Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Starting a window cleaning business - Equipment you need, suppliers to use and trade organisations to join, etc.

knowing what to say

Posted by JohnM1 (JohnM1), 30 January 2004
Hi guys

I have been out today with flyers and tomrrow I will go out on the knocker, but never really know what to say when the door opens.

I say "hello, I am a local window cleaner and I wondered if I could be of service to you?  To my mind that sound crap, but can't think what else to say.

What do you chaps that have doing it for years say when cold calling?

I sure the new boys out have the same problem as me, so any help would be gratefull.

John
Posted by chartermarque (chartermarque), 30 January 2004
Hi John

I am in the same boat as you.  Started by 'intoducing myself'  - "Hello I am  a window cleaner and am looking for new customers"  but have since 'evolved' to say "Hello, would you like me to clean your windows"...ie promoting a yes or no response.  This seems a bit better but keen to learn how the professionals do it Wink

Mark
Posted by Bones (Bones), 30 January 2004
I've been into this for about 3- 4 months now and when i was first canvassing i was telling potential customers that "i am expanding my window cleaning service to thier area and would they be interested).

"Expanding" sounds better than "Starting" Wink

Also, if they said no thank or we have a cleaner, just leave a card with them and say "please keep this just in case" because i am now getting calls from customers who say that the cleaner done two months and has not returned  Grin

Hope this helps,

Mikey
Posted by mickeyfat (VGC), 31 January 2004
Have you got a window cleaner     yes/no
if yes then i say " sorry for bothering you ..ask if they would like my number just in case and give them a little card i get made up cheap with my name and number
If No then...Would you like one  ...(they somtimes say they do it themselfs...idepending on the person i joke about and tell them i put my life at risk for them..its only 5/6/7 pound a month)..and then go on to hopfully getting the job Cool

i find asking have you got rather would you like one sort of makes them realise they havnt and proberly might /would.....did that make senseHuh!?! Huh
Posted by pdhanson (Silly Philly), 31 January 2004
Here's a response - rather than just calling indiscriminantly, call only at houses that are dirty.  Its easy to spot these and the take-up rate is at least 3x as good.

"Hi, I was in the area and I noticed you dont seem to have a window cleaner. [pause for response] The reason I noticed of course, is that I am a window cleaner! [pause for response]  I'd just thought I'd ask if you would like them doing?"

I'd have to advise against pushing a card onto them if they already have a window cleaner - that is asking for trouble.

Silly
Posted by Bones (Bones), 31 January 2004
on 01/31/04 at 21:54:04, Silly Philly wrote:
I'd have to advise against pushing a card onto them if they already have a window cleaner - that is asking for trouble.

Silly

I disagree with that silly, sorry.

I always leave a card because there are so many cleaners who appear and dissapear after 2 or 3 months, at least if you leave a card you will be thier first call if there cleaner is a fly-by-night. Grin

Mikey

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.