Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

appointments and jobs

Posted by md_cleaning (md_cleaning), 7 January 2004
How many appointments do you generally get a week?
How many jobs from them?
More carpet or Upholstery?
As not been on my own long, I only get one sometimes two jobs per day, so some way to go yet.
Posted by paul_moss (paul_moss), 7 January 2004
Im finding it very slow at the moment too.
Just about to do some flyers.
Paul
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 7 January 2004
One job a day Monday to Friday, start 9.30am back home by 1.30pm and very happy with that.

Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 8 January 2004
In the summer months

two to three a day most carpet some upholstry

and always doing some kind of com work

Winter

Maybe one a day sometime more sometimes less.
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 8 January 2004
I do 2-3 jobs a day apart from at Xmas then I fit one more in.

this topic brings in a a very interesting sub-topic, your average job price.

John says he does 1 job a day but if his average job price is £125 the he will make more money that a carpet cleaner who only on average get £40 per job but does 3 jobs a day

if you want to earn more money its easier to try and raise your average job price than get an extra job

mike
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 8 January 2004
You got it in one Mike, why work your bollards off doing 3 jobs when you can earn the same money doing one??  

Suite and Through Lounge £185 or £275 with protector!!  What more do you want??
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 8 January 2004
John,

What do you do if someone wants a 12x12 room done.

Do you say job not big enough?

Regards

Ian
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 8 January 2004
Ian

As I always do,  vist the client to check the job out, sometime I walk away without giving a price if I do not think that I can do the job to MY satisfaction.

I price the job sell protector, then upsell to make the job worth getting out of bed for.

A 12 x 12 room is not worth starting the van!!

My minimum charge is £47.00, set your prices what YOU are worth, DO NOT try to compete withe the Slash and Dash crew after all the people who will pay for Good work doing laugh at Blodgit and Scarper!!
Posted by md_cleaning (md_cleaning), 8 January 2004
Yes, we have a very cheap outfit advertising in all the local ad-mags, it reads- Suites cleaned from £20
                                     Lounge carpets from £25
                                     Fast drying system 1 hr
                                     Approved Scotchgaurd applicator.

What the hel is approved scotchgaurd applicator?
I normally get a load of calls when the ad comes out but none this time, is this the time of year, or this cowboy/
         Dave.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 8 January 2004
Hi Dave

3M used to have a network of Licensed applicators (t/a Scotchcare Services)...at the prices your local guy is charging he won't be one of those!   I hope that answers your question?

I have a minimum charge of £48.00 within a given radius of home (approx 4-6 miles)...more if I travel any distance.

To clean a three piece suite and a through lounge (approx 30 sq yds) I  charge in excess of two hundred pounds...this doesn't include protection..

Derek
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 8 January 2004
Derek,

I some times find it hard to charge at the top end of the market as I'm just starting out, how do you get your customers and justify the price you charge.

Not to sure the above makes sense - Here goes:
If you and I had the same equipment and went to price a job for the same customer but I cheaper and the customer tells you this, would you walk away and tell them to go with me or would you explain why you charge that price.

Alex
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 8 January 2004
Alex , I'll just give my view on the this. Price has nothing to do with the equipment you use, how clean you make the suite or how good you are at suite cleaning .

because if you go to their home and give a qoute, at that time the customer  has'nt seen your equipment or how clean the suite will turn out.

The only thing that effects the price is the words that come out of your mouth, you can say £80 or you can Say £145.

So why can't some carpet cleaners ask for £145, ......fear of rejection, they believe the customer won't pay £145, so will reject the price and subsequently them.

you can tell them untill you're blue in the face that customers will pay £145 but they won't alter their price.

The only way they will alter their price is when the Pain & pleasure principle takes place.

Mike

Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 8 January 2004
Mike, I understand what you're saying and I totally agree, however, and again this is what you've said by rejection, I feel I can't aford to lose any customers so I'm going in at a price that is middle of the range and hopefully building up a customer base - I do think this may cause some other problems which is that of "you didn't charged Mrs whoever that much" but I can deal with that later.

I'm waiting on some leftlets being printed so my only form of advertising at present is the local rag and I'm up against the crappy carpet cleaners who will beat me hands down on price cause they are in and out. What do you feel I can do to pitch myself at the top end as I feel I do have a small amount of (but growing) knowledge and great equipment to other the customer a very good service.

Any advice would be welcome.

Cheers
Alex
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 9 January 2004
Hi Alex

Mike is right in principal ...it's not the equipment its YOU!

In the scenario you portrayed I would just talk to the customer, answer questions and give advice in a polite way....although you may be cheaper I would not knock you or your price.

I would hope that my confidence, obvious good looks (I wish) and charm would win the day Grin  seriously, I believe its the 'confidence' (you must have self confidence, any weakness will reflect in your voice and you've lost it) and experience that you portray during this initial conversation that does it. It can work over the telephone and many is the time I have secured work when I am twice the price of the competition.

