Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Help suite cleaning

Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 11 March 2004
Suite constructed 46% cotton,40% kane caron,14% nylon yellow suite. There is a white mark on cushion left by the customer who used 1001 it has been rubbed vigorously using the plastic brush top from the 1001 aerosol can.Can this suite be wet cleaned or dry cleaned only?? No lables indicating best method but there were arm covers of the same material stating dry clean only.I have never come across this kane coron before.

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 11 March 2004
Steve,

Like yourself, I have never come across this fibre.

I have come across Kane fabric - Hiatian cotton with a teflon coat, which wet cleaned successfuly but this is clearly some thing diferent.

The presence of the dry clean only label on the arm covers sugests that the same would apply to the rest of the suite - obviously the pre-existing damage is unlikely to improve much.

I would be most carefull to explain to the customer that the mystery ingredient is an unknown and that the clean would be at customers' risk - get them to sign a disclaimer or walk away.

Sorry can't be of any real help,

John.

Posted by Ken_Wainwright (Ken Wainwright), 11 March 2004
Look here

http://www.waxmanfibres.co.uk/flame_retardant.html

Safe and happy cleaningSmiley
Ken
Posted by Dave_Lee (Dave_Lee), 11 March 2004
I love arm covers, as they can give a good indication, usually without precise fibre/dye stability testing if they have been washed by the client (often the case) just by inspection for the usual signs of likely problems.
Dave.
Posted by woodman (woodman), 12 March 2004
Hi Steve

Kanecaron is used in fabric furniture construction and also in all manner of other materials because of its flame resistant qualities.
It is very durable and I would have no problem wet cleaning this sofa (pre-understanding due to other problem)

Can I give you and all other furniture cleaners a good tip:

this weekend when the missus wants to go shopping and they always want to have a look around around places such as 'Next'.
They have racks with all the materials they use on sofas in sq mt samples.These list the names of the furniture and fibre content.It is worth taking this in so when the customer calls you recognise the item to be cleaned.
Most common is polyester and all the 'suede' sofas are 100% polyester, next is cotton,nylon & viscose.All are fine to HWE clean.
Sad I know but it's something I do Embarassed
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 March 2004
Hi

M & S used to have oodles of small labelled samples you could pick up and take home...luverly jubberly

Derek
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 12 March 2004
Woodman & Derek,

Perhaps I ought to re-marry !

Since returning to batchelorhood I no longer get dragged around such places  Grin but did not realise that I was missing out on anything.

(My test-pieces tend to come from skips)

John.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 12 March 2004
John

You are really not missing anything... I just for fun I start testing all the upholstery fabrics making loud comments as to their suitablility for purpose and pointing out all the potential problems... Wink

Guaranteed to get you a quick exit from the store  Grin mind you it's very quiet in the wife department for the next half an hour... Grin  yet another bonus.

I love shopping!!!!!! Undecided

Derek
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 12 March 2004
John

Didn’t know you are into masochism? Don’t do it!

My test pieces come from the 50/50 parting plus a chainsaw, I got 75% not very good at measuring ask my customers

Shopping Grin Grin Grin

Len

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 12 March 2004
Len,

Not much danger of that - I'm well past my sell-by date Sad

Derek,

I must be better at it than you, my wife's had a 20 year half-hour.

John.
Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 13 March 2004
Since this thread has already drifted off-topic, and vaguely following the last few posts, I thought you might like a week-end grin:

Recently a "Husband Super Store" opened where women could go to choose a husband from among many men. It was laid out in five floors, with the men increasing in positive attributes as you ascended. The only rule was, once you opened the door to any floor, you HAD to choose a  man from that floor; if you went up a floor, you couldn't go back down except to leave the place, never to return. A couple of girlfriends went to the shopping centre to find some husbands...

First floor The door had a sign saying, "These men have jobs and love kids." The women read the sign and said, "Well, that's better than not having a job or not loving kids, but I wonder what's further up?" So up they went.

Second floor The sign read, "These men have high paying jobs, love kids, and are extremely good looking." "Hmmm," said the ladies, "But, I wonder what's further up?"

Third floor this sign read, "These men have high paying jobs, are extremely good looking, love kids and help with the housework." "Wow," said the women, "Very tempting." But there was another floor, so further up they went.

Fourth floor This door had a sign saying "These men have high paying  jobs, love kids, are extremely good looking, help with the housework and have a strong romantic streak, and are professional carpet cleaners." "Oh, mercy me," they cried,  "Just think what must be awaiting us further on! So up to the fifth floor they went.

On the Fifth floor The sign on that door said, "This floor is empty and exists only to prove that women are bl**dy impossible to please. The exit is to your left, we hope you fall down the stairs."

John.

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 13 March 2004
John

Nice one i like it

Len
Posted by Novice (Ian Gale), 13 March 2004
so true ......so true Smiley

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.