Nigel_W), 27 January 2004
What would you like to know guys?

I have a Recoil sitting on my van and I have been using it for 2 months now. Anything you want to know - I will give you my honest opinion.

Nigel
Do you need 4 sockets to run it Grin

as Dave has raised a very good point although I should imagine the machine is adapted for the UK voltage.
Have you got the saddle tanks with it?
Is it as good as they claim?
Where or how did you get it ?
What was the cost and what extras have you got?

regards

Mark
Oh and what van is it in?

Mark
Woodman it uses 2 sockets and so far no trips.
I also use an additional socket for my heat exchanger.

Nigel
Mark,

Bear in mind that I am using it as a portable as I already have a Performer truck mount. So I am not using saddle tanks etc. I have a standard machine modified for the UK. I did order upgraded solution hose to cope with Higher temperatures from my heat exchanger.

I have not tested the machine to its full potential. The longest run I have done is 100 foot. The performance was good at this length. The combination of the 3 vacs set up and the 350psi pump produce awesome performance for an electric machine.

I bought mine in conjunction with Robert McKane at Cleaning Support Ltd.Tel: 01923 330034 Email: robertmckane@aol.com
Since seeing the machine Cleaning Support have signed up to become the sole distributor for the product in the UK.

Woodman (yes this is the same Rob at A & M).

I do not know what price they plan to sell the Recoil at.

Nigel

Nigel

How did you know I was going to ask that Grin

The heat exchanger is one of those you lower into the tank or is it fixed and can I get a looksie when it's convenient.

I'll meet you up at Rob's some time. Wink

Woodman,

I am using the Ashby's Steamate with the Recoil. Rob has an alternative 400 psi rated inline heat exchanger.

No problem meeting up for a demo. Let me know when you are ready.

Nigel
Thanks Nigel

I will contact you when I'm around to see if you are available.

I take it yours isn't the Recoil 3 or is it?

By the way is that the Prochem in line heater (i'm not keen on them).

It is the Recoil 3 - is there another one available at the moment?

Yes Rob's heat exchanger is a Prochem one. Why don't you like it?

Will wait to hear from you re getting together.

Nigel

Posted by Ed_Valentine (Ed Valentine), 5 February 2004
Nigel;

Many sincere Thanks for all your efforts on testing and telling it like it is.

I also appreciated speaking with you long distance. You certainly are a terrific professional and role model for this great industry of ours. Someday (very soon, btw) I do hope to see you seated next to me at one of those local Pubs and tip a few!!  Roll Eyes

The very best to all
Good Fortune;
Ed Valentine
cross-american corp.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.