Even when I am doing the job I follow the Professor Wainwright doctrine of ' kitchen sink marketing'... so important.

You say that you are building a client base in the middle range bracket?
What happens then if you raise you prices into another higher bracket....you will lose some of your present customers...wasted effort ...why not start where you intend to be?

On that note I will wait for Mr Halliday to take me to pieces...  It has worked for me though

Regards
Derek
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 9 January 2004
The minute you UM and ARR you have lost the job Shocked
If you are not confident in what you can achieve then why would a stranger let you loose on their valuable carpets etc. I was told once, whilst working for a company in Fulham, that i was sent to awkward customers as i could talk my way into or out of anything.
If i could not blind them with science ......then i could baffle them with bullsh*t. As a 20 year old with not much experience this was handy but hopefully, 21 years later, I do not need the BULL Lips Sealed
ps. I agree with earlier post about setting a level to work too and sticking to it............AIM HIGH Wink
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 9 January 2004
Alex try quoting £30 higher than the price you are quoting now, if they  go for that price.... wooppee !!you've got an extra £30, if you come up against some genuine price resistance then tell the customer that you qoute all suite cleaning with stain protecter  if they did'nt want the stain protector then you could do it £30 cheaper.

its sailing close to the wind but I don't think its too unethical Wink

Just an idea

Mike
Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 9 January 2004
Cheers for the comments guys I think I'm going to do what you say and up my prices and be totally confident as I think this is a reason I may not be converting as many customers as I should be, I shouldn't be compared my prices with other carpet cleaners, unfortunately I have been doing. I think the reason for me doing this however is because I'm advertisting in the local paper and I have some complete jokers next to me. Oh well, here goes!!

Right, my new price for a suite is £380 without protection Grin Grin

Really, thanks for the advice and I'll keep you posted.

Alex
Posted by endresult (endresult), 9 January 2004
ad that is below mine in my local paper (n.east).
NEW YEARS SPECIAL
CARPET+3 PIECE
£20.00
what chance have you got with idiots like that.
Davy the scrubber.
Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 9 January 2004
Alex,

If you find your not converting enquiries or getting the right price I find that visiting the potential customer is the best thing you can do, I have booked far more jobs in the past doing this than pricing up on the phone.

I know its more hassel time & money but i bet the jokers (as you call them) dont do on-site quoting and as the years go by you will get regular business and wont have to visit clients as often to quote except for commercial jobs.

Always look smart, be confident, speak clearly, promise them a first class job.

Of course visiting the customers premesis dosn't work for everyone, ugly people like Mark Betts are better of just quoting over the phone. Grin

Phil

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 9 January 2004
Yeah But Phil,

You only go and visit to quote to see what the woman of the household is like  ya perve!!!   or is it to see what the man of the house is like hahaha  Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

Anyway "Gaylord" gotta dash

Turra !!
Cheers Phil,  I know what you mean I do visit the customer to quote, however, you do get people still asking for a price which I tell them I'll give you a rough price - I guess I don't want customers who just want a carpet clean on price and no quality.

Cheers everyone
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 9 January 2004
Alex

Tell them you do NOT give guesstimates over the phone and as you are a proffesional you need to see the job, if they will not let you visit they are price shopping, so you do not want them wasteing your time.
John, I hope I don't sound think here but thats never come into my head about saying no to guesstimates( I'm not taking the p*ss), I'll start to this when the next person rings and I'll take it from there. You're totally right when you say they are price shopping.

Come on phone....Ring!!

Cheers John

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 9 January 2004
Alex

The reason the first question they ask is How Much??  is because they dont know what else to say.

A large perecentage of people have never booked Carpet and Upholstery cleaning services before so its all they know to ask.

I always visit to do quotes etc, unless it is a regular customer or its just a small job like a Hall stairs and landing.

Yes we get quite a few of those small jobs. You find that sometimes people are wary of the results that can be achieved so once u do a small job for them a lot of the time they will book you to do the lounge, suite etc etc.

I had 3 calls today.

One for a H/SL which was a recomendation which i quoted over the phone. One for a complete house (2 bed terrace) which her first queston was how much and a third was also a recomendation from another customer which is a bit more complicated involving Dog and Cat wee!!

I am visiting those jobs tomorrow to book them in.

The last couple of days I have had 6 jobs come in.

2 were from yellow pages

1 was an existing customer

and the last 3 were recomendations.

Cheers

Mark

Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 11 January 2004
The answer to all of this is image. If you project the right image you will suceed .
Imagine this, you are a customer and you want your carpets cleaned. You phone two guys.
One turns up in a smart signwrittenvan. He is wearing smart work trousers and matching polo shirt with embroidered company logo. He is clean and smart.
The other guy turns up in beat up old estate car on his way home from a job. He is grubby, sweaty and is wearing old jeans with the knees out.
The second man may be a brilliant cleaner but I know who will get the job.
Image, Image Image. every time

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.