Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

How to Stop telephone sales pests!

Posted by chris_rushton (Chris_R), 6 March 2004
Hello to you all,
I thought I would share this peace of info with you, because I have found it to be a great help.
The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) helps you to make sure your telephone number is no longer available to organisations who may telephone you with offers and information you do not wish to receive.

Under Government legislation introduced on 1 May 1999 it is unlawful to make unsolicited direct marketing calls to individuals who have indicated that they do not want to receive such calls.

This includes a small business. Since I registered 2 months ago the amount of cold calls I get have dwindled down to about one a month.My wife owns a florist business, and again nearly all cold calls have stopped.
Its takes about 2 mins to register online at
http://www.tpsonline.org.uk/tps/
Although we all have to make a living, I personally HATE telephone sales calls Angry!They always phone when Im having my tea, and they tie up the phone line.
The same law applies to calls to Fax numbers , and its even possible to have (most) junk mail stopped.
Remember, if a company phones you after you have registered, you can report them, and they could be prosecuted. Grin
Enjoy your leisure time Wink

http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/fps/     (Stops Fax calls)
http://www.mpsonline.org.uk/mpsr/  (Stops junk mail)

Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 6 March 2004
Chris

I wish this could be applied to price shoppers

But I do know what you mean I just hang up or let them waffle then say this has just cost you a phone call “good by” Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Len

Posted by safecleanlakes (safecleanlakes), 6 March 2004
Does this apply to freephone no's??
Posted by chris_rushton (Chris_R), 6 March 2004
Not sure, check out the site for info.
Posted by squeaky (squeaky), 6 March 2004
I Love price shoppers Cheesy Grin Wink
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 6 March 2004
This is my current pet hate!

When I'm out and working, my calls are diverted to my mobile, so I pay mobile phone rate when people call me.

I recieved my bill today from BT and the cost of diverted calls was £37 plus vat.
I estimate that 30% of these calls are from cold calling sales, most of which are from Asia!

I know this because they call in the morning and wish me a nice evening Undecided

I now pleasantly tell them to call after 8pm, but now considering telling them to f*** o** Huh

John Milnes
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 7 March 2004
Cris,

Ihave just registered on the web site that you posted.

I have also registered to stop silent calls which I get every day and cost me money.

Thanks for the info.

John Milnes Grin
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 7 March 2004
I wish you had not printed this info. One of my most sucessful lead generation methods is Cold Calling.

Telephone and door knock, kill it off and you will make it harder for start ups.

Our Economy depends on people selling goods and services.

EU is also planning to ban leaflet drops and unsolicited letters

What method will you have left to find new customers

Better get dialing before I am banned

Ian
Posted by ALEXDH (ALEXDH), 7 March 2004
whats this about banning leaflet drops?  Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked

Posted by Ivar_Haglund (Ivar_Haglund), 7 March 2004
Simple

Can you hold please

then I go take the dog for a walk

Or ask if you can have the persons home phone number

and call them back latte   at 4am

Or

Hello hello HELLLLLOOOO

Have fun with these folks

IVAR Tongue
Posted by lenpg (Len Gribble), 7 March 2004
Ian

Unsolicited phone calls is one thing, which needs control, door knocking you tell them too bog off, leaflet you don’t want, you use in the toilet or give to the council to recycle, hopefully not mine

On my advertisements I use an 0800 number I have yet to have unsolicited phone call If I did I would ask them what number did the dial then have a right go then send them a bill. But all phone calls of this type I receive are via a domestic type number then they get an answer phone or fax.

Re EU what’s new?

Len

Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 7 March 2004
I had problems with Faxes comming in the middle of the night, I registered with these folks and they've killed the bloody lot.

Just registered my landline number and also mobile to stop SMS.

Re JUNK mail I put it back into their supplied postpaid envalope and send it back to them.
Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 7 March 2004

When I try to regester i just get a white screen.

Am I doing somthing wrong and if so what? Huh

Phil
Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_Gourlay), 8 March 2004
Yes the Eu has a directive on the back burner to ban leaflet drops.

John I thought you were very keen on direct mail as a marketing statergy.

There is another directive about to come out banning unsolicited mail.

Door knocking Trading standardss are trying to ban.

I believe in complete deregulation of small business ie less than 5 employees to give them the freedom to grow without restrictions

This also includes paying tax at no more than 20%

I could go on but I wont
Posted by John_Flynn (John_Flynn), 8 March 2004
You thought wrong, I only mail to exisiting clients.
Posted by Dennis (Dennis), 8 March 2004
I did not realise sole traders/partnerships could register! Mobiles too. Excellent  Grin

The pests who most get up my nose are the gits who, when you decline their wonderful offer, start arguing with you!!!! You know who you are Yellow Pages new commercial directory.  Shocked

Rant over, I feel better now.  Wink
Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 9 March 2004

Please,

Someone tell me why when I try to register all I get is a white blank screen. Angry Angry Angry

Phil
Posted by SteveTruman (SteveTruman), 9 March 2004
on 03/09/04 at 19:38:46, Phil_@_Deep_Clean wrote:
Please,

Someone tell me why when I try to register all I get is a white blank screen. Angry Angry Angry

Phil

Phil the only thing i can think is you have a firewall on stopping the cookies. Hope this helps.

Steve

Posted by Dennis (Dennis), 9 March 2004
Phil,
The first registration page appears to use javascript. Do you have this enabled? If you use Internet Explorer 5 go here to see how to enable it.
http://www.cedar.u-net.com/ie5d.htm

If it's not that or the cookies you could have your cordwangel wire crossed with you widget module.  Shocked Grin

Posted by Phil_@_Deep_Clean (Phil_@_Deep_Clean), 9 March 2004

Cheers fellas,

It was my Firewall, knocked it off now its ok.

Had problems with viruses lately, so I have downloaded just about every anti virus software possible to stop these b******s  screwing up my machine, even got a Security Guard and an armed gunman outside. Grin

Machine is completely clear now, just wish I could get my hands on these people that do these things.

Phil.

Posted by Ian_Hare (Ian Hare), 10 March 2004
You could empty your dirty water over their carpets!
Grin

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.