Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

what gets your back up

Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 2 December 2003
I would like to find out what gets your goat out in the big cleaning world .For me its mondays hate the things just cannot get going always look forward to getting in before i go out !!!!!!!!
the other six days are great

mick ( not so happy mondays) Tongue

ps lets get it out your feel better for it!

Posted by Dynafoam (Dynafoam), 2 December 2003
Mick,

How about the customer that waits till you have packed away most of your equipment, then says "Could you just.............."

John.
GOD i am  with you on that one.Also you work your soaks off all day at one job, they do not ask or make you a drink.but ask for a favour (just wisk over this mate!)
mick
Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 2 December 2003
I hate people who look down thier nose at me when I say I'm a carpet cleaner. they seam to think its some second rate job.

I just laugh inside  Wink

Mike
Smileyalso near turn up in your car it maybe better than the persons your quoting, then you P them off. (CARPET cleaner got a better car than me )

Posted by lee_gundry (lee_gundry), 2 December 2003
i didn,t move anything, as i didn,t know where you were going  to start  cleaning.

Lee G
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 2 December 2003
I voted BNP at the last local elections, hope you can read into that what my BIG gripe is Cool Cool Cool
Called out the same time as the plummer/ window fitter/ carpenter and the family come to vist / two dogs,
1001 questions from mum inlaw and walking all over the clean carpet this one is true and it was a monday
mick
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 2 December 2003
Tongue Tongue Tongue Tongue Shocked Tongue Tongue Tongue

After you set the truck up and start cleaning

Oh could you pleae move your truck I have to go somewhere.

People who wont move cars out of drive way

IVAR Grin
Posted by allencarpetclean (allencarpetclean), 2 December 2003
Doing 4 piddly jobs and 2 of them comming in with a cup of tea- for them selves & the other 2 jos no drink at all & receiving cheques from all of them.
And another thing customers who insist on you moving the big cabinet thats been their from the begginning of time only to go back in the same place.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 3 December 2003
Hi

My two pennies worth....

1. Houses without numbers, especially on dark mornings and evenings.

2. Streets/Roads with name plates on one side only...you drive past to see that this is the road you want.....aagghh!  

Derek
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 3 December 2003
I did some work for a hotel chain, if it was 40 pound or hundreds of pounds, hotel policy was to make you what two months. Clear the cheque on that date then sit on it for 27 days. they called me today and ask if i cud dry a mattress out  ASP.I did not return the call ,they did this to me four times no more.
mick
ps can you bet that one Embarassed
Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 4 December 2003
did some one named

PATEL own the hotel
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 4 December 2003
I am afraid my worse thing is simply the customer that watches you empty machine, roll up hoses and stick all bits in the van before saying " I wonder if you have time to clean this other......." Shocked
Posted by allencarpetclean (allencarpetclean), 4 December 2003
When you tell the customer the final price on completion and they look at you and say "sorry how much"..............."thought it would be alot more than that"
....AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Posted by Kinver_Clean (Kinver_Clean), 5 December 2003
On the job yesterday I told the lady how much it was and she gave me a cheque for £10 more with the comment thats how much you charged me last time....what a star!

trevor
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 5 December 2003
My 1st job (last week)...

Got a call to clean 14 staris and a 5m hallway, asked if there were any stains, yes was the reply, a wine stain...

When I arrived the wine stain turned out to be a BOTTLE of wine stain that had fallen down the stairs!

got it out though Wink

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by Scots_cleaner (Scots_cleaner), 5 December 2003
Red or White wine?
Posted by martin_606 (martin_606), 5 December 2003
It was Red wine and had been there for 2 weeks apparently.

Came out a treat

Regards

Martin Cool
Posted by strakercleaning (strakercleaning), 5 December 2003
Red RX ..............never fails Grin
Any other suggestions Undecided
Posted by woodman (woodman), 5 December 2003
Cry

When you get a week of cleaning mostly upholstery( and a  some carpets) and then find out that next week is nearly all the same Angry

Ooh my aching back.
Posted by carpetmas5 (carpetmas5), 5 December 2003
I had a call today help dogs do do's all over ground floor, Yes lady I can help out , O good how much, Min £40.00 plus. I thought it would no more then £10.00!
Posted by woodman (woodman), 5 December 2003
£10.00 ?  she must be barking mad. Grin

I hope you poo pooed it Roll Eyes

Sorry , I'll get me coat Embarassed
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 5 December 2003
Undecided glad i am not the only one with a bad back ,four hours on a damask suite.all for the love of money

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 5 December 2003
Hope you did the 2 carpets too, as my local Splash and Dash guy does!!!  

