Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Ideal starter machine

Posted by Martin_Riley (Martin_Riley), 17 December 2003
After talking with Neil the lad who was seeking advice about sarting out in carpet cleaning last night, I tried to convey my idea of the best starter machine for a newbie to this industry. Neil seems quite keen to buy a new one and I reccomended that he look for the following spec when considering a machine to use.
1. Twin 3 stage vac motors
2. 100-135 psi Pump
3.3kw Immersion or preferably inline water heater
4. 2x25ft lengths of solution and vac hose
5. Twin jet stainless steel wand
6. Stainless steel hand tool

Neil! I would like to just add that while price is an important consideration, saving £50 or so on the purchase price tends to backfire inthis industry when you take into consideration technical backup, product support and good old customer service. That £50 will soon disappear when your stuck with an idle machine that the cheap guy can't fix till next week. Hope this and the other answers help. Merry Xmas everyone. Martin Riley
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 17 December 2003
I am a newby but i think the inline solution heating is looking like a must for me. I am not entirely happy with what i am getting atn the tool by the time its trevelled a fair way , its more tepid than hot.

I currently don't have one but will be looking to soon , the rest of what i have is at the bottom of this post.

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 18 December 2003
Hi Alex

That Ninja gives plenty of heat are you alling time for the water to get hot??.

John
ALLOWING

Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 18 December 2003
Alex

What length of hose are u running??

I run 50 ft and dont have  aprob with heat even with out the heat exchanger?

Also if your jets are small then this restricts the flow and so the solution is in the hoses too long cooling down

Like John says, if u fill up from cold then the water takes a long time to heat up.

Can you leave the heater on while running the motors etc  as this helps as the waters geting warmer as you work?

Also I know the pump is not as powerful as it should be so maybe thats another problem.

Before you start extracting run the solution through your hand tool into the fresh water tank until its coming out hot. This will warm up the hose as well and you will start cleaning with hot solution straightaway.

If you have the heater just set at 40 degrees by the time its travelled through the hose its cooled down so krank up that thermostat.

If i think of anything else will let ya know.

Mark
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 18 December 2003
Hi John and Mark

Thanks for the advice i will crank her up a lot more on the stat and warm through the hose like you suggest.

I have not done many seroius cleans yet so its probably lack of experiance. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

If you turn up the thermostat to MAX, you will blow steam!!

Fill the machine before you do your vacuuming and connecting your hoses, only put in a couple of buckets of hot tap water to start with and top up with hot tap water again when you have reached max' temp.
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 18 December 2003
Alex, on occasions I use three hoses with no problem with temp (or vacuum). I always set the stat on max, fill with hot water, and start cleaning. I rarely use my power brush as it uses more water and takes a lot longer to clean.
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 18 December 2003
SteamHuh

With a 3kw heater mmmmm  nope dont think so not after its travelled along the ol pipes and out the other end.

Alex

Do as Dave says fill her up with hot tap water krank up the stat ond go clean.

I just returned from a job just now and done exactly that.

Water was tepid but by the time i had pre sprayed and pratted about it was nice an hot comin gout the wand, and i didnt use the heat exchanger this time cos i was lazy hhahahhaa

Cheers

Mark

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 19 December 2003
You read that right Mark, STEAM !!!
Posted by Dave_Parry (Dave Parry), 19 December 2003
May be wrong (Usually am) but I do sometimes get steam coming out of jets, but think that is probably due to sudden drop in pressure, and not boiling of water. dont think that the stats are the most accurate in the world. Usually happens when been stopped for a while, but left machine running.  Either way never had a problem with damage to carpets.

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.