Get listed in the Spick and Span Directory

Carpet Cleaning Issues - Carpet construction, upholstery cleaning, stain removal, equipment, events, etc.

Are Ashbys That Desperate For Business

Posted by stevegunn (Steve Gunn), 28 October 2003
I enquired to Ashbys about their ninja carpet cleaner and since then have received a brochure/quote about five times in the last 6 weeks each letter has this is a special offer if ordered before end of november.Don't get me wrong i really want one of his machines but this constant onslaught of promotional stuff is really putting me off.
Posted by MB (MB), 28 October 2003
Ok, get this,

about a month or so ago i enquired at Ashbys about there Heat Exchanger as the heater on my Exel had packed in and was a complete wiring job, so i thought their steammate woud be a good idea.

Phoned Ashbys and was told,

"Well for the price of our Steam Mate you could put a down payment on one of opur Ninjas etc etc lease this, lease that la la la la

Before i knew it I had a guy on the phone from a finance company, Ashbys phoning me up again with a quote for about £4k for new machine, heat exchanger, 400 psi pump and nuclear resistant solution hose etc te cetc  hahahahha

Then, as you have mentioned, 2 brochures plus numerous e mails.

mmmmmmmm !!!!!!

To be honest a new machine would be nice but for that price i could be well on my way to a used t/m.

To be honest it put me off as i was only "enquiring" on the cost of a heat exchanger!!!

Mark

PS  Anyway I got a heat exchanger now (thanks Mike) so wont be needing a new machine and to be honest if  was in the market which i may well be after xmas if i dont go for a bane etc  I will be buying one of alltecs  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 28 October 2003
What type of heat exchanger did you get in the end, make price etc as I may be looking for an in line heater to add to my Ninja?
John
Posted by MB (MB), 28 October 2003
I believe it was a Kleenrite heat exchanger,  It was off Mike.

Mark

Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 30 October 2003
I must admit I was not very happy with the guy from the finance company calling me and especially when he quoted me a stupid price.

Oh well, I've order the machine now because I believe it's a good unit, however, I don't like the way they seem to money grab.
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 30 October 2003
Alex

What configuration did u get in the end??

If it were me I would cancle the bugger and get an alltec advantage.

Mark

Posted by Northerclean (Alex), 30 October 2003
Mark,

I ended up sticking with the same config of:
Ashby Ninja 400
2x3stage vaccum motors
135psi induction motor pressure pump with full flow control Adjustable(0-70c) 3kw internal heater
Hot recirculating solvent adaption, stainless steel curtain tool, 25ft recirculation solvent solution hose, 25ft exhaust hose, 25ft solvent tolerant vacuum hose, solvent uplift tube, 5lt container cage, large hose bag
Kleenrite upholstery tool
2x25ft wire reinforced solution hose and heavy duty vacuum hose
stainless steel wand & hand tool
Portable V2 steamMate
1.5hp hurricane pro air mover

As i think it's a good marketing tool for me.

You gone with altec then?
Posted by Cloverleaf (Cloverleaf), 30 October 2003
Alex,
I know what you mean by money grabbing.
If I order a few seals from them in a jiffy bag they charge me £2.50 p&p, where another company only charges me .65p (the real cost).
Any one else found this?
Posted by MB (Mark Betts), 31 October 2003
No, still using my extracta exel.

I like the look of the alltec advantage and its very very quiet.

When i was at the alltec extravaganza Chris switched the machine on while the seminar was going on in the other room.

And it didnt disturb them.

I do quite a few old peoples warden controlled flats etc so i need a quiet machine as it is left in the corridors and the old biddies dont like the noise.

I see they twisetd your arm to buy the hot solvent kit as well thenHuh?  mmmmmmmmmm!!!

Cheers

Mark

Posted by Keith_Simm (Keith_Simm), 31 October 2003
I am just starting out carpet cleaning with the same package as Alex and I am looking to market the business ie:

feature in local press
                  leaflets
                  possible mailshots
I  would like to make as great an impact as possibleand would welcome any advice              

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 31 October 2003
Keith if you are just starting up and have no idea about marketing then look at the 'marketing manual' topic below and buy it.  £250 is a good investment

When starting there are things you need to know, you can learn them as you go along or you can learn them right now.

mike
Beg, Buy, Borrow and steal as much marketing info as you can.

It doesnt have to be on carpet cleaning either.

Best carpet cleaning marketing site is

http://cleaning.sytes.net/

But also look at www.cleaningsuccess.com and subscribe for the free report.

Go to www.dankennedy.com and also subscribe to the marketing tips there. The www.icsmag.com board is another good one.

Also go on an alltec Discovery Day when one comes round. You can find about this on www.alltec.com.

Also try Joe Polish at www.joepolish.com

Ta Ta

Mark

PS  Sometimes the simplest ideas are the most effective. Try to be different in your approach to marketing. I have tried an idea (it was my idea but no doubt been used before) this week which has literally cost me zero to implement and has brought in £180.00 from 2 jobs. I am expecting  alot more than that once it kicks in.

In fact its that bloody good!!!!  I am thinking of getting on the bandwagon and flogging the idea  hahahahah

Email me and i will send you the info but dont post it on the board because it is only effective if you are the only cleaner in your area doing it.

sales@carpet-magic.co.uk

Posted by mike_halliday (mike_halliday), 31 October 2003
Ok Mark, you know my address (henry@hull24.co) send it to me

please

Mike Wink

Ps I've installed MS messenger 6.1  
Okey Doke

Just popping out will send it later.

Mark

Posted by Ian_G. (Ian_G.), 1 November 2003
If they are buying a machine from Ashbys they should get all the information contained in Manual on the Marketing and Motivation Course unless Chris does not train for Asbys anymore. You have got to be able to do shorthand as there was no hand out as Chris did not want info to be circulated around trade

When I first srarted I was going to buy a machine from Ashbys but they were trying to sell to much kit in one go.
A few simple questions and they could have got the deal.  Then my wife said I dont like Ashbys.

So I went somewhere else.

However I now have one of their machines and wish I had got one in first place

I thought Dereck was very nice and his younger son

Posted by Terry_Burrows (Terry_Burrows), 4 November 2003
Winkits funny I have had the same sales pitches as well,there machines are good I got mine nearly new,not from them Winkthey will not take a company kite,to which I found a little bit insulting as they knew who I was,I am at the nec so are they I can understand not trusting everyone,I was hardly not going to pay Huh
Posted by carpet_bright (carpet_bright), 4 November 2003
I have also received several info packs from Ashby's. I only wanted a price  Angry
I've also been invited to a FREE demonstration, ok if I lived in Kent Tongue
The Ninja looks a good bit of gear though. I am currently using Prochem's Steameasy 400 & Cheyenne but may look into Ashbys when I expand the business in the future.

Regards to you fellow carpet &  upholstery cleaning technicians  Wink

Paul

This page is a thread posted to the cleanitup forum at www.cleanitup.co.uk and archived here for reference. To jump to the archive index please follow this link.