All for £49.00!!

But 4 hours, he could have done the whole house and next door as well, he would allow his guys 1.5 hours to do a suite and 2 carpets.
Posted by MICHAEL_GAYTON (MICHAEL_GAYTON), 5 December 2003
Cheesystill got the num back i would down load pics of suite
i only got £200  + vat / three cups of tea/ two bic's
and cake and £1.40 pence down the side of suite .no i did not keep it.i sleep well that night

Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 6 December 2003
My mate had a job recently. Hall landing stairs and big lounge. Several stains.
Nice lady opens door, he cleans then holds his hand out for money.
She says "Oh Im not paying, I don't know anything about it"
He says "well who is paying?"
She says "the landlord I guess, I didn't book you"

You can guess the rest.
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 6 December 2003
Hi John

The actual time allowed for an operator to clean a house full of carpets AND a three piece suite is One hour and Fifty minutes.

This information was given to me a year or so ago by one of the MD's of a Splash and Dash style organisation.

No ...I didn't sign up! Grin

Derek
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 6 December 2003
Why on earth not Derek, didn't you fancy the idea of a 20 minute tea break on every jobHuh

Cool Cool Cool
Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 6 December 2003
Tea breaks John....what are they?  Wink  Grin

Once I get started I go onto auto pilot.... seriously though, according to the Gospels of 'Our Kenneth' the tea/coffee time is the, all important, 'Kitchen sink marketing' time...

He happens to be right yet again (Dammit) ..the most productive item on the jobsheet... the tea/coffee that is Grin

Derek
Posted by Londoner (Londoner), 7 December 2003
NOT GETTING PAID
that is my major gripe. Call me old fashioned but I get a bit offended by this.

" Im just the au pair and I haven't got any money"

" the insurance company is payng - send them the bill"

" I thought my husband would be home by now"

" I didn't book you, it must have been the landlord"
Posted by woodman (woodman), 10 December 2003
Angry

Booked regular lady in 3 weeks ago for two day job at large property, carpets, furniture and curtains.
Get there today she's changed her mind only wants half the original work carried out asks can this be done in a day instead as she wants to go Christmas shopping.

Now this does get my back up as she's had plenty of time to inform me instead of waiting till I turn up but it's a tricky one as she is having a few hundred pounds worth of work done.

So I try not to show my anger,smile tell her it's no problem and move on Sad

Posted by Derek (Derek Bolton), 10 December 2003
So you now have a day off to do your Christmas shopping. ...well done... puts the rest of us to shame

Derek
Posted by allencarpetclean (allencarpetclean), 10 December 2003
first job of the day working upstairs & smell burning run down stairs machine is smoking taken in for repairs back Saturday if Lucky.
Gets out back up machine turn on and pop electric trips another machine knackered vacuum gone.
Come home from work ....seems abit cold in here heating should be on........bloody boiler has packed in
Who was it said bad luck comes in threes
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 10 December 2003
If it wasn't for Bad Luck, I wouldn't have any Luck!!!
Posted by woodman (woodman), 11 December 2003
Derek,

Did you say day off? Christmas shopping ?

Bah Humbug

I will be doing another job else where and if not catching up on all the office work I've let slip. Sad
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 11 December 2003
I hate electrical wiring problems. Recently plugged my ninja into two diferrent sockets just to be sure, and Bang! one of them had been wired off a lighting 5a circuit. Only wifey in so I went to the fuse board to reset it and its wired fuses not MCB's, and no fuse wire. Wifey rings hubby who turns up with fuse wire gives wire to me and goes. I was only cleaning landing and staircase, £ 35. and nearly two hours. Cant wait for my t/m. no more electrical probs.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.