Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Window Cleaning Issues - Canvassing, pole systems, pricing, problems, etc.

Tools to make window cleaning easier

Posted by stevety44 (stevety44), 8 March 2004
Hello,
I am a manufacturer of cleaning equipment (mostly carpet cleaning).  What unique device or tool would be helpful in your business of cleaning windows?  Or how can the tools available be made better in your opinion?

I am steve, at www.westpakusa.com

Thank You, Steve
Posted by gibbouk (gibbouk), 8 March 2004
i think on every forum about window cleaning this one crops up. i have a few modified pieces that make some jobs a bit easier. interesting to see what comes up this time
Posted by BeeClean (BeeClean), 8 March 2004
i dont know about window cleaning tools but someone should come up with a decent electric keyboard cleaner. they'd make a killing!!!
Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 9 March 2004
One of those hover boards like they have on "Back to the future"

That would be really great!

Philip
Posted by fez (fez), 9 March 2004
I'd like a decent squeegee rubber cutter to get perfect edges.

Also, maybe a scrim pouch that stays open all the time (less fumbling around for my sill cloth).
Posted by AMG (AMG), 9 March 2004

How about scrim in more manageable sizes, big ones can be useful sometimes but more often than not I find the standard size too cumbersome, and if you cut them down they eventually begin to fray around the edges.

Andy  

Posted by simonb (simonb), 9 March 2004
I have patented an ADJUSTABLE ladder stand-off which is much safer than the one currently available.

The current one is an expired patent so every tom, dick and harry makes em and the price is low. We could sell my version at a much better price,

If u are interested in manufacturing it email your fax no and I will send you the drawings.
Simon

Posted by stevety44 (stevety44), 9 March 2004
Hello Simon,

It would be interesting to look at, to see if it can be practically, and profitably made.

My FAX is (USA) 714 530-6995

my email is stevety44@hotmail.com

Thank You, Steve
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 9 March 2004
on 03/09/04 at 09:18:02, fez wrote:
I'd like a decent squeegee rubber cutter to get perfect edges.

Also, maybe a scrim pouch that stays open all the time (less fumbling around for my sill cloth).

Do you have the Sorbo one fez?
Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 9 March 2004
What I'd really appreciate at this time of year, is having my overall sleeves made out of the same stuff that goes in to Kleenex Balm Tissues.   Wink
Posted by simonb (simonb), 10 March 2004
I suppose you blow your nose on your scrim.
Posted by fez (fez), 10 March 2004
on 03/09/04 at 22:03:54, karlosdaze wrote:
Do you have the Sorbo one fez?

Is that a Sorbo Rubber cutter? No, is it good Karlos?
I don't think I've seen one.

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 10 March 2004
I suppose you blow your nose on your scrim.

Not at all sir, scrims are for drying your hands on  Wink

As per most folk working outdoors, I use the Thumb Handkerchief - if the right nostril needs to be blown, then apply the left thumb to the open end of the left nostril, thereby closing same. Take a deep breath through the mouth and then exhale sharply through the right nostril (obviously), remembering to take into consideration all possible trajectories of the expected viscous projectile.

I love Method Statements, don't you?

It's on days when I have a dribbly nose, that the Balm Cuffs (TM) would be usefull.
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 10 March 2004
on 03/10/04 at 12:07:20, fez wrote:
Is that a Sorbo Rubber cutter? No, is it good Karlos?
I don't think I've seen one.

Yes its at   http://www.sorboproducts.com/products.html

But I think your talking about cutting to individual size i.e. 10" 18" etc.
If anyones used this squeegee sharpner, can they give us a review?
Posted by karlosdaze (karlosdaze), 10 March 2004
Its under squeegee rubber, scroll down and its called the docket!
Posted by fez (fez), 11 March 2004
on 03/10/04 at 21:09:33, karlosdaze wrote:
Its under squeegee rubber, scroll down and its called the docket!

Thanks for that Karlos, I found it. No, I was talking about cutting lengths to fit different squeegees accurately.

That does look a cool tool though, have you used Sorbo products? They are expensive, but are they worth the extra? Huh
Posted by Neil (wylie), 11 March 2004
Hi Fez
I use a set of secateurs which are sold by a friend of mine though his mail order firm.
I find them excellent they give a perfect cut every time
By putting the rubber into the channel first and then butting the channel up to the base part of these secateurs I not only get a good cut but I always get an equal length which means my technique does not suffer.
I am looking into marketing these at the window cleaning industry so hopefully you may see them in a catalogue near you soon.

Posted by WavieDavie (WavieDavie), 11 March 2004
I am looking into marketing these at the window cleaning industry so hopefully you may see them in a catalogue near you soon.

Neil, I do hope you haven't forgotten about product testing before presenting them to the market? I'm sure a few of us here would be willing to run some practical, non-destructive, testing of these secateurs for you. Just say the word Wink
Posted by p_and_j_cleaning (p_and_j_cleaning), 14 March 2004
I use secateurs they aer exelent for cutting rubbers, the anvil type are what i use, they are expensive though £20 plus the ROCOL ones i got but you can get new blades and anvil for them.
Will the ones you are going to sell as good as these, any idea of price yet, or were can i see these.
   PETE
Posted by Ian_Giles (Ian_Giles), 18 March 2004
Fez,
With regards to pouches that stay open.

I now use the ones produced by Unger, but I used to have them made up specially when I first started as no major Manufacturer made pouches.
But I designed ones that had pleated sides, this way you did not need wide pouches or ones that were as high as you had much greater depth.
The ones I made myself were far more comfortable in use.
Being as they could hang open a lot further, we also had a popper fastened flap for security, which could also be tucked flat inside your pouch while working.

Anyway, just thought I would say that they can be made! Have even thought of writing to unger myself as I find the ones they make so frustrating.
Wish the guy that made them up for was still in business as I reckon he could have had a potential sideline selling to the likes of us.....

regards,
Ian
Posted by Reuben_Reynolds (Reuben_Reynolds), 24 March 2004
Fez and Ian,

Have a look at ionicsystems.com, we sell our own range of window cleaning hand tools look under Top Tools.

We have a soft leather pouch in our range, very good quality would last a lifetime.

have a look Shocked

kind regards

Reuben

Posted by Silly_Philly (Philip Hanson), 25 March 2004
Reuban,

If you could make a pole that reached over back gates, then was able to snake around the corner to do the back windows, that would be great!

Ive considered using my pole to pole-vault over a few high gates, but have resisted temptation so far.

Philip

